TP-Link Kasa Doorbell questions

I've been thinking about replacing my Ring doorbell with a TP-Link Kasa doorbell because it allows you to store video on a micro-SD card rather than on the cloud.

From what I've read, the biggest complaint is that to be able to save or share the video, you need a cloud subscription. This doesn't bother me so much, because its still a step up from what I'm used to with Ring. With Ring, I'm often unable to open the app until later, or there's a delay in opening the app, so by the time it opens, the person has already left. Because I don't have a subscription and I'm unable to view past activity without a subscription, this makes many of the functions of the doorbell useless. If Kasa doorbell allows me to view activity in a 24 hour period, that already makes it a lot more functional than my current doorbell.

My concerns with the Kasa doorbell are random complaints I've found in different reviews that I've not been able to verify because not all reviews mention them:

-- The speaker on the doorbell is very bad quality.

-- Detail in the video is lost if there's backlighting and you can't tell who is at your door.

-- There isn't two-way talk over Amazon Alexa devices.

-- Sometimes notifications of activity don't pop up on your phone or Alexa devices.

If anyone has any personal experience with Kasa doorbell and clarify these issues for me, it would be helpful.

Thanks!

On 10/10/2022 at 23:38, redfish said:

I've been thinking about replacing my Ring doorbell with a TP-Link Kasa doorbell because it allows you to store video on a micro-SD card rather than on the cloud.

On 10/10/2022 at 23:38, redfish said:

From what I've read, the biggest complaint is that to be able to save or share the video, you need a cloud subscription

Umm, it doesn't but does?

On 10/10/2022 at 17:32, Mindovermaster said:

Umm, it doesn't but does?

They limit what you can do with it.

In order to access the raw files without a subscription, you have to take out the micro-SD card from the device, first of all, and then you can't share it with others because you can't decrypt it.

But you can view everything that's currently on the card via the app. A way around the restriction of course is to record the screen on the app while its playing the video.

On 11/10/2022 at 00:37, redfish said:

They limit what you can do with it.

In order to access the raw files without a subscription, you have to take out the micro-SD card from the device, first of all, and then you can't share it with others because you can't decrypt it.

But you can view everything that's currently on the card via the app. A way around the restriction of course is to record the screen on the app while its playing the video.

Oh, OK. I never messed with those. Personally, I wouldn't put it on a SD card..

Maybe @BudMan or @jnelsoninjaxcan help you.

I’ve purchased tp link plugs and wall switches, none of them are in active use at my home. Very lackluster performance. If they can’t get their plugs and other basic home accessories networked properly, I can’t imagine a doorbell camera is any better. 

I will say you get what you pay for when it comes to doorbell cams. Not many low end devices have SD storage. I’d recommend Wyze doorbells on a budget but they also don’t have SD cards  

I’ve had a lot of doorbells over the years, Wyze is the best bang for the buck, but its notifications and AI processing is very basic. Fast loading though. 

Unifi and Arlo are very good. Good luck finding a UniFi G4 though. The new wired nest doorbell is good and loads fast in the google home app, but also no SD storage. Cheap subscription service though. 

Ring hasn’t been the best for me. 

The UniFi stuff from Ubiquiti is pretty good and works without any cloud subscription, you want to look at the G4 Doorbell.

However, if you don't have anything else UniFi I suspect it would be a costly upfront investment. You need hardware from them such as the Cloud Key Plus or Dream Machine Pro to record / enable you to run the doorbell. You can very easily add CCTV, WiFi access points and other products in their ecosystem once you have got started however, so if you also had CCTV ifs a great way of been totally in control of everything without any sort of subscription.

Someone has released an unofficial Docker image to run the UniFi protect software outside their hardware if you had an old PC and just wanted to buy the doorbell, however long term I suspect that will have issues: https://hub.docker.com/r/iamjamestl/unifi-protect

I don't personally have their doorbell, however I've had great experiences with their CCTV / WiFi products.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another claim that I would need verified:

There's a review on Amazon that says the recording on the memory card doesn't automatically loop, so when the card full, you have to to a full format on it.

Like with a lot of the other complaints, I've only seen this mentioned in one place, and not in professional reviews, which seems really weird to me. It also seems weird to me that Tp-link wouldn't build this functionality in. But its always possible he's right, because many of the people reviewing the device probably didn't keep it running for long enough to find out about this issue.

I bought the Amcrest AD410 to replace my Hikvision DS-KB6003-WIP. I actually had it imported to The Netherlands and it still worked out cheaper than replacing the water damaged Hikvision or alternatives.

It requires hardwiring though. Mine is connected to my 24V bell travo + mechanical chime and Synology NAS, and I keep 30 days of recordings on it. The onboard SdCard is supported up to 256GB and I can view the doorbell remotely through the phone app with the Amcrest account, which does not require a Cloud subscription, but you can purchase one if you want.

610vfs2UJsL._AC_SL1414_.jpg

https://amzn.to/3Spyudv (it's a Neowin affiliate link) it is a good device for just $149.

It cost me €186.33 including global shipping + tax according to my Visa, which works out to around $184.

On 21/10/2022 at 11:44, Steven P. said:

I bought the Amcrest AD410 to replace my Hikvision DS-KB6003-WIP. I actually had it imported to The Netherlands and it still worked out cheaper than replacing the water damaged Hikvision or alternatives.

It requires hardwiring though. Mine is connected to my 24V bell travo + mechanical chime and Synology NAS, and I keep 30 days of recordings on it. The onboard SdCard is supported up to 256GB and I can view the doorbell remotely through the phone app with the Amcrest account, which does not require a Cloud subscription, but you can purchase one if you want.

610vfs2UJsL._AC_SL1414_.jpg

https://amzn.to/3Spyudv (it's a Neowin affiliate link) it is a good device for just $149.

It cost me €186.33 including global shipping + tax according to my Visa, which works out to around $184.

Can you keep and view recordings without the subscription?

On 21/10/2022 at 13:52, redfish said:

if they're saving to his personal NAS which he mentioned it's connected to then that would be a yes. sounds like a good deal (Y)

On 21/10/2022 at 20:52, redfish said:

Yes, on the sdCard and/or stream to NAS (Surveillance Station) the doorbell is also fully supported for Synology NAS DSM 7.

SNAG-0008.png