is it possible to cut/resize a Hart metal rack?

Is it possible to cut this rack and re-rivet it? What kind of tools would I need to make this happen? The solar people ate up some of my nook wall for their meter, need to cut off about 5 1/2 inches.  Originally used a wood shelf version of this that's 36", but still won't fit.. also one shelf snapped due to the weight and also cats love to peepee on it (they did my last one). This wire rack has never been peepee'd on ;) 

pMlsytN.png

How much does it need to hold? Does it need to be pretty? You might be able to do it with wire snips, a hacksaw, a drill, and replace the rivets with bolts? It's probably less work to just find an ideally sized shelf unit, but I think it's possible to do if you enjoy DIY puzzles and have some basic tools and parts lying around. Probably very easy if you have a grinder and can weld...

Each wire platform is held in place by the metal rim of the shelf? Is this a continuous band of metal, or is it multiple pieces joined at the corners? If it's multiple pieces, then just shorten the length-wise pieces with a hacksaw and copy the joining method that they used in the corners. Otherwise, if it's a continuous piece, then I'd cut through one of the shorter ends, bend the existing lengthwise segments so that they are the appropriate length, then trim the excess so that some of it overlaps and bolt the overlapped section together so that it forms a new short end of the frame. Then trim the wire platform to match. You can probably drill holes into the side of the frame and add bolts to replace the mounting pins. Also before cutting, see how the wire platforms are actually held together. I can't see from the photo, but you might end up needing to weave and bend the edges so that it stays in a grid after cutting them.

Thanks, ok bolts sound about right, it didn't click in my mind lol. It was holding a few old computers, but one shelf had a heat press for T-Shirts (that shelf has 2 layer of wire rack and it holds up well). The racks are held in by an inner rim that goes all the way around. I have a flat board for under the press so it's level and solid. For a few years now, it's been doing well.