Replacing my alarm clock, what a chore!

20220830_122256.jpg

I've had an old HEMA alarm clock for almost 30 years, but the LCD display starting acting up, as you can see above.. I'm not sure if the color is from nicotine (I gave up smoking in 2017) but I hardly ever smoked in bed or in my bedroom, and I tried cleaning it a few times. It is cracked and chipped from hitting it (and it "falling" off the nightstand) over the years, but now it needed replacing. It is so hard to find one that doesn't suck!

I've had several that I've sent back, last year a Logitech smart wifi clock that kept waking me up because of the automatic dimming display, (I actually started using my old alarm clock because the numbers started working again) when the alarm clock starting acting up again just over a week ago I bought this alarm clock, but I've discovered the display only dims between midnight and 06:00 !!! (it throws off enough light to wake me up between 6 and 7am).

download.png

After doing some more research I've decided to spend a bit more to get DAB+ and I've landed on a Philips that does what I want

• Permanent dimmed display (because you can't buy a decent alarm clock with a red LCD display anymore)
  • DAB+
  • Qi wireless charging (and USB port)
  • Battery backup

The only downside to this alarm clock is that the alarm does not adjust with automatic daylight savings time adjustment, according to a review on Amazon. So that could be a problem for two days of the year.

I was also considering this Technisat DIGITRADIO 52 but it fell off because it does not have battery backup.

Who knew something like this could be so complicated 🙃

• Haha 1

The charging functionality / battery backup looks like it could be some useful additional functionality for a dedicated device.

Strangely enough an alarm is not something I’d ever consider buying these days, for as long as I can remember I’ve just used my phone.

I’ll leave it on charge at the other side of the room so I have to get up to disable the alarm, otherwise its all too easy turn it off half asleep 😅. I have alarms set at different times for weekdays vs weekends with a sound that’s bearable at 6am, all I really need.

On 06/09/2022 at 13:02, InsaneNutter said:

The charging functionality / battery backup looks like it could be some useful additional functionality for a dedicated device.

I do not take my phone up to bed with me, and I am looking to get a Kindle Paperwhite which has wireless charging.. but I am waiting for a deal price because Amazon sometimes discounts them by 50% hehe.

On 06/09/2022 at 10:31, spikey_richie said:

At least you didn't get one of those cheap ones that shows the time up to 99 minutes... (see official funny pictures, maybe...) e.g. 2:78pm

hey I have a meeting at 13:85 so, some of us need those

• Haha 2

20220908_003715.jpg

It has arrived, just setting it up before I go to bed. It's kind of cool seeing and hearing all these DAB stations. The sound is quite good too, I mean it is no ghetto blaster, but it's decent enough.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2022 at 23:39, Steven P. said:

20220908_003715.jpg

It has arrived, just setting it up before I go to bed. It's kind of cool seeing and hearing all these DAB stations. The sound is quite good too, I mean it is no ghetto blaster, but it's decent enough.

Is the display not too bright in the dark?

Alarm clocks are funny things. They should be so damned pedestrian and yet… you find one that suits you well and my god it makes a world of difference!

Like a wallet…

• Like 3

On 08/09/2022 at 00:54, SnoopZ said:

Is the display not too bright in the dark?

That was the brightest setting, it has two stages dimmer, but even that throws some light off, far less than the one I am returning.. but I have decided to see if I can purchase some red plastic film to stick over the display.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2022 at 07:47, Steven P. said:

That was the brightest setting, it has two stages dimmer, but even that throws some light off, far less than the one I am returning.. but I have decided to see if I can purchase some red plastic film to stick over the display.

When I bought my clock radio years ago I found one from the Pure range with a display that didn't cause me an issue with brightness, this is their latest model of it but not cheap https://www.pure.com/en-GB/audio-hifi/radios/alarm-radios/siesta-rise/p/147504 

After checking your OP image I would say the display is similar, so if that's still too bright then maybe an old fashioned red LCD would be better like your old clock.

Edited by SnoopZ

On 08/09/2022 at 11:09, SnoopZ said:

When I bought my clock radio years ago I found one from the Pure range with a display that didn't cause me an issue with brightness, this is their latest model of it but not cheap https://www.pure.com/en-GB/audio-hifi/radios/alarm-radios/siesta-rise/p/147504 

After checking your OP image I would say the display is similar, so if that's still too bright then maybe an old fashioned red LCD would be better like your old clock.

That looks really nice!

51-SQ12ESdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I have purchased (a smaller amount of) something similar to above. I will update with how it goes.

On 08/09/2022 at 02:47, Steven P. said:

If you care to disassemble it, some window tint film inside the display will be a good bet.

So I got my transparent red plastic film in..

Messed up the first attempt because I managed to get a fold in a corner..

20220910_172146.jpg

Medium light setting, before cutting the edges

20220910_173141.jpg

That's high setting after cutting the edges off. I think this will do it.. I can use High or Medium, because medium has become like Low was..

@Steven P. Nice work on attaching the red film! Looks pretty neat too. Accidentally ran into your topic, and decided it was time to replace my alarm clock too.

After some extensive comparing and reading reviews, the Philips TAR7705 turned out to be my best option as well! And I must say, it even exceeds my expectations. Everything works flawlessly and it was really easy to set up. Automatic date/time syncing is a nice touch, and I like that it permanently displays the date in standby mode. I'm curious how it handles DST, if it will update the time during the night or only when the radio is on.

BTW: according to the manual, the battery backup is only used for saving alarm settings/presets. So it seems you can't actually use it while on battery, and the alarm won't go off while on battery. Although I haven't tested this myself.

My bedroom is not entirely dark at night, so the lowest brightness setting is good enough for me. Also I'm sure I could never manage to attach the film without folds :p

Anyway, thanks for the topic and your recommendations!