Wireless Mesh Backhaul instead of ethernet drop

tl-dr at the break

My router is old, a Netgear WNDR4000, wireless-N, and it is time for it to go.  I am not really up to date on the new wireless standards ... I just now learned about wireless backhauls.  

So, from what I've gathered you can get almost 1 GigE speeds from base router to the other station without needing to run ethernet?

My setup is simple.  My Freenas and desktop are wired to the router ... everything else is wireless (HTPC, phone, notebooks, etc).  Right now, I rip and convert Blu-Rays on my desktop and push the files to the Freenas ... I then manually copy those files to an external drive and copy them to the HTPC.  It would be more convenient to just push the files to the HTPC via network.  I have thought about dropping ethernet from the computer room to the living room, but that has been 6 years in the planning, so it isn't happening (my AC air handler is in the way).  

My plan would be to get one of these mesh things where the router would be in the computer room and the other station about 16 feet (and two-ish walls) away where the HTPC would plug into it via ethernet (plus a new smart TV which I'm researching).  House is only a single floor about 1500sq feet so regular wireless coverage shouldn't be an issue.

Would I be disappointed?  I would be happy with with over half 1 GigE speeds (3/4 would make me ecstatic). 

Money isn't an object...but I hate overspending for stuff.  I've been looking at the ASUS line of WiFi mesh...

ASUS ET8  (uses 6Ghz band for backhaul) - $530

ASUS XT8  (uses a 5 GHz something else band for backhaul) - $370

I've also looked at the TP-Link Deco XE75 (6Ghz backhaul) for $400 ... but it really turned me off that they locked some basic router features behind a Homeshield subscription (DDoS protection, port intrusion prevention).  Also...annual subscriptions.  🤮  The Netgear Orbs seem to be grossly overpriced.

So, what should I do.  I'm thinking about the ASUS XT8 as "good enough"?  Or should I just get a regular router and two MoCA adapters (which I also just learned about).  I'm assuming they would work on the same cable outlet being used by the cable modem and cable box with a splitter.  Once again, I just have a basic network and the WNDR4000 has been good enough for my needs...but it no longer receives security updates and I'm sure there are a few active exploits floating around.  Getting the HTPC onto at or near ethernet speeds would be a bonus.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

tl-dr

Need a new router.  The most basic of home networks without any special needs.  Would like at or near gig ethernet speed for the HTPC and pending TV purchase in the living room (about 16 feet away from computer room w/ router) but don't want to drop cable.  What should I get?

• Jim K changed the title to Wireless Mesh Backhaul instead of ethernet drop

If you have coax cable between your router and and your htpc location - and you go the moca route I would assume you would wire your htpc.. Moca can for sure do full gig.

I do believe you can get 2.5Gbps moca, so quite possible you could blow past gig barrier.. I run 2.5gbps between my pc and nas - I could never go back to gig that is for sure ;)

I love my Eero 6es.  Some people have problems with them, but I haven't in a long time.

Every time I even think about Netgear (I have some of their equipment) I think why would I even do that to myself again.  Oof.  I guess they must sell but I've never been that disappointed by any other company.

Personally I love mesh.  I still use ethernet for my latency sensitive systems but everything else is working fantastic.

If I had to buy soon, I'd either go with the XT8s or wait for the Google Nest Wifi Pro (though I can't actually tell when that's coming.)

These guys do pretty damn good work, so while it won't match what you'll get if you have a poorly placed mesh setup it's a lot more detail than you'll get anywhere else on router reviews. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33241-asus-mesh-roundup-two-zens-and-a-triband

On 24/09/2022 at 08:23, Jim K said:

tl-dr at the break

My router is old, a Netgear WNDR4000, wireless-N, and it is time for it to go.  I am not really up to date on the new wireless standards ... I just now learned about wireless backhauls.  

So, from what I've gathered you can get almost 1 GigE speeds from base router to the other station without needing to run ethernet?

My setup is simple.  My Freenas and desktop are wired to the router ... everything else is wireless (HTPC, phone, notebooks, etc).  Right now, I rip and convert Blu-Rays on my desktop and push the files to the Freenas ... I then manually copy those files to an external drive and copy them to the HTPC.  It would be more convenient to just push the files to the HTPC via network.  I have thought about dropping ethernet from the computer room to the living room, but that has been 6 years in the planning, so it isn't happening (my AC air handler is in the way).  

My plan would be to get one of these mesh things where the router would be in the computer room and the other station about 16 feet (and two-ish walls) away where the HTPC would plug into it via ethernet (plus a new smart TV which I'm researching).  House is only a single floor about 1500sq feet so regular wireless coverage shouldn't be an issue.

Would I be disappointed?  I would be happy with with over half 1 GigE speeds (3/4 would make me ecstatic). 

Money isn't an object...but I hate overspending for stuff.  I've been looking at the ASUS line of WiFi mesh...

ASUS ET8  (uses 6Ghz band for backhaul) - $530

ASUS XT8  (uses a 5 GHz something else band for backhaul) - $370

I've also looked at the TP-Link Deco XE75 (6Ghz backhaul) for $400 ... but it really turned me off that they locked some basic router features behind a Homeshield subscription (DDoS protection, port intrusion prevention).  Also...annual subscriptions.  🤮  The Netgear Orbs seem to be grossly overpriced.

So, what should I do.  I'm thinking about the ASUS XT8 as "good enough"?  Or should I just get a regular router and two MoCA adapters (which I also just learned about).  I'm assuming they would work on the same cable outlet being used by the cable modem and cable box with a splitter.  Once again, I just have a basic network and the WNDR4000 has been good enough for my needs...but it no longer receives security updates and I'm sure there are a few active exploits floating around.  Getting the HTPC onto at or near ethernet speeds would be a bonus.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

tl-dr

Need a new router.  The most basic of home networks without any special needs.  Would like at or near gig ethernet speed for the HTPC and pending TV purchase in the living room (about 16 feet away from computer room w/ router) but don't want to drop cable.  What should I get?

I have my XT8 in ethernet backhaul as it enables the 5Ghz 160Mhz side for my devices and i believe its way overkill for my 900sq ft bungalow but I prefer everything on hard wire when possible. Currently due to basement being renovated it is on wireless and I am having no issues but just make sure that it says good signal for 5Ghz otherwise you could be on 2.4 for the node.

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on XT8 ... and just hope that I can get somewhat near gig speed to the HTPC using the wireless backhaul.  Regardless, main purpose is just to replace my aging Netgear router.  I've read many reviews and folks seem to rate it pretty high...price seems to be appropriate.

Just an update.  Got the XT8 yesterday and hooked them up.  Couple of minor things (for example I can't see my nas or printer within the router software...but they are online and work just fine). 

Data transfer between my desktop and the HTPC exceeded my expectations.  110MBps transfer rate over wireless which is 922Mbps (pretty darn close to 1Gbps).  Insane.

Capture.JPG.3e04c31af51ccd9da35a87ff83858027.JPG

On 01/10/2022 at 13:50, Jim K said:

Data transfer between my desktop and the HTPC exceeded my expectations. 

That is pretty screaming for wifi to be sure.. But if you would of went the moca 2.5ge route you could see like 280MBps ;)

280speed.jpg.0a569034de7cf1647a51dbc4c4c0b007.jpg

On 01/10/2022 at 15:47, BudMan said:

That is pretty screaming for wifi to be sure.. But if you would of went the moca 2.5ge route you could see like 280MBps ;)

280speed.jpg.0a569034de7cf1647a51dbc4c4c0b007.jpg

You're assuming they actually have a 2.5gb+ NAS.  I know I don't yet.

Not a "nas" he is copying files to his htpc, a 2.5ge card is a few bucks (20-30).. Same with his pc.. 

Also he is running freenas, that is most likely running on some pc hardware, not an appliance that doesn't have ability to add a card.  Even if no slot for a card, you could always do a usb 2.5ge nic.  That is what is running on my synology nas that has no slots.  That 280 you see above is over 2 usb 2.5 nics.

Seems to me his goal was fast copy speeds.  If me I would still add the moca even if seeing gig over wifi.. Over moca he could see 2.5 is all I am saying. 

He stated

>Money isn't an object

So why not still add the moca?

On 02/10/2022 at 02:50, BudMan said:

Fair, though the XT8s do have 2.5gb also and given they were using a decade old router I'm guessing that's not getting much use.

On 02/10/2022 at 02:50, BudMan said:

Not a "nas" he is copying files to his htpc, a 2.5ge card is a few bucks (20-30).. Same with his pc.. 

Also he is running freenas, that is most likely running on some pc hardware, not an appliance that doesn't have ability to add a card.  Even if no slot for a card, you could always do a usb 2.5ge nic.  That is what is running on my synology nas that has no slots.  That 280 you see above is over 2 usb 2.5 nics.

Seems to me his goal was fast copy speeds.  If me I would still add the moca even if seeing gig over wifi.. Over moca he could see 2.5 is all I am saying. 

He stated

>Money isn't an object

The primary goal was just to replace my very old Netgear router.  I don't push much data...the Freenas is just a backup incase the HDD in the HTPC fails (as well as other small amounts of data from the desktop).  I may look at a 2.5 MoCA solution in the future if I ever do 4K rips...but right now the almost 1 Gbps transfer to/from the HTPC exceeded my expectations and is just an added bonus (no more shuttling a portable drive between desktop/HTPC) over the primary goal. 

• 3 months later...
On 02/10/2022 at 08:52, Jim K said:

The primary goal was just to replace my very old Netgear router.  I don't push much data...the Freenas is just a backup incase the HDD in the HTPC fails (as well as other small amounts of data from the desktop).  I may look at a 2.5 MoCA solution in the future if I ever do 4K rips...but right now the almost 1 Gbps transfer to/from the HTPC exceeded my expectations and is just an added bonus (no more shuttling a portable drive between desktop/HTPC) over the primary goal. 

I have added an extensible mesh network with wireless backhaul capablity - because wired backhaul was a nonstarter-  I have owned several NETGEAR routers - fortunately, they also make a mesh system that supports both wired and wireless backhaul,  I can add more nodes - and because of the wiresless backhaul, it gives me placement freedom.  My two nodes are on different floors - the primary node is in the basement, with the second node on the second floor.  want of mesh was wireless backhaul - however, it also had to support streaming to 4K devices - because 4K TVs are shrinking in size.