Explorer crashed, forced me to power down the system via power button, now on reboot I am missing a drive

I was watching YouTube and suddenly my CPU usage pegged at 100% on all cores, and Explorer froze, and I was not able to restart the system the conventional method, so I had to use the power button. Now upon reboot #2 I am missing my downloads drive. Upon opening Computer Management/Disk Management I get a pop-up stating that there is a partition that is not initialized and it wants me to choose GPT or MFR, however this is only a 3.86 GB partition which is not the downloads drive. All the other drives show up in the list, just not the drive that is missing (E:) What steps should I do besides a physical check of all connections? Could this be resolved with SFC?

What Version of Win 10 (I'm guessing) are you running?

I would re-attach all the SATA and power cables. Could have been bumped then slightly dislodge. 

Also, what does your SMART data show?

On 31/07/2022 at 13:00, Mindovermaster said:

What Version of Win 10 (I'm guessing) are you running?

I would re-attach all the SATA and power cables. Could have been bumped then slightly dislodge. 

Also, what does your SMART data show?

Win 10 X64 21H2

HWinfo.thumb.PNG.782ba6497b94159a106d8d542cb29080.PNG

On 31/07/2022 at 13:33, Dick Montage said:

I don’t understand what drives and partitions you have - can you elaborate?

drive.thumb.PNG.352c99d704ed7983244874fba9d28b9e.PNG

According to Crystal disk info, the drive that is missing is a mechanical drive, which is going to be really fun trying to get to as I do not know where it is physically and I do not know what brand it is, but I only have 2 mechanical drives, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

On 31/07/2022 at 15:40, NinjaGinger said:

What make is the drive, how old, what version is the drive, as in, if it is a WD, blue red gold black, etc.

I have no idea, I do not even know where it is physically installed, I would have to dissemble most of the case to access it. I believe its a Seagate, I downloaded Seatools, but it shuts down as soon as I open it.

• Facepalm 1

So I got Seatools to work by changing it's compatibility mode to Win 8, and it sees the drive, but the tests all fail. If memory serves this drive is at least 6 years old, so realistically it was only a matter of time before it failed.

On 31/07/2022 at 19:45, jnelsoninjax said:

So I got Seatools to work by changing it's compatibility mode to Win 8, and it sees the drive, but the tests all fail. If memory serves this drive is at least 6 years old, so realistically it was only a matter of time before it failed.

Yeah.. sadly..

On 01/08/2022 at 02:45, jnelsoninjax said:

Maybe try another cable on it first?

On 01/08/2022 at 05:35, Steven P. said:

Maybe try another cable on it first?

I had not thought about that, but yes, assuming I can get to the drive without having to completely disassemble the whole case, though I am going to buy a different case and move everything over, my current case is too cramped.

Hello,

It sounds like the computer crashed when the ~4.0TB hard disk drive died.  If you need to get any data off of it, you may wish to try a data recovery program, or if it is very important, contacting a company that specializes in such things.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 03/08/2022 at 03:45, goretsky said:

Hello,

It sounds like the computer crashed when the ~4.0TB hard disk drive died.  If you need to get any data off of it, you may wish to try a data recovery program, or if it is very important, contacting a company that specializes in such things.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It had nothing of value on it since I backed up everything to cloud/external drive. I just got a new case that I am going to transfer everything over to, and I checked the SN of the drive with Seagate and the warranty expired in November of 2020