Thoughts on Windows 11 22H2 Moment 1 update?

My first impression is not great and it's just a VM, because my main PC is still on Windows 10.

I tried to hide some documents from appearing in Recents, but the option doesn't appear to do anything at all. Well done Microsoft! /s

File Explorer tabs are also clunky and not nice to work with, it really feels like a half done job. At the very least they could have force the tab dragging animation to stay on the bar, since you can only drag in front or after other tabs. You can't detach a tab into a new window, although the animation suggests it is possible.

I miss the days of developers having the vision of Longhorn and Vista. Now it is just a half done feature that doesn';t even fully work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a major improvement over the initial release. This is what Windows 11 should have released as from the getgo, I'd have taken another year of development over the mess they pushed out last year.

Having said that, it's still not as good as Windows 10. Everything feels half backed, we still have dueling UIs, and the cloud centric hooks that nag continue to be a nuisance. 

Windows 11 is now my daily driver for both work and personal use.

• Like 2

Been using Windows 11 since release, and i actually do like it,  then again i liked the initial release, adapted quick to changes, and been using it daily for my daily usage.    Windows 10 Laptop seeing lighter use lately, but still use that with Windows 10 off and on

The Changes in Moment 1 update i do like,  very useable, then again i thought it was even in inital release, but maybe i'm the minority as once i upgrade to a Operation system i just adapt and use it,  even liked Windows 8 in the past lol

On 18/10/2022 at 13:00, Steven P. said:

I miss the days of developers having the vision of Longhorn and Vista. Now it is just a half done feature that doesn';t even fully work.

Windows 'Longhorn' / Windows Vista is my favorite.

The details of Jim Allchin's message to Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer in 2004 about Microsoft losing its way are perhaps more relevant:

VWYG0eV.png

• Like 3

On 19/10/2022 at 03:50, NinjaGinger said:

Although, updated are welcome, it still seems I am not destined to upgrade to 11, even though I meet the hardware criteria.

I'm running Windows 11 22H2 an an Intel Core i7-6700K system. There are so many guides out there. Here's one: https://pureinfotech.com/rufus-create-bootable-windows-11-22h2-usb/

• 2 weeks later...

Just updated my Notebook to Windows 11.  It's fine.  Installed ExplorerPatch from github ... the UI is now basically just like Windows 10.  Got my Quick Launch toolbar, never combine, straight corners, etc.  It's fine.