Need to replace a component? PSU? GPU? Motherboard?

The short of the mater is that yesterday after voting, i loaded some youtube videos and walked a little ways from the computer before the GPU fans kicked up to max with both screens (1440p & 4k resolutions). Turned off the system, got the system to boot once to desktop. Within about a min, the fans kicked up again with the screens turning off then trying to get back into the desktop I got the message: please power down and connect the pcie power cables for this graphics card.

PCPartPicker Part List

Bought the 2070 in March of 2020, only last year did it ever start cranking the fans and turning mothers black (and this year). If i need a whole new system, I already posted a topic on that.

Hello,

I would suggest starting with swapping out the PSU first.  It might not be the component that failed, but it would be the first one I would want to check for troubleshooting purposes.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

PC Part Picker says estimated wattage of 448W. Add a few case fans and put it under load, and you're nearly at your 550W limit. I'd be inclined to agree with Goretsky, but upgrade to a higher capacity PSU too for extra headroom. I'd go for something around a 750W like a Corsair RM750.

is it possible that the power connection ports (8-pin or 6-pin or both) for your 2070 super have gone bad somehow? Testing with a different PSU could help determine the issue like Aryeh suggested. Though the easier thing to do will be to try that graphics card of yours on a different system. If this does not help you pin-point the problem, then it will require a more thorough inspection from a technician using a multimeter or something.

Also, btw have you made sure you are using separate power cables to plug into the 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors on your GPU, and not the same cable from the PSU is plugged into both? Sometimes people do plug in the same cable by mistake which prevents the GPU from getting the power it requires.

Your mobo+CPU has integrated graphics, so connect to that instead of the GPU and see if anything displays. 

I suppose the PSU could have burned out, but then you'd think nothing would power on.  Though maybe a certain voltage rail failed, and you'd have to take a multi-meter and measure all the voltage outputs.

Would look at the PSU...at least get higher wattage.  If that doesn't fix the problem, your GPU should still be under warranty (eVGA 3yr).

You said the fans started cranking up last year, and the card is almost three old.. have you checked for dust? Some people do not take into account that their systems can get clogged (depending on your environment) other factors such as not having enough room around the PC means that it can't "breathe" properly too, but basically I would suggest taking a compressed air canister to it once a year.

I also have a 550W (gold) PSU and a KFA2 RTX 2070 SUPER. I ensured when I built this system that everything could be powered fine.

You might want to consider swapping out the HDDs for 2x black friday 2TB SSDs if you can afford it. They will use less power and it will quieten your system significantly.

I got my 2TB Samsung 870 QVO on a deal for EUR 111,50 in Dec 2021, the same now costs €173 here 😮 but everything is expensive in The Netherlands, inflation on some luxury products went up 45% here thanks to war profiteering and corporate price gouging.

I think people pretty much summed things up already. so I don't really need to say much, but I thought i would make a comment on the following...

On 09/11/2022 at 18:32, Steven P. said:

but basically I would suggest taking a compressed air canister to it once a year

In short... that's probably a good minimum guideline to keep ones PC from getting TOO much dust in it.

but onto the novel...

I suspect it might vary a bit from person to person (since some places might be a bit more dusty than others) but if someone leaves their computer running all of the time, or at least most of the time, I would suggest blowing the dust out of the CPU/GPU area etc about twice a year (or once every six months) to be fairly safe as I would say a once a year is a bare minimum, unless of course people don't run their computers all that often since then the dust build-up might not be that much in which case once a year or two (maybe more) might be okay.

I blow out my main PC case, with a air compressor (I generally use one of those portable ones so I don't have to move the PC case to the garage to use the big one), about twice a year and I leave my primary PC on all of the time and have two 120mm fans (one exhaust/one intake) on it. although sometimes I might only do it 1-2 times a year. but if I slack a bit, to buy me more time, what ill usually do is remove the side of my case with the PC running and, with my mouth, blow into the general CPU heatsink area which removes the bulk of the dust (even then it's still not too much dust, but I would imagine is enough to increase CPU temp a bit) and then I am good for a while again as my GPU (1050 Ti 4GB) is not something I got to worry about heat much at all (as I am sure it's running more on the cool side than warmer side in general compared to some GPU's) as it would have to get really packed full of dust for it to potentially become a issue and even then it would have to be under a higher load in gaming. basically dust would become a problem for my CPU far sooner than my GPU as I suspect I could wait years on my GPU without blowing dust out of it and it might still not be a obvious issue. although I would say as a good minimum guideline I use a air compressor to blow out the dust from my case thoroughly at least once a year, even if a slack a bit, but I try to do twice for good measure.

my previous GPU, Radeon 5670 512MB, while I did not have too much heat issue here either, you can see dust buildup is quicker to raise temps on this vs my 1050 Ti which I could largely ignore if I wanted to for probably years as even when I do blow out the general case I can't recall ever seeing any obvious dust blow out of the GPU area when I hit it with air compressor where as on my Radeon 5670 that you could see a bit of dust blow out of that occasionally and had a more noticeable temp decrease afterwards.

but most important thing is, as you already know, make sure ones CPU/GPU etc is mostly dust free (like one can still have some dust build-up and not be a issue but you mainly want to avoid any serious level of dust buildup) as if someone never checks this stuff, especially if their computer is running most of the time, there is a reasonable chance that the dust will get packed in quite a bit after enough time passes to where it will be a problem. but I would imagine for many as long as they do a thorough job at least once a year that will probably keep the dust from getting TOO bad.

one of my cousins computers years ago (and even another person I knew) I remember opening the case and the CPU heatsink area was quite packed with dust build up (like where airflow was pretty much stopped) as I never let my PC(s) get even close to what theirs was like as it would take years to get as bad as theirs was.

anyways, I am done with the novel. if you are still reading, congrats ;)