PCIe 2.5Gig Network Card or USB One?

Have Comcast Extreme Pro 900Mb Download/and 20Mb Upload, to take full advantage of the Package with Overprovisoned speed folks in an internet related Comcast forum suggested i pickup a 2.5gig adapter, for now picked up USB one, though it takes  away from my limited USB 3.0 Ports.     

Should i give up my WIfi 6/Bluetooth 5.0 On Desktop and invest in Pcie 2.5gig card for hard wired gaming Desktop.     and if i need to bluetooth transfer any files to or from my Galaxy S22 Phone, i could just use PC 2 Gaming Laptop option for that?

Motherboard Onboard Lan only supports up to 1gig speed, limited to 960Mb download or around there

Have Comcast Extreme Pro 900Mb Download... folks suggested I pickup a 2.5gig adapter

Do you notice a difference using the 2.5gig adapter versus the motherboard's onboard 1gig Lan port?

If your internet is coming in at 900 Mbps... I don't see why they'd suggest a card that supports 2,500 Mbps.

But it shouldn't hurt.  It'll be backwards-compatible with 1gig cards, modems, and PCs.

Do you have any other 2.5gig devices?  NAS, switches, or other PCs?  Or are you planning to add some?

All that said... wired is definitely the way to go.  And an internal PCIe card would be preferable over a USB adapter.

Well with this USB adapter i get up to 1080Mbps, and about 23Mbps on the Upload side with the OverProvision Speed,   Currently Only 1 PC is wired into the 2.5gig Port on the Comcast Xfinity XB7 Gateway 

Might opt for the internal card soon as can afford it in that case then.  

Notice a slight difference in speed with the usb adapter, not a huge difference--previously when i had Gigabit Package, i was hitting 1440Mbps, and 42Mbps Upload usually on speed tests (downgraded from Gigabit as felt didn't really need that much speed)

• Like 1

Hello,

I was looking around, and it seems the most popular 2.5GbE network interface cards use either an Intel I225-V or a Realtek RTL8125B Ethernet controller.  You might want to look for either of those when it comes time to get the PCIe card.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yeah was thinking possibly either one of those,    If i was capable and comfortable with hardware upgrades,  i'd invest in a newer motherboard with 2.5gig built in,  but sadly i'm not that great with Hardware aspect of things.    PCi-e card though i can install, as i've done that before,  but never transferred a cpu to a newer board,  cpu cooler,  ram, and m.2 and such.   

Hello,

It's just playing with LEGOs®, except they cost more and are static sensitive.

But if all you need is a 2.5GbE interface, installing a card is a lot quicker and less expensive than replacing the motherboard.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky