Rust Community Server?

Should we start a Rust Community Server?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should we start a Rust Community Server?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other Game

Starting this poll to gauge interest in starting another Neowin Community Server on another game.

I'd probably play on it, maybe my wife, though we'd have to have anti-cheat disabled because all our computers run Linux.

I tried Rust ages ago, didn't enjoy it. As a casual gamer I never stood a chance against the kids who have nothing better to do all day. I'd manage to build a small base over a few days, gather some meagre resources, and feel set. Then come back after a few days and I'm back to square one.

I generally prefer non PvP games anyway.

On 27/10/2022 at 07:21, Slugsie said:

I tried Rust ages ago, didn't enjoy it. As a casual gamer I never stood a chance against the kids who have nothing better to do all day. I'd manage to build a small base over a few days, gather some meagre resources, and feel set. Then come back after a few days and I'm back to square one.

I generally prefer non PvP games anyway.

There's tons of servers that bend the game however you'd want to play. Currently I'm playing on a PVE server that has events and radiable bases I'm digging. I've also seen PVP servers that only let you play a certain number of hours, or only raid players when they're online. 

• Like 1

I have a demo Rust server up and running at 149.56.154.44

So I downloaded and installed Rust last night. I then spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to connect to the server (hint, you need to open the console and type 'connect <ip address>'. Then after it spent 10 minutes doing god knows what as it downloaded and initiated assets for the server I was in. I woke up naked on a beach with a rock and a torch. I then spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what I was doing. I eventually bashed the living daylights out of a tree with the rock and had enough wood to make a hammer. Then night fell. I stumbled back to the beach, found an abandoned non working car and somehow got inside. Then some one started shooting me (apparently a 'scientist'), and I couldn't get out the car. Then I died (still naked, with a rock, torch, and hammer). I tried to respawn but Rust crashed. I restarted and tried to log back in, but Rust was going to spend 10 minutes re-downloading the assets.

Thus ended my foray in Rust.

Thanks for setting the server up, but this game isn't for me.

No worries Slugsie, again it's more of a test, the assets dont actually download from the server there local and yes it being on an ssd is still slow with asset warmup... 

And I don't expect Rust to be for everyone, just like Minecraft and umpteen other games are not for everyone.  Thats also why theres an "Other" option on the poll.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2022 at 10:20, Slugsie said:

So I downloaded and installed Rust last night. I then spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to connect to the server (hint, you need to open the console and type 'connect <ip address>'. Then after it spent 10 minutes doing god knows what as it downloaded and initiated assets for the server I was in. I woke up naked on a beach with a rock and a torch. I then spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what I was doing. I eventually bashed the living daylights out of a tree with the rock and had enough wood to make a hammer. Then night fell. I stumbled back to the beach, found an abandoned non working car and somehow got inside. Then some one started shooting me (apparently a 'scientist'), and I couldn't get out the car. Then I died (still naked, with a rock, torch, and hammer). I tried to respawn but Rust crashed. I restarted and tried to log back in, but Rust was going to spend 10 minutes re-downloading the assets.

Thus ended my foray in Rust.

Thanks for setting the server up, but this game isn't for me.

Welcome to Rust ... it's defiantly not for everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would be totally down, but i prefer resource boosted servers (2x, 10x, etc.).  Where you thinking about vanilla or modded?  I'd also be down to help moderate.