Package delivered to wrong house

So I ordered 4 new UPS batteries off of Amazon and surprisingly they only took 3 days to get here. Well when I say here I mean into my area because I never actually received them, but they show delivered. Fedex has one job to do and they can't even read a house number?

That's not the concerning part. It got me thinking. What kind of world are we living in where the people at the house where the batteries were actually delivered didn't even think to take them to my house and put them on my porch? My address is right on the box. I would say most people have no need for UPS batteries. It's happened to me twice in the past year and I walked them down and placed them on the porch the packages were intended for. I don't know maybe I was just raised right or I'm a sucker.

Now because they weren't shipped by Amazon what took 3 days will now probably take 3 weeks to get all because FedEx can't read a house number.

I have no idea what happened here obviously, but as a delivery guy I'm still surprised how often I'm told the wrong address or other crap that UPS/fedex guys just wouldn't have time for.

One time I was going through a neighborhood and couldn't really understand why I couldn't find the house numbers o.o  (eventually found them, but still.) 

Fedexes system doesn't register our new house as an actual address even though we've been here for months.

And they can't even be sure if it was actually misdelivered or stolen.

So yeah the driver might be at fault, but there's a lot of dumb crap we have to deal with sometimes.

On 17/09/2022 at 09:53, notta said:

So I ordered 4 new UPS batteries off of Amazon and surprisingly they only took 3 days to get here. Well when I say here I mean into my area because I never actually received them, but they show delivered. Fedex has one job to do and they can't even read a house number?

That's not the concerning part. It got me thinking. What kind of world are we living in where the people at the house where the batteries were actually delivered didn't even think to take them to my house and put them on my porch? My address is right on the box. I would say most people have no need for UPS batteries. It's happened to me twice in the past year and I walked them down and placed them on the porch the packages were intended for. I don't know maybe I was just raised right or I'm a sucker.

Now because they weren't shipped by Amazon what took 3 days will now probably take 3 weeks to get all because FedEx can't read a house number.

You sure you didn't have porch thieves? Anything on camera? 

On 17/09/2022 at 14:30, Runtime Error said:

So yeah the driver might be at fault, but there's a lot of dumb crap we have to deal with sometimes.

I had a table one tine from wayfair, fedex guy literally stopped at my driveway, looks at my house (my address number is on my mailbox), gets out... then gets back in and delivers it to the house across the street. Box was clearly marked with my address, and he and I made eye contact. So strange.

On 17/09/2022 at 14:30, Runtime Error said:

I have no idea what happened here obviously, but as a delivery guy I'm still surprised how often I'm told the wrong address or other crap that UPS/fedex guys just wouldn't have time for.

One time I was going through a neighborhood and couldn't really understand why I couldn't find the house numbers o.o  (eventually found them, but still.) 

Fedexes system doesn't register our new house as an actual address even though we've been here for months.

And they can't even be sure if it was actually misdelivered or stolen.

Its the reliance on GPS instead of common sense, had a pizzahut driver claim he couldn't find my house once, I literally sat on my porch and saw him go up and down the street multiple times, once he got there asked him why he kept going up the street and his claim was couldnt find the house number, told him that you have to return to basics, figure out what the starting numbers are on the north and south side of the streets then either count up or down, once side of the street is always going to be odd numbers in my town so just to 5-7-9-ect...

On 17/09/2022 at 16:54, Matthew S. said:

Its the reliance on GPS instead of common sense, had a pizzahut driver claim he couldn't find my house once, I literally sat on my porch and saw him go up and down the street multiple times, once he got there asked him why he kept going up the street and his claim was couldnt find the house number, told him that you have to return to basics, figure out what the starting numbers are on the north and south side of the streets then either count up or down, once side of the street is always going to be odd numbers in my town so just to 5-7-9-ect...

I can't speak for every driver, obviously.  Most of us usually know what we're doing, or there's some less than obvious reason if we don't.

You I imagine have common sense, you'd probably have no issues finding a house on a new street that hasn't been added to gps yet :)

When I go on service calls to people houses, sometimes i'm parked Infront of a house looking all around for the damn house number and sometimes the house number is the same color as the wood it's on, so stupid!

The people who write their house number out with words (Instead of 125 they have written One hundred twenty-five). They just need to.... god that annoys me.

Oh boy, I can relate to this! We live in a mobile home park, the trailers are numbered, but there is no signage provided indicating what way each set of numbers is. I have had Amazon call me and say that their drivers could not find our lot #, and then when I tell them how to get here, the computer would not let them deliver the package because it was outside of the Geo-fence that the computer is looking at. Then I have had the post office, who knows where every lot is, deliver a package to the same lot number, but across the street (different street address) I had to do a PayPal dispute to get the company to replace the item since USPS claimed they couldn't do anything about it.

• 1 month later...

Yeah...this topic is a bit old ... *but* ...

Regarding FedEx ... I had a couple of packages delivered this week (parts for a new computer) and I'm really impressed with something that I guess they've started doing.

They've been taking pictures of the delivery under the tracking number.

Capture.JPG.08fdc8db5923d344f4b25c3d94525afa.JPG

...so damn cool. 

On 28/10/2022 at 12:09, Jim K said:

Regarding FedEx ... I had a couple of packages delivered this week (parts for a new computer) and I'm really impressed with something that I guess they've started doing.

...so damn cool. 

good. Amazon has been doing that for a while now so good to see other carriers starting to pick up the practice.

On 28/10/2022 at 12:11, Brandon H said:

good. Amazon has been doing that for a while now so good to see other carriers starting to pick up the practice.

yea, the above is from Micro Center (just a LGA 1700 bracket for my AIO).  Got my new motherboard today from Amazon (via FedEx) and they took a picture of its delivery as well.  UPS will be delivering a SSD later today.  Curious if they've started doing this....if not, they should.  I really like this... 'cause I've come home to a "delivered" package but nothing at my front door.

Edit:. Nope, UPS didn't take a picture.

On 28/10/2022 at 18:09, Jim K said:

...so damn cool. 

I wouldn't call that cool, or even delivered.  I'd call that "abandoned" or just "dumped".  If it's not in my hands, it wasn't delivered. I really don't why people accept their potentially valuable orders just dumped where anyone can just walk away with it...

On 31/10/2022 at 09:04, FloatingFatMan said:

I wouldn't call that cool, or even delivered.  I'd call that "abandoned" or just "dumped".  If it's not in my hands, it wasn't delivered. I really don't why people accept their potentially valuable orders just dumped where anyone can just walk away with it...

Uh.  You do know you can have your UPS/FedEx package delivered to a local store (for example Walgreens), have them hold it at their local center/store, I'm fairly certain you can schedule a delivery time range.  It's really simple.

My more expensive packages I have redirected to Walgreens...right down the road from my job.

• Like 1

This may not work for everybody, but I usually redirect packages to a local FedEx location.  Around me, Walgreens has them and I just show my ID at pickup.
That way, it's hard to screw up the delivery location and packages won't be sitting outside for somebody to snatch.

Or you can look for a Amazon hub and have stuff delivered there.  You'll get a barcode texted to you and you scan it at the hub.  This probably is only available for people living near large cities though.

On 31/10/2022 at 14:29, Jim K said:

Uh.  You do know you can have your UPS/FedEx package delivered to a local store (for example Walgreens), have them hold it at their local center/store, I'm also fairly certain you can schedule a delivery time range as well.  The above package was 5 bucks.  

My more expensive packages I have redirected to Walgreens...right down the road from my job.

Sure I do, and I do exactly that if I'm not going to be in; but you hear sooo many stories of "porch pirates" stealing people's deliveries that were just dumped on their doorstep... I don't consider that delivered, and if any dumba** delivery company tried to pull some crap on me over something like that, you can bet I would be getting all legal over their butts...

I've done it before, with a TV they claimed had been left on my doorstep (I was in all day)  Turned out the delivery driver stole it...

On 31/10/2022 at 15:33, FloatingFatMan said:

I've done it before, with a TV they claimed had been left on my doorstep (I was in all day)  Turned out the delivery driver stole it...

😲

In The Netherlands it's not normal to deliver something outside on the street. The delivery driver will try a neighbour or have to reschedule (take it back) and if the second delivery fails you will have to pick it up at a hub. Like others have said, most delivery companies also have the option to have the order delivered directly to a hub as well.

On 31/10/2022 at 09:33, FloatingFatMan said:

Sure I do, and I do exactly that if I'm not going to be in; but you hear sooo many stories of "porch pirates" stealing people's deliveries that were just dumped on their doorstep... I don't consider that delivered, and if any dumba** delivery company tried to pull some crap on me over something like that, you can bet I would be getting all legal over their butts...

That package was 5 bucks.  I wasn't going to sweat it....

On 28/10/2022 at 13:16, Jim K said:

yea, the above is from Micro Center (just a LGA 1700 bracket for my AIO).  Got my new motherboard today from Amazon (via FedEx) and they took a picture of its delivery as well.  UPS will be delivering a SSD later today.  Curious if they've started doing this....if not, they should.  I really like this... 'cause I've come home to a "delivered" package but nothing at my front door.

Edit:. Nope, UPS didn't take a picture.

That reminds me - the first time I ordered an SSD (back in 2009), they just left it on my doorstop. I lived in a large apartment complex, so a box that says newegg screams STEAL ME. It was like $250 at the time. They did the same with all my computer parts (monitor & case were in OEM boxes). Thankfully I lived close to work and was hitting the F5 button on the package tracking page. But, it's really nice that we have pictures now, and being wfh I can watch all the packages come by

I have a commercial mail box, to get packages delivered to, recently I had an Item that was being sent back to me from Warranty repair, at first they were going to ship it by USPS, then

for some unknown reason they sent it by UPS and charged me extra for shipping costs, anyhow the UPS driver delivered the packaged to another mailbox place in a town 150 miles away from my place, the item was insured and the shipper was informed and we both contacted UPS

and filed a claim, there was no response from UPS, other than acknowledgement of a claim, 2 days later was fortunate enough to have the item re-delivered to the correct address, which is good because do to supply chain issues it would take several months for a replacement.

But I've sent out items by USPS Priority mail and its delivered sooner and correctly than by UPS or FedEx., for le$$.