re-building my pc, now it won't post :(

I'm moved my pc components to a different case, now it's not posting. Hardware hasn't changed.

Ryzen 3900x, x570 Dark Hero VIII, 2x 8gb DDR4 3000mhz, 1tb nvme, rtx 3090

Issue: Motherboard LEDs only that power on, including built-in power button. No error codes LED to show anything. I don't have case speaker.  Fans don't spin, gpu LED don't turn on.

Things I've done so far, that didn't solve the problem:

1. Re-seated ram, used 1 stick at a time.

2. Re-seated/re-plugged psu cables, psu and motherboard side.

3. Swapped out the 3900x with a 5600G.

4. Unplugged case Power SW, Power LED cables, and used built-in motherboard Power Button.

I ran out of ideas. Any recommendations?

Try removing the motherboard from the case, and assemble it on the MB box (or anywhere clean). Maybe something in the new case is shorting it out.

On 01/08/2022 at 18:58, BoondockSaint said:

Try removing the motherboard from the case, and assemble it on the MB box (or anywhere clean). Maybe something in the new case is shorting it out.

That didn't change anything. I also used a different psu but again no change.

I inspected the motherboard, nothing appears to be physically damaged.

Edited by ultimate99

Could be something shorted out. No physical damage to the board, but knocked itself dead.

Did you try reinsterting the CMOS battery? Or maybe replace it if it's defective.

On 01/08/2022 at 21:06, Mindovermaster said:

Could be something shorted out. No physical damage to the board, but knocked itself dead.

Did you try reinsterting the CMOS battery? Or maybe replace it if it's defective.

is there a way to know if it got shorted? or how?

will RMA cover such thing?

no, but the board is only a couple months old....but i will try for sure

On 01/08/2022 at 20:10, ultimate99 said:

Well, if it is unresponsive, then there is a short. Does the board have any LEDs for power, RAM, GPU, etc? Normally the minute you plug in the 24-pin power a LED should flash on.

Edit: did you try the screwdriver trick, too? Touching the 2 pins to turn it on?

RMA might cover that. No point in asking..

no, but the board is only a couple months old....but i will try for sure

A few days or a few years, it can fail all the same. Try it, see what works.

On 01/08/2022 at 21:27, Mindovermaster said:

Well, if it is unresponsive, then there is a short. Does the board have any LEDs for power, RAM, GPU, etc? Normally the minute you plug in the 24-pin power a LED should flash on.

Edit: did you try the screwdriver trick, too? Touching the 2 pins to turn it on?

A few days or a few years, it can fail all the same. Try it, see what works.

When I power on the psu, the built-in power button on mobo lights up, along with ROG led on VRAM heatsink and Asus led on chipset heatsink.
But pressing the power button on the mobo doesn't do anything...

Re inserting the battery didn't do anything, will try to replace it.

On 01/08/2022 at 20:27, Mindovermaster said:

Think I said that wrong..

"No point in trying"

There we go..

No and no. 

Most people are used to hearing CMOS as the "battery". That battery only holds the charge required to maintain changes in the EPROM... otherwise known as the BIOS chip. However, there's more than one "cmos" type of chip on your motherboard, and since they cannot handle any static voltages above 5v, just removing a motherboard from its case, walking across the carpet, or in any other fashion, create a static charge on your body.. and poof. End of motherboard. So no, you won't be able to know.. and there will be no external damage as static voltage will fry the internal components of a cmos chip.

"will RMA cover such a thing?"  Again.. no. Not if you tell them you removed the board that was working, put into a new case, and now it's not. That's user error. Unknown user error, but error nonetheless. If you can live with not telling them what happened, then they'll replace the board.

On 01/08/2022 at 20:06, Mindovermaster said:

Again.. any motherboard can boot without this battery. All it does is maintain data settings changes. Only thing will happen is, you boot up.. go into the BIOS, reset everything.. boot normally. However, if you shut off the computer, you'll be doing this again and again until you replace said battery. I've had customers call and tell me their system keeps booting up with the time being completely out of sync, or the date is suddenly set to 1947. Sure sign of a dead BIOS battery.

I've destroyed a really good mobo just by walking in the house and reaching down to turn the PC on... all because I didn't take off my shoes.

If this is the case, more than likely the other components on the board should be safe. IE.. GPU/ RAM. But, you won't know until you know.

On 01/08/2022 at 22:23, xMorpheousx416 said:

"will RMA cover such a thing?"  Again.. no. Not if you tell them you removed the board that was working, put into a new case, and now it's not. That's user error. Unknown user error, but error nonetheless. If you can live with not telling them what happened, then they'll replace the board.

Well, you can leave that part out... LOL 😛

On 01/08/2022 at 22:23, xMorpheousx416 said:

Again.. any motherboard can boot without this battery. All it does is maintain data settings changes. Only thing will happen is, you boot up.. go into the BIOS, reset everything.. boot normally. However, if you shut off the computer, you'll be doing this again and again until you replace said battery. I've had customers call and tell me their system keeps booting up with the time being completely out of sync, or the date is suddenly set to 1947. Sure sign of a dead BIOS battery.

I've destroyed a really good mobo just by walking in the house and reaching down to turn the PC on... all because I didn't take off my shoes.

If this is the case, more than likely the other components on the board should be safe. IE.. GPU/ RAM. But, you won't know until you know.

CMOS battery resets the BIOS, too. If there was a setting in there that caused a short, overclocking, for example, a battery reset will work.

But like you said, you'd never know..

Have you tried removing all the cables from the header for power, reset, hdd led etc?? I have seen it happen where folks plug something on the wrong pin, and the board doesnt post. Try power on only using the start button on the board itself. Process of elimination,unplug usb headers etc one by one until the board comes up.. 

even chassis fans until all that is left is the main 24 pin power, 8pin board power, and 4 pin pcie power... 

Oh, something else i have come across, is some cases have risers in that your board may not have a screw hole for, did you make sure to line all the risers with holes on your board before assembly??

Good luck!!! :) 

Hello,

You mentioned that you used a different power supply unit.

Did you use the new PSU's cables with the motherboard, or the old one?

The reason I ask is that there are no standards for PSU cables.  Every manufacturer has their own pin-out for those, and they can even vary between a PSU's manufacturer's different lines and models.

If you did not swap cables, it is possible everything that received power from them was damaged; not just the motherboard, but CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 02/08/2022 at 00:54, Mindovermaster said:

CMOS battery resets the BIOS, too.

Apologies for this late reply.

Let's clarify what I said incase someone reading this gets confused.

CMOS - Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor. The manufacturing process in which a chip is made. Certain logic chips, CPUs/GPUs, Memory.. BIOS chips.. etc.

BIOS - Binary Input Output System. The set of instructions used to run the computer from boot up, to shut down.

EPROM- Erasable, Programmable, Read Only Memory. What the BIOS chips are... they have a set of read only instructions or data that cannot be changed* (aka the default settings you see in the BIOS screen). All manual (user) changes are done thru the EP part of the EPROM. When you remove the battery, these changes go back to the default settings. Only a BIOS update* can reset, or change the ROM part of the EPROM. A computer's most vulnerable time to make definitely sure you're not gonna have a power outage during this process! :)

Back in the day, if anyone here remembers that Radio Shack used to be a pretty kickass electronics store, may remember they sold individual ICs you could buy for projects, or fixing broken down equipment.. etc.

If you see one of these, with the chip set in protective materials.. it meant that the chip was highly susceptible to static electricity and you could damage it simply by touching it with your fingers. Hence why we tell new folks who never worked on systems, to only handle the edges of CPUs, graphic cards, RAM chips.. and yes, your motherboard. It may be tempting to touch the really cool looking components, but you can fry them without so much as sneezing on them. 

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1