VirtualBox 7

Question

Anyone having any issues with VB7? Ever since I moved from 6.x to 7 none of my windows 10/11 VM's will boot, they will go to the boot screen, then stop and just there with the HDD status bar icon blinking.. It also seems drastically shower in the VirtualBox UI... I did a test new VM install of windows 11 using the new TPM virtualization and strangely it works fine, the problem seems to only be VM's that were created in previous versions and migrated.

I also saw this on a new clean install of windows 11 as the Host OS.

Anyone else seeing this?

The UI also seems like something is wrong with it for the management UI... all the theming is gone and it looks like basic windows components now

5 answers to this question

Wasn't VirtualBox 7.0 just released today? LOL I doubt many people have tried it yet.

On 10/10/2022 at 23:25, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Wasn't VirtualBox 7.0 just released today? LOL I doubt many people have tried it yet.

hence why I'm asking if anyone has issues... there's nothing out there yet that i've found

I've just rolled back to 6. Had the same issue with the light theme showing as no theme at all (dark loaded as default and seemed to display fine).

Also D3D was broken in my Win7 guest.

On 11/10/2022 at 08:53, protocol7 said:

I've just rolled back to 6. Had the same issue with the light theme showing as no theme at all (dark loaded as default and seemed to display fine).

Also D3D was broken in my Win7 guest.

I can't even get any VM's to boot that were created in 6.x in 7... but if I recreate them they will boot fine... the migrated ones will just sit at the spinner screen on the boot logo jammed after looking like they would load they just stop and nothing

Windows 10 pro  22H2 OS Build 19045.2130  user here. VirtualBox-7.0.0-153978-Win.exe

How did this ever get out of beta?.

I had an existing VM running Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS  running fine in VB 6.1.38. It crashes with a FATAL pop up message that says virtualBox vm.exe -Application Error . The Instruction at 0x00007FFEC69AA0D9 referenced memory at 0x00000000000001B8. The Memory Could Not Be Read. Click OK to terminate program.

This crash occurred during the boot phase,right before  (Milliseconds actually ) when it tried to fetch my sign-in name and THEN display it on the VM screen for me to click on it and then allow me to enter my password.

Removed Ubuntu VM COMPLETELY and created A NEW one. It did the SAME exact thing again. Uninstalled 7.0.0-153978  Reinstalled 6.1.38-153438. Did Another fresh install of Ubuntu and it works absolutely fine.

Also during 7.0.0 Install It popped up message Immediately that it NEEDS Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable to be Installed FIRST, Why isn't this Included with the package? Why NO Mention of this on oracle's Download page ?

I found Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) and installed that. (VC_redist.x64.exe file version 14.32.31332.0 file modified date 8/5/2022