Cambridge Soundworks MegaWorks THX 250D PC speakers takes ages to start working

I contacted a service near me for a possible repair, but it works out too expensive :( 

Below is translated from Dutch:

Good afternoon,

We could look at this but it is not a product that we know well. In practice, this means that we will work a bit longer, also due to lack of schematics.. Given the selling price, this does not seem economical to me, since there will soon be charged a € 87,50/hour (ex VAT and possibly shipping costs). When it becomes a search job, the disaster cannot be overlooked...

With kind regards,
Erwin de Vries

Hanex Service

Original message:

Hello,
My 2.1 speaker set is connected with RCA (coax digital) to my computer, but now the problem is if I turn off the speaker set with the volume control and on again, it takes between 2 and 15 minutes before I have sound again. This also happens when I connect the headphones (with 3.5mm jack on the front) volume control port and disconnect, which says something about a problem with muting, sometimes it is enough if I keep pressing the mute key of my keyboard after 15 minutes, the sound jumps on again. Once it starts to work and I don’t do the speakers in standby, they will continue to work for days when I leave my PC on.

In short: if I turn off the speakers and on again it takes 2-15 min before I have sound, this also happens with plugging in and out of plugging in. All lighting (on sub and volume control) indicate that they are "on" if there is no sound.

Analog was is also tested, and is the same as RCA (coax).
I read online that it is probably broken capacitors or resistors, and the question is whether you are doing such repairs?

With kind regards,
Steven Parker

Looks like I will have to keep using them till they stop working altogether.

• 1 month later...

Well it finally happened :( 

Yesterday my PC cut out and rebooted while I was using it, the lights in my house didn't flicker.. the volume control for my speakers did not lose power so I figured the speakers would still be working, but a day later and there is no sound anymore from them. I think a capacitor blew or something that caused a spike in the plug which reset my PC. I could not smell any burning, and the sub woofer (where the amplifier is located in my speakers) still works, the green indicator light is on and I can switch it on and off.

• I tested connecting the speakers with an analog cable (3.5mm jack) and: no sound.
  • I tested a TOSLINK to COAX adapter directly on the motherboard's TOSLINK port (to bypass the SPDIF link from the motherboard to backplate that I ordered from China for this motherboard) and: no sound
    image.jpeg
  • I tested connecting analog to my laptop bypassing my PC entirely, and no sound
  • I tested connecting headphones to the volume control of my speakers headphone port and: this still works

Looks like the amplifier in the sub is now toast.

I have decided to order the Edifier 360DB https://www.edifier.online/products/edifier-s360db-2-1-active-bluetooth-multimedia-speaker-system-black (Dutch price)

The right speaker has all the connections which is literally next to my PC so I should be able to use a short TOSLINK.

• Like 4