Enough of Windows 11 and its sluggish performance. Back to Windows 10.

Been trying to give Windows 11 the benefit of the doubt and a chance but I have had enough. This OS just keeps getting worse and worse with every update, while Windows 10 just keeps getting better and faster. This is ridiculous and insulting. Windows 10 runs and performs like a charm on my HP laptop, but Windows 11 is just plain horrible, slow, sluggish and unusable. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 03:11, cmcgregor80 said:

Might be time to upgrade your computer. Windows 11 runs flawless for me and im on a 3 yr old computer. Run some virus scans maybe check for malware. It definitely shouldn't be sluggish.

Windows 11 is slower than 10 though, I’ve recently compared both even as clean installs. 

I don’t know about the OP, but my machine doesn’t need to be upgraded. Windows 11 needs to be optimized. 22H2 helps, but it still has a way to go. 

Applications are plenty fast. It’s the OS itself that is visibly slower.  MS is actively fixing performance issues and memory leaks all the time. Even they know there are problems. 

Edited by adrynalyne

Windows 11 runs great on both of my unsupported laptops. One is even an ancient Gateway that had Windows 8 on it originally. Didn't run all that bad with the original HDD in it either. Much better with a SSD though, obviously.

• Like 2

Hello,

It would probably be useful to share the brand, model and specs of your computer. 

Having that information really does make a difference when discussing and troubleshooting issues. 

Case in point:  I remember when Microsoft Windows XP first came out how many people absolutely hated it because it ran so slowly on their hardware, had no driver support for their hardware, and when it did, the drivers that were available were buggy and prone to crashing.  Totally unlike Windows 2000 or Windows 98, which ran just fine for them on a 233MHz CPU and 64MB of RAM.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 29/07/2022 at 06:57, goretsky said:

Hello,

It would probably be useful to share the brand, model and specs of your computer. 

Having that information really does make a difference when discussing and troubleshooting issues. 

Case in point:  I remember when Microsoft Windows XP first came out how many people absolutely hated it because it ran so slowly on their hardware, had no driver support for their hardware, and when it did, the drivers that were available were buggy and prone to crashing.  Totally unlike Windows 2000 or Windows 98, which ran just fine for them on a 233MHz CPU and 64MB of RAM.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I’m not OP but this system runs considerably faster on Windows 10. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue in my case. 

Ryzen 9 3950X 16c/32t 

128GB DDR4 3600

Gigabyte Aorus Master

Gigabyte PCIe gen4 2TB SSD (windows installed here)

Samsung 970 evo PCIe gen3 1TB SSD

Samsung 960 evo PCIe gen3 500GB SSD

WD Gold 8TB HDD

Sapphire 16GB RX 6800 XT

Hardware TPM

Edited by adrynalyne

Hello,

Windows 11 initially had some issues on AMD-based systems.  A combination of motherboard BIOS (UEFI) firmware updates and device driver updates reportedly resolved those issues, though in some cases a little hunting had to be done to find the correct drivers if the system manufacturer hadn't yet provided them to customers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 29/07/2022 at 08:30, adrynalyne said:

I’m not OP but this system runs considerably faster on Windows 10. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue in my case. 

Ryzen 9 3950X 16c/32t 

128GB DDR4 3600

Gigabyte Aorus Master

WD Gold 8TB HDD

Sapphire 16GB RX 6800 XT

Hardware TPM

On 29/07/2022 at 23:11, DKAngel said:

my laptop hates 10, first boot up and windows just flogs the hdd and cpu for a solid 10mins

What are the specs of your laptop? It sounds like you’re using a HDD. At least swapping to SSD will make a noticeable improvement.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2022 at 23:56, goretsky said:

Hello,

Windows 11 initially had some issues on AMD-based systems.  A combination of motherboard BIOS (UEFI) firmware updates and device driver updates reportedly resolved those issues, though in some cases a little hunting had to be done to find the correct drivers if the system manufacturer hadn't yet provided them to customers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

There was a driver issue was for IOPS and was fixed by MS update and AMD chipset drivers. That’s been taken care of and installed. 

There was a  BIOS issue  for stuttering issues caused by fTPM. The workaround until it an update was provided by the motherboard manufacturer  was to use a discrete TPM module. That’s what I am doing. 

Are there any other issues you are referring to? If so, please let me know what they are so I can address them. 

I haven't bothered to upgrade my old unsupported desktop to 11 so I can't chime in exactly, but if the performance is getting better with 22H2 then that's something at least.  There's probably some top-layer bits that haven't been tuned yet since they've started redoing and recoding parts of the OS.  

The only downside is the regression in features like on the taskbar, but I figure they're going to get back to where it was and the code should be better for it compared to the 20+ year old stuff we have.

On 29/07/2022 at 04:35, spacelordmaster said:

Been trying to give Windows 11 the benefit of the doubt and a chance but I have had enough. This OS just keeps getting worse and worse with every update, while Windows 10 just keeps getting better and faster. This is ridiculous and insulting. Windows 10 runs and performs like a charm on my HP laptop, but Windows 11 is just plain horrible, slow, sluggish and unusable. Enough is enough.

Hey bud, you might have a driver issue or something of the sort. Windows 11 is rock solid and stable for me.

What are your PC specs? Does it meet minimal requirements?

FOR THOSE ASKING MY SPECS

I have an HP Pavillion 15 eh1070wm

32GB DDR 4 memory

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

515GB SSD drive

Windows 11 refuses to let me keep the latest AMD video driver by replacing it with its own every time I install it. It's annoying and I have no clue how to stop Windows 11 from doing that.

On 01/08/2022 at 14:53, spacelordmaster said:

32GB DDR 4 memory

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

515GB SSD drive

Windows 11 refuses to let me keep the latest AMD video driver by replacing it with its own every time I install it. It's annoying and I have no clue how to stop Windows 11 from doing that.

10 and 11 do the same with certain machines.  I wish I knew the best way to stop it.

On 01/08/2022 at 15:57, Runtime Error said:

10 and 11 do the same with certain machines.  I wish I knew the best way to stop it.

Put in a .reg file and run it. This will disable windows update from including drivers.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

On 29/07/2022 at 01:35, spacelordmaster said:

Mirroring the other things said in this thread, I think we need to start with absolute statements.  Is Windows 11 slower than 10?  I dont think that's a true statement - Microsoft isn't in the habit of releasing honestly worse operating systems.  The issue has stemmed organically from version to version - the inherent belief that the new version will just work with older drivers and no issues whatsoever.  That's often not the case; as Windows versions change, the hardware requirements generally move up along with driver efficiencies (which is why they don't inherently just do another service pack) and it always takes time for OEMs to catch up with appropriately written drivers.

This might be exactly what we're experiencing here, but thats not speaking to the OS itself, just how it performs for your kit and the driver support for your kit.  Sometimes these things aren't a problem -- like many in this thread, 11 doesn't appear to be any better or worse than 10 to me, but I've done no benchmarks and everything runs swimmingly.  But I'm one of a bazillion variants of kit.

So to be pointed, are you absolutely sure that all your drivers are certified for Windows 11?  Does HP have drivers specifically for Windows 11?  Do you have them installed?  Are you running a supported version and not a prerelease?    How good is HP at supplying truly compatible drivers- the latest drivers for your box are only for Win11-21H2 located here (I think - please confirm):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15.6-inch-laptop-pc-15-eh1000/2100372085/model/2100376528?sku=364K5UA 

Do you have all of those drivers installed?  For example, even avoiding a specific driver that may not seem relevant can cause inefficiency.

What are you doing to measure performance?  This speaks to vanilla 10/11 installs with supported drivers installed - what is the quantification of performance being  "worse and worse" between both of them?  I presume you're not exactly blowing away your same laptop just to reinstall and perform a test, but if you are, what are the processes being used?

Etc etc..  I acknowledge your specific concern, but nearly all issues are related to driver compatibility, software issues, or hardware problems.  Bring it to baseline and test... for example if it's just slower and slower, how are you testing that?  What specific metric is used?

WIndows 11 is plenty fast on my Supported Desktop,   Windows Defender for Antivirus,   All Drivers up to date,  All Windows 11 Updates installed,    Never had a performance issue, but Mine is Intel based, not sure on AMD compatbility possible issues or driver with those systems---advise check for updated chipset drivers,  uefi bios updates from board manufactuer or OEM (like Asus, HP, or such if Prebuilt System)     Alot of variables why it might seem slower on your particular system.

If it was slow across the board,  there would be a ton of articles by techs on that aspect

Overall i'm very happy with Windows 11

P.S. I feel it's just as fast as my Secondary Windows 10 Gaming Laptop, slightly faster even as Laptop only a Quad Core,  Desktop 8 Core/16thread and 32gb of ram

On 01/08/2022 at 21:53, spacelordmaster said:

32GB DDR 4 memory

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

515GB SSD drive

Download a fresh driver from AMD, then try using DDU to completely clear out the driver in safe mode. It also has an option to stop Windows from automatically installing its own on reboot.

Hello,

Those were the ones I am thinking of, although I have also seen some scattered reports of problems with audio stuttering and BSODs in Wi-Fi drivers under Windows 11.  Again, solution being to install newer device drivers which resolve those issues.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 01/08/2022 at 06:03, adrynalyne said:

There was a driver issue was for IOPS and was fixed by MS update and AMD chipset drivers. That’s been taken care of and installed. 

There was a  BIOS issue  for stuttering issues caused by fTPM. The workaround until it an update was provided by the motherboard manufacturer  was to use a discrete TPM module. That’s what I am doing. 

Are there any other issues you are referring to? If so, please let me know what they are so I can address them. 

On 03/08/2022 at 00:59, goretsky said:

Hello,

Those were the ones I am thinking of, although I have also seen some scattered reports of problems with audio stuttering and BSODs in Wi-Fi drivers under Windows 11.  Again, solution being to install newer device drivers which resolve those issues.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yeah I am stable enough, its just the performance is lackluster. Not unusable, but not all too enjoyable either. No stuttering, no wifi issues.

MS fixed a memory leak yesterday, I am hoping that helps. Not because I run out of ram (unless using WSL to build Android), but because things that have resource leaks can still cause slowness. Since File Explorer is a large part of my workflow....

Even with replacement applications, File Explorer still gets launched by some actions and applications.

On the other hand, I switched my LG Gram 17 that shipped with 11 back to 10 since 22H2 breaks the ability for it to connect to my WPA enterprise protected network. No amount of driver updates or rollbacks would fix it. Tried through two clean installs.

22H1 = fine. 22H2 updating 22H1, it breaks. 22H2 clean install, it breaks. Downloading LG  updated drivers, it breaks. Downloading from Intel, it breaks. Other network types were fine. Windows 11 isn't worth me removing all the RADIUS users and using a different type.

Edited by adrynalyne

From my testing, Windows 11 is definitely slower than Windows 10 (clean installs, no bloatware). On top of it being slower, there's the other Windows 11 inefficiencies, like an extra click to getting to your needed context menu options. Even Windows 10 didn't feel this slow when Windows 7 was the gold standard. As demonstrated by other members here, this is on modern hardware. 

Well I use my Windows 11 Desktop Daily  For PC gaming, Music listening, light video rendering, Web Browsing, Email, Scanning in Documents,  and honestly i feel it's just as fast as Windows 10 on the same system long time ago.     Of course i upgraded immediately on October 6th 2021 (clean install) and honestly hardly have had any problems at all at least on my system

Explorer used quite a bit,  and various other programs, all updates installed--including optional cumulative updates,  drivers updated soon as released, Uefi bios updated when released immediately---maybe why i don't notice any peformance issues--seems perfectly fast for my daily tasks

Of course i'm the type of Person that upgrades or clean installs  a new OS soon as released and sticks with it for life of my Computer systems

Edited by bikeman25

On 02/08/2022 at 03:53, spacelordmaster said:

32GB DDR 4 memory

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

515GB SSD drive

Does not having the latest AMD video driver reduce performance in any way?

On 29/07/2022 at 22:30, adrynalyne said:

Ryzen 9 3950X 16c/32t 

128GB DDR4 3600

Gigabyte Aorus Master

WD Gold 8TB HDD

Sapphire 16GB RX 6800 XT

Hardware TPM

Are you using a beta or insider version of Windows 11 or a public version?

On 05/08/2022 at 22:55, freqnasty said:

I've used both. Currently on beta.

On 06/08/2022 at 01:55, freqnasty said:

That's the problem. Every time I download the latest AMD driver from AMD's website, Windows 11 replaces it again with its own Microsoft version when it does Windows updates. I can't find any way of stopping it from doing that. It's annoying. Any suggestions?