Nichelle Nichols, who played Lt. Uhura on TV's "Star Trek," has died at 89

Nyota.jpg

KLLY5WS44ZIMVOQ2QITAKMDXXI.jpg

Actress Nichelle Nichols, who portrayed Lieutenant Uhara in the "Star Trek" television series, has died at 89, her son posted on her Facebook page on Sunday.

"Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away," Kyle Johnson, her son, wrote on Nichols' official Facebook page.

"Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from and draw inspiration," Johnson wrote.

Source + image: Reuters

Another from TOS gone 😢  I believe she had a lot of struggles later in life and believed her children were profiting off her, while they claimed she was suffering from dementia, although this shouldn't take away from what she meant to a lot of people for decades, including myself, seeing a black woman in a position of power on a space ship was new for me too in the 70s and 80s growing up in England.

RIP.

Rest in Peace, Ms Nichols.   :(

Watching the series when it debuted I had a young teenager's crush on her.  She was sexy and intelligent and a lovely person.

RIP Nichelle you were a pioneer and will be missed. 🙏

She got a lot of hate for crossing a lot of barriers but she was loved by the rest of us. Rest In Peace, Queen of the Trek.

Edited by hagjohn

Just waking up to this news, and I'm in literal tears right now.  I was honoured to meet her once, albeit briefly, many years ago and she made quite the impression on me. She was a truly outstanding woman and will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace, Nichelle. 😢 

We're down to 3 now,  Kirk, Sulu and Chekov still going.    Shatners the oldest but I have a feeling he'll go last.