How to migrate POP3 to Exchange online

Bit of a background...
Even though I left the IT world years ago, I've detected several collegues in the Insurance world could really use help (i.e. they are willing to pay) for a IT service/consultant.
Might as well consider collegues as clients. There aren't that many engineers as Insurance agents, much less with an IT background. So I speak their language

So with that out of the way...the actual problem.

I'm in the middle of a email migration. Have 5 pop accounts migrating to Exchange Online (the $5 USD a month/per user tier). 
Email client: Outlook 365
At first I thought it would be easy as just export/import the PST to the new email account, including the folders they made. Most emails are there, however had an instance that a PC fried so I when I configured a new machine with an account, the emails on these folders aren't shown. Thought maybe had to give it time to download the emails. However even after couple of hours, these folders are still empty. However they DO show on webmail (https://outlook.office.com/mail/) but not on the Outlook client.

Beside export/import the PST, was there a correct way to migrate it? What did I miss

On 25/10/2022 at 18:41, freedonX said:

Bit of a background...
Even though I left the IT world years ago, I've detected several collegues in the Insurance world could really use help (i.e. they are willing to pay) for a IT service/consultant.
Might as well consider collegues as clients. There aren't that many engineers as Insurance agents, much less with an IT background. So I speak their language

So with that out of the way...the actual problem.

I'm in the middle of a email migration. Have 5 pop accounts migrating to Exchange Online (the $5 USD a month/per user tier). 
Email client: Outlook 365
At first I thought it would be easy as just export/import the PST to the new email account, including the folders they made. Most emails are there, however had an instance that a PC fried so I when I configured a new machine with an account, the emails on these folders aren't shown. Thought maybe had to give it time to download the emails. However even after couple of hours, these folders are still empty. However they DO show on webmail (https://outlook.office.com/mail/) but not on the Outlook client.

Beside export/import the PST, was there a correct way to migrate it? What did I miss

Not sure if this will work for you, but when migrating e-mail accounts manually in the past, what I usually do is I create the mail accounts on the new server and create the same folder structure per account, then use Thunderbird to connect to both accounts on both servers (Just use IPs instead of actual domains) Then just drag and drop from one account to the other. Works like a charm.

Of course this is not something you can do when you have hundreds if not thousands of accounts to migrate, but for a few, it's pretty doable.

Cheers!

On 25/10/2022 at 20:04, binaryzero said:

Chances are you've purchased the sub (Exchange P1) that only supports Outlook Web, not the Outlook Client.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/microsoft-365/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans

I'll have to ask, but what would be the difference? They already have the Outlook client. What would that be any different, as Outlook client does allow adding an Exchange account.

On 25/10/2022 at 18:53, Elі said:

Not sure if this will work for you, but when migrating e-mail accounts manually in the past, what I usually do is I create the mail accounts on the new server and create the same folder structure per account, then use Thunderbird to connect to both accounts on both servers (Just use IPs instead of actual domains) Then just drag and drop from one account to the other. Works like a charm.

Of course this is not something you can do when you have hundreds if not thousands of accounts to migrate, but for a few, it's pretty doable.

Cheers!

I follow technically what you mean, but don't quite understand how Outlook client or Exchange account would take in place here. The only files that I see are the PST and they are saved locally on the PC. There aren't any domains or IPs for that matter.

On 26/10/2022 at 14:14, freedonX said:

I'll have to ask, but what would be the difference? They already have the Outlook client. What would that be any different, as Outlook client does allow adding an Exchange account.

Connecting an Exchange P1 mailbox to the Outlook Client isn't supported, P1 gives you Outlook Web and iOS\Android clients.

On 25/10/2022 at 21:04, binaryzero said:

Chances are you've purchased the sub (Exchange P1) that only supports Outlook Web, not the Outlook Client.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/microsoft-365/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans

I have a p1 and can use the desktop client just fine.

You don’t get office/outlook client in a p1 subscription, but if you already have a client from a different 365 sub, or a standalone product like office 2021, you can use it just fine. 

• Like 2