Fix Windows 10 Dark mode context menus with AcrylicMenus

*** THIS IS SOLVED - GO TO SOLUTION ***

SNAG-0001.png

It has always bothered me that someone thought this was beautiful in Dark mode. Windows 10 Light mode context menus are far nicer with the shadow effect. Even if that white border could be changed to dark grey, it would be an improvement on what's there now.

Here is the same sort of menu in Chrome.

SNAG-0002.png

On 23/10/2022 at 16:42, Steven P. said:

What a useless unhelpful comment.

It's always helpful to take a stab at the owner of a forum on his own forum. 😅

• Steven P. changed the title to Fix Windows 10 Dark mode context menus with AcrylicMenus

This is an old topic, but it deserves a meaningful update.

I came across AcrylicMenus earlier this year and was using it on my old Intel system, anyway long story short, after upgrading my main PC in July and trying Windows 11, I have moved back to Windows 10 in October and I am slowing setting up my system with tweaks and stuff I come across.

I didn't really recommend AcrylicMenus before because although it looked great when I installed it, every time I used a context menu, the old white border style would flash for half a second before updating to the beautiful Arcrylic style. I just revisited the Github repo and see that they have updated it in August so that it no longer flashes when invoking a context menu!

image.png

If you use dark mode on Windows 10, I highly recommend giving this a try https://github.com/krlvm/AcrylicMenus

Now I am going to find out how to disable the AMD Adrenalin entry in context menus!

On 09/11/2023 at 06:46, Steven P. said:

Now I am going to find out how to disable the AMD Adrenalin entry in context menus!

Open your registry editor and add {FDADFEE3-02D1-4E7C-A511-380F4C98D73B} to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked. That'll keep that particular shell extension from loading, removing the context menu. Likely have to log off, if not reboot entirely.

On 09/11/2023 at 15:41, Max Norris said:

Open your registry editor and add {FDADFEE3-02D1-4E7C-A511-380F4C98D73B} to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked. That'll keep that particular shell extension from loading, removing the context menu. Likely have to log off, if not reboot entirely.

Tried it, didn't work.. nor did the entry {6767B3BC-8FF7-11EC-B909-0242AC120002} which was also suggested.

BTW I tried TranslucentFlyouts (what the developer of AcrylicMenus suggests we migrate to) but I didn't like it at all. It is buggy and I do not like the near see through menus on light backgrounds.

On 09/11/2023 at 12:41, Steven P. said:

Tried it, didn't work.. nor did the entry {6767B3BC-8FF7-11EC-B909-0242AC120002} which was also suggested.

BTW I tried TranslucentFlyouts (what the developer of AcrylicMenus suggests we migrate to) but I didn't like it at all. It is buggy and I do not like the near see through menus on light backgrounds.

Hmm sorry, had that in my notebook and guess that's out of date, currently at work and only have a Plasma desktop handy at the moment so can't double check. Another option, you typically see a lot of context menu entries under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and then either directory or desktop depending on where that menu is located, for example HKCR/Desktop/Background/Shell/My Annoying Context Menu/...  just remove that subkey and it'll disappear.  As an example, Visual Studio Build Tools will add a "Open with Visual Studio" menu entry, pity Visual Studio isn't actually installed. That one is HKCR/Directory/Background/Shell/AnyCode.  I just snip AnyCode out and it's gone. Usually doesn't require restarting Explorer.  Obviously may want to export that entire branch before messing with it, just in case.

On 09/11/2023 at 06:46, Steven P. said:

This is an old topic, but it deserves a meaningful update.

I came across AcrylicMenus earlier this year and was using it on my old Intel system, anyway long story short, after upgrading my main PC in July and trying Windows 11, I have moved back to Windows 10 in October and I am slowing setting up my system with tweaks and stuff I come across.

I didn't really recommend AcrylicMenus before because although it looked great when I installed it, every time I used a context menu, the old white border style would flash for half a second before updating to the beautiful Arcrylic style. I just revisited the Github repo and see that they have updated it in August so that it no longer flashes when invoking a context menu!

image.png

If you use dark mode on Windows 10, I highly recommend giving this a try https://github.com/krlvm/AcrylicMenus

Based on my experience with Windows visual styles, the standard windows context menu borders and other elements are image files in the "aero.msstyles" file located in "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\aero". I haven't used Windows Style Builder in a couple years now, however from what I understand some folks on the WSB forums have it working for Windows 10 and 11 with some sort of uxtheme patcher. The most native way of fixing this terrible dark theme would be to fix Microsoft's aero visual style.

I'll see what I can do once I'm home later today or possibly this weekend if I don't get to it. This sort of inconsistency in Microsoft's own themes drove me nuts during my time as a visual style maker for vista/7.