I have a RTX 3080 not being used and I'm not sure what to do, Need Advice

Ok I know the title sounds strange but I will explain - In april of 2021 I was able to purchase a 3070 through EVGA because I was on the waitlist for a bunch of models, and my turn in the queue finally came up, so I went ahead and bought one. I was upgrading from a GTX 980 TI That was giving me problems at the time so I was happy to be able to get a new card especially when everything was crazy. Then about 8 months later I got an e-mail saying my queue in the position was up, and this time it was for a 3080! I was saying to myself holy ###### what do I do? so I went ahead and bought it, with the intention on using the new 3080 in a future system I want to build. Fast-Forward to 2022, here we are in July and I still haven't built my new system yet, which I'm mostly waiting for the newer cpu's and stuff to come out..and I am just kind of freaking out, like what do I do...do I use the 3080 I got in my system I want to build? do I use my 3070 and sell the 3080? I'm just so confused and going crazy because I know it sounds like a weird problem to have...but I honestly just need some advice, as strange as this sounds.

So you have 2x current gen gpu sat there and you're waiting for next gen cpu's to arrive to use them?

Take advantage of the low(er) prices and just build a system now. Keep the 3080 there's a nice performance bump over the 3070 and flip that.

On 22/07/2022 at 21:17, cacoe said:

So you have 2x current gen gpu sat there and you're waiting for next gen cpu's to arrive to use them?

Take advantage of the low(er) prices and just build a system now. Keep the 3080 there's a nice performance bump over the 3070 and flip that.

Yes I was going to wait to build a raptorlake based system, I just can't decide if I want to go with DDR5 or DDR4 based build because I want 64 GB of memory and the price of that would probabaly be insane compared to DDR4

Just seems crazy to me to drop that kind of money for (at the time) the best tech availible, only to let it gather dust and put it into a system where it'll be the oldest part in there.

Not that it will be bad but if you'd just saved the money, you would have potentially been buying a 4xxx gpu with it.

On 22/07/2022 at 21:22, cacoe said:

Just seems crazy to me to drop that kind of money for (at the time) the best tech availible, only to let it gather dust and put it into a system where it'll be the oldest part in there.

Not that it will be bad but if you'd just saved the money, you would have potentially been buying a 4xxx gpu with it.

Well I mean it's not like I paid a scalper's price, I paid the retail price for it

On 23/07/2022 at 02:26, Sharpstick68 said:

Well I mean it's not like I paid a scalper's price, I paid the retail price for it

Yeah but the value proposition is lowered over time by simply not using it, as better tech is released.