Purpose of iPad Pro vs Macbook?

So with the introduction of Apple Silicon Macbooks can now run iOS apps. What is the purpose of ipad pro? I can see a few people getting a regular iPad for media consumption if they want to watch a movie in bed without keyboard attached or for reading but the iPad Pro with keyboard and its hefty price tag unless you are a person who needs the stylus for drawing art I do not see it as a big need for most people. I must be missing something because the product seems a success. 

Even android tablets are not so popular anymore as most people just use laptops and phones big anough for media consumption. apps  Android on a tablet with keyboard is a big diaster mess trust me I own one but I got it for a good price but apps are not optomised for android tablets with keyboards for producitivety. Anyways the android thing is a bit off topic but wanted to mention it.

Just seems like with the cost of devices these day for most people is better just to get the MacBook you have a full fledged desktop OS even though iPad OS is quite impresive but you can run MacOS desktop apps plus i0S apps so you get the best of both worlds and it comes with keyboard of coarse already. Just only see a small segment who would really need the IPAD pro with keyboard etc.

I'm re-evaluating the same thing atm.  Not because I don't love my iPad, but because I'm switching them.  I currently have an 11" 2018 1TB LTE Model, got it on a big sale when the 2020's were coming out.  My work just gave me a 12" M1 one today and I have no idea how the size diff will affect me.  I will say the Pro Motion, all around better screen, apple pencil support, and speed are all fantastic.  The portability makes it so I can have a quick device (with keyboard capability) that can be used in any environment.  It's also an LTE model that I got today as well. 

I also prefer using the smaller iphones (13 Pro atm) and therefor the screen on it isnt big enough for serious media consumption or quick edits on work stuff. 

What I do with it though:

Feedly RSS Feeds (Lots - Work and personal stuff)

Quick and dirty SSH/Remote Access

When I go into the office I keep it beside my work pc for music/videos/personal stuff

Web Browsing - Most of it is here actually.
Media Consumption

Reading (Not sure how 12.9" will work on this)

Quick Photo/Video Edits

• 2 months later...

The key benefit of the iPad Pro vs. a conventional laptop such as a MacBook Pro, would be the fact it has the full touch display and pencil integration. For those who create artwork it's one of the best ways to create digital art especially combined with Procreate.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2022 at 04:05, Chasethebase said:

The key benefit of the iPad Pro vs. a conventional laptop such as a MacBook Pro, would be the fact it has the full touch display and pencil integration. For those who create artwork it's one of the best ways to create digital art especially combined with Procreate.

you're right, but you didn't need to revive a 2-month-old thread. 

On 28/10/2022 at 06:37, tsupersonic said:

you're right, but you didn't need to revive a 2-month-old thread. 

Are you the thread police?

• 2 months later...
On 25/01/2023 at 01:02, Software Dev Expert said:

Macbooks can now run iOS apps?? WHAT HAVE I MISSED?!?

Yes, if you leave the system intact and do not play around with its System Integrity Protection. 

On 27/01/2023 at 14:00, Ixion said:

Certainly runs some but not all ios apps, at least from what I could find in the store. Mostly things like games which were missing.

Um at least with the Macbook Pro mid-2015, Macbooks can only run Mac apps. But some apps available for iOS are available for Mac

On 27/01/2023 at 10:27, allannyholm said:

Yes, if you leave the system intact and do not play around with its System Integrity Protection. 

System Integrity protection?

What’s the relation with jailbreaking?

Interestingly rumours are swirling around a touchscreen MacBook or foldable iPad coming out in the next couple of years...we'll see.

On 31/01/2023 at 19:11, Chasethebase said:

Interestingly rumours are swirling around a touchscreen MacBook or foldable iPad coming out in the next couple of years...we'll see.

Oh gosh! When I first got a Macbook I kept forgetting it didn’t have touchscreen support and probably scratched my screen for no reason 😂

As far as the foldable iPad, do you know what they need?!! The option to take the screen out of a Mac and use it as a tablet!!