Any Way To Install an Apple Silicon Mac App Without Requiring Rosetta 2?

I want to buy and install ON1 Photo Raw 2023 but the installer is requiring Rosetta 2, although the app itself is Apple Silicon Native. I do not want that Rosetta garbage on my Mac. Is there any way to modify the installer and/or extract the contents so I can install them manually? I do not want that troublesome Rosetta garbage on my Mac as its known to cause issues.

Some companies are lazy and their installers and/or updaters are still not native. 

Rosetta 2 is troublesome in what way exactly?

On 22/10/2022 at 22:17, spacelordmaster said:

I want to buy and install ON1 Photo Raw 2023 but the installer is requiring Rosetta 2, although the app itself is Apple Silicon Native. I do not want that Rosetta garbage on my Mac. Is there any way to modify the installer and/or extract the contents so I can install them manually? I do not want that troublesome Rosetta garbage on my Mac as its known to cause issues.

I dont know what you are going on about but Rosetta 2 is one of the most stable translation layers. Compare this to Windows translations layer for x86 to ARM and then x64 to ARM. I also speak from experience since I have a Launch day Surface Pro X and i also have a M1 MBP 16".

I dont know why you have such strong feelings about it but just like Rosetta 1, Apple has done a LOT of work to make sure its flawless and I can tell you again from experience that the non native apps that I have on my 16" have caused me NO ISSUES.

Also like Adrynalyne said, the installer is most likely not AS native but the actual APP is especially if the dev has said it is.

Have you actually installed / ran any non AS native apps and ran into issues or did you read reddit or a forum and all of a sudden you think Rosetta is trash and troublesome? Genuinely curious why you have such strong feelings

On 23/10/2022 at 00:03, Sikh said:

I dont know what you are going on about but Rosetta 2 is one of the most stable translation layers. Compare this to Windows translations layer for x86 to ARM and then x64 to ARM. I also speak from experience since I have a Launch day Surface Pro X and i also have a M1 MBP 16".

I dont know why you have such strong feelings about it but just like Rosetta 1, Apple has done a LOT of work to make sure its flawless and I can tell you again from experience that the non native apps that I have on my 16" have caused me NO ISSUES.

Also like Adrynalyne said, the installer is most likely not AS native but the actual APP is especially if the dev has said it is.

Have you actually installed / ran any non AS native apps and ran into issues or did you read reddit or a forum and all of a sudden you think Rosetta is trash and troublesome? Genuinely curious why you have such strong feelings

Because in the past it used to cause a lot of issues and it seems a bit misleading for a developer to say their app is 100% Apple Silicon native when the installer is clearly not. The whole point of having a 100% M1 native app is to avoid Rosetta or any third party "plug-ins" to be able to install/run the app.

On 22/10/2022 at 21:19, spacelordmaster said:

Because in the past it used to cause a lot of issues and it seems a bit misleading for a developer to say their app is 100% Apple Silicon native when the installer is clearly not. The whole point of having a 100% M1 native app is to avoid Rosetta or any third party "plug-ins" to be able to install/run the app.

Good luck avoiding Rosetta; this is not an uncommon practice. Rosetta will be around for a few more years easily. Unless you have a MacBook, there is no reason to fret over it. Heck when it comes to installers there is no reason to fret about it regardless. 

Having Rosetta installed isn’t going to cause issues. 

• Like 4

On 23/10/2022 at 02:25, adrynalyne said:

Good luck avoiding Rosetta; this is not an uncommon practice. Rosetta will be around for a few more years easily. Unless you have a MacBook, there is no reason to fret over it. Heck when it comes to installers there is no reason to fret about it regardless. 

Having Rosetta installed isn’t going to cause issues. 

What he said. You use the installer once, you'll be fine if its being "translated". If it takes an extra 10 secs to install something, its fine.

Because in the past it used to cause a lot of issues

You do understand that "in the past" is over 20 years ago AND back then tech wasn't this evolved and Apple didn't have the talent it did. It was also very difficult to go from PowerPC to Intel and they pulled it off with minimal issues. As a long time Mac user (2006), I can tell you Rosetta was one of the best things to exist in software for what it did. Was there bugs yes, but a lot of people used it for work purposes and didnt have many issues. People still run powerpc apps to this day on 10.6 on Mac Pros for professional use cases without issues. 

You are definitely fine but if you are really anti Rosetta, good luck with not having full compatible apps for at least another year or two. Even thou apple has made the transition as easy as they could, a lot of software is always written with shortcuts and the "we will fix this later" mentality is huge in software dev. So now later has come and its most likely much "easier" to rebuild the entire thing but that takes a lot of time. The devs that didnt cut corners, you can tell cause they made the full transition to AS/ARM without much issues.

On 23/10/2022 at 00:19, spacelordmaster said:

What "issues" has Rosetta 1 or even 2 caused?  It doesn't run when an app is fully ARM native.

You do understand that Rosetta 2 is about 20 years removed from Rosetta 1 and they share sod all in common. This is a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing - you assume too much and have reached a false conclusion.

• Like 2

On 31/10/2022 at 21:50, binaryzero said:

This is the same guy who asked if a different sized monitor would work on his computer, then realised his eyes were strained because he didn't have a backlight...

You are full of jokes aren't you?