How reliable is CCleaner "Driver Updater"

Question

CCleaner is listing several updates on system things.

However, MyAsus (on my Asus notebook) is not reporting anything new & to-be-updated.

So... how reliable is this CCleaner? And is it wise to update to the newest version (they are suggesting)?

Or... can I better stick with my current setup (with no -noticeable- bugs, errors etc).

I mean, if it ain't broken.... ; however, it's always nice to have the latest updates 😁

image.png

7 answers to this question

On 11/10/2022 at 11:49, Brandon H said:

personally I haven't trusted CCleaner period since they were bought out by Avast back in 2017

Yeah, that was about the time I gave up on it for anything also.

Driver updates are garbage. I tried once and it completely screwed my system. But... It can be useful if you have some Realtek drivers as those are sort of a mess and if you really want to update, go to the website and download the official driver.

Also, if someone know a better alternative than CCleaaner, that would be great.

I will occasionally still use CCleaner for its basic 'cleaning' functions.

Though, like others comment, it took a sad dive after its purchase by the Avast parent company.

I'm probably old-school, I prefer the pre-Avast user interface of CCleaner.

And I would second these recommendations to not use CCleaner as your driver update management tool.

But if you wish to continue to use it, I'd suggest to turn off all of its automatic or scheduled activities -- these used to be accurately called "Monitoring" and Avast renamed to the meaningless and confusing "Smart Cleaning" phrase. 

I'd suggest to run only the basic cleaning functions occasionally when you feel the system needs a bit of extra cleaning out.

It is pretty good at removing a lot of old browsers history and reference files -- though I suggest you carefully examine its settings to determine for yourself what you are willing to let it remove, as my evaluation is that in default setting, it removes too much.

Best,,,