trick my tablet into thinking my finger is the pen

How do i do this? I have a Toshiba Portege First Generation (Pentium 3 @ 1.33 Ghz) Tablet PC. I know the screen is electromagnetic and something in the tip of the pen is causing the display to recognize the pen's movements, but i want it recognize my finger. so what do i put on the tip of my finger to trick the tablet into thinking my finger is the pen?

snap off the end of the pen, and glue it to your finger

lol ...but the pens are expensive and I only got one with the tablet. :rolleyes:

plus, what i mean is, i want something that could be natural, something that i could actually comfortably keep on my finger, something very thin, light and small...almost like the size and shape of one of those little holes you get when you hole punch a peice of paper...

well, u could use ebay, get a tablet pen, take off the end point, use a knife to cut the end of ur finger open, removea little bit of the flesh inside, insert metal point, shut with glue or a bandaid, then wait 4 weeks, then as good as new.... now try going through airport security

well... if that were possible, then the stylus wouldn't cost the price they did... just cut off the pen

actually... I thought that a stylus only cost about $25 (australian)?

well, u could use ebay, get a tablet pen, take off the end point, use a knife to cut the end of ur finger open, removea little bit of the flesh inside, insert metal point, shut with glue or a bandaid, then wait 4 weeks, then as good as new.... now try going through airport security

ROFLMAO :laugh:

Tablet PCs use a magnetic digitizer. That has the pro of being able to rest your hand on your Tablet PC, and the con of having to use a tablet pen. Unless you want to follow the advice of the people above, I think you're stuck with your pen.

Well, you wont be able to if the screen isn't pressure-sensitive.

If it's done by electromagnets then... tough.

Why youd want to use your finger anyway, I don't know :)

To use a finger would not be very accurate, not to mention the marks you'd get on the screen.

anything metal should work...

perhaps try using a paper clip (the rounded edge, so it doesn't scratch the screen). if it works, then just glue a paper clip to your finger.

nope...i didn't have a paper clip...but i had some staples so i took out one of stacks and when i brought it near the screen, nothing happened. then when i lightly touched the screen, nothing happened either. the electromagnetic screen did not recognize the metal staples.

ya it would **** up a lot of things in there. are there any 2in 1 things that are super ergonomic and have a real pen and a stylus in em? i have a 3in1 for my palmpilot but i dont know if they have any for tablets.

@brian, heat. if u have a synaptics touchpad, click on the taskbar icon and go to some settign (i dont have a laptop, but there are only htree different options so jsut use process of elimnation). u can make it show how much heat is being applied to touchpad.

Actually you're all wrong.

First, the touchpads on laptops work through capacitance, not through heat. What you're seeing on the touchpad meter isn't a measure of how much heat you're generating (or else it wouldn't work in very hot or very cold environments, and it wouldn't work well if your fingers are cold, or it would work with warm metal, etc.) but rather a graphical representation of the strength of the capacitative field generated by your finger.

Second, the stylus on the TabletPC works in a manner entirely different from the touchpad (or else it would think your finger is the stylus). The TabletPC uses inductive position sensing. I've read material that confirms this somewhere on Microsoft's site, but a quick search didn't turn up anything and I'm too lazy to dig deeper. If you're interested, google is your friend.

The moral of the story? You can't use your finger as a stylus. I've seen a small stylus that fits on the end of your finger for use with PDAs, and I can't see any theoretical reason why something similar shouldn't be possible for the TabletPC, but I just can't see why you'd want to use something like that.

Something to try... it may or may not work, I dunno - and if it buggers up your Tablet don't blame me. Right, well - get some sort of metal rod, 10 cm long and about 0.75 - 1 cm thick. On one end, file/dremel/grind it off to a point (blunt it a bot so that it doesn't scratch the screen). Then .get some insualted hookup wire , and sticky-tape one end to the non-tapered end of the rod, with about 10cm free (to hook up a battery). Then, tightly coil wire all the way down to the bottom of the rod, stopping about 1 cm from the tapering. Sticky tape it there, loop the left-over wire back up to the top of the rod, and sticky-tape it nect to the battery lead there. Hook up a 6 or so volt battery to the wires, and give it a whirl.

does anyone know how touchpads work. the only thing it works with besides a body part is a battery. is it based on electrical charge or heat

I believe it's by electric charge, when i use a "Toonie" ($2 Canadian Coin) the touchpad actually works, but when i use any other denominations the mouse doesn't move at all.