Moved motherboard to new case, now no POST, error code 8

Asus ROG Strix Crossfire VII Hero WiFi. Will not POST,  shows diagnostic code 8, which per the manual, means: System Agent initialization after microcode loading. But it never goes past that point.

I did not change any hardware, simply moved the board to the new case, redid the water loop and refilled it. Everything is powered up. Anyone know what that means? I've reseated the ram, and cleared the CMOS and it still will not POST, as soon as it is powered on, it displays code 8, and never goes past it.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

Thing zero take a pic and upload it so we can see what kind of spider nest we are looking at. First thing first pull any case plugs you put on the board that go to external plugs like USB, audio etc on the tower and try and boot you may have something hooked up wrong ( now attempt boot)  if no boot pull the power lines off everything including hard drives and motherboard and reconnect just the motherboard (both the 8 pin and the 24 pin) One stick of ram at a time try to boot.  Motherboard Could be its grounding out on the case, i've seen it a few times.  Longshot is If you've reseated the ram and done the rest of everything I would be removing that water block to make sure the cpu isn't out of socket.   

I've just tried to boot with nothing but the PSU plugged in and the M.2 the only other thing that is plugged in is the Corsair RGB controller. The thing that is seeming odd is that as soon as I turn on the power to the system, Q-code 8 is displayed and never goes past that. I have reseated the RAM and the 24 pin and 8 pin motherboard power cables.

This board still inside of the case? I suggest taking it out and putting it on a piece of cardboard or whatever you have. (non-conductive)

Sounds like your board is toast. Can you see any bulging capacitors or anything burnt?

If none of the above works, might want to start filling out the RMA form.. (being that it is still under warranty)

On 14/08/2022 at 13:54, Mindovermaster said:

This board still inside of the case? I suggest taking it out and putting it on a piece of cardboard or whatever you have. (non-conductive)

Sounds like your board is toast. Can you see any bulging capacitors or anything burnt?

If none of the above works, might want to start filling out the RMA form.. (being that it is still under warranty)

Board is not under warranty any more, it's ~5 years old. Removing the board from the case is not exactly feasible and I've looked with a bright light at the back side of the board and there's nothing touching. Also, no burnt smell or bulging caps. Also download and installed the most recent BIOS and installed it via the dedicated USB port, and it still immediately shows q-code 8 upon power up

On 14/08/2022 at 11:27, conkir said:

You may want to try to either tighten or loosen the block on the CPU. Too little or too much pressure can cause errors. Just a thought.

If too much pressure causes an error, the cpu is done for.

On 14/08/2022 at 14:27, conkir said:

You may want to try to either tighten or loosen the block on the CPU. Too little or too much pressure can cause errors. Just a thought.

I have not touched the cpu water block since it was installed 5 years or so ago, so if that was the issue it would have presented immediately after being installed, not years later down the road

On 14/08/2022 at 14:04, DoctorD said:

Have you tried unplugging the RGB controller?

Yes, no change. Also, just for troubleshooting, I changed the CMOS battery.

On 14/08/2022 at 15:16, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, no change. Also, just for troubleshooting, I changed the CMOS battery.

It is not possible to remove the motherboard right now due to the water loop. I don't have a drain, so I would have to cut the tubing which I do not have anymore.

On 14/08/2022 at 14:04, DoctorD said:

If you have multiple ram sticks you can try just using one? Ive had success with that before weirdly enough but not really sure what to say with such minimal imformation 

On 14/08/2022 at 15:27, Sensi said:

If you have multiple ram sticks you can try just using one? Ive had success with that before weirdly enough but not really sure what to say with such minimal imformation 

I am currently only using one.

What additional info do you need?

Check that all the power connectors from the PSU are firmly connected. There are two going to the motherboard; the main one, and an additional CPU connection.

QCODE 8 means insufficient CPU power. Is your PSU good? Do you have the extra power plugged in at the top left of the motherboard? Have you changed the CPU voltage? 

On 14/08/2022 at 17:18, WaRRioR said:

QCODE 8 means insufficient CPU power. Is your PSU good? Do you have the extra power plugged in at the top left of the motherboard? Have you changed the CPU voltage? 

Where did you get the information on the Qcode? I pull the manual up and it says 8 is microcode. Regardless, yes the 24 and 8 pin power cables are installed, and the CPU was overclocked but I've cleared BIOS and flashed the newest version. I even changed the cmos battery. I will get pictures ASAP.

On 15/08/2022 at 08:02, DoctorD said:

Ok, question...how did you flash the bios if it won't post?

EZ Flash, special USB port on the board.

On 14/08/2022 at 17:05, DoctorD said:

lets see a picture down onto the board, i hate looking in my minds eye

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HsyMzgYBqrFy6tNX8

This was the only way I could share the pictures, I tried to upload to imgur and  it failed everytime.

Unplug the stuff I circled in red, one at a time and keep it unplugged move onto the next one while the previous one is unplugged, try booting unplug next one try booting repeat.  What does the green and blue wire go to?

pcprobunplug.png

PXL_20220815_134151749.thumb.jpg.dfd67554cdcd56ffb68def556fe8384e.jpgGreen and blue wire is to the water pump. Still not getting past qcode 8.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

@DoctorD

The cable is a riser cable so the GPU can be mounted vertically, there's no way to install it inside the case. I ordered a replacement cable and it will be here tomorrow.