Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023)

On 01/12/2022 at 15:12, BoondockSaint said:

What is this utter nonsense of trailers have a "mini trailer clip" right at the start. I've never understood that.

It's to catch people's attention as they are scrolling past it on social media.  Gotta hook 'em quick!

If it had started with the slow drone shots of the forest and city... people might not stop to watch it.

In a movie theater you're pretty much stuck watching all the trailers.  It's a captive audience.

But on social media the next post is just a flick away.

😛

• Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 21:43, Michael Scrip said:

It's to catch people's attention as they are scrolling past it on social media.  Gotta hook 'em quick!

If it had started with the slow drone shots of the forest and city... people might not stop to watch it.

In a movie theater you're pretty much stuck watching all the trailers.  It's a captive audience.

But on social media the next post is just a flick away.

😛

Oh yeah for sure, have to catch the eye of those with goldfish attention spans :)

• Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 14:12, BoondockSaint said:

What is this utter nonsense of trailers have a "mini trailer clip" right at the start. I've never understood that.

it's because people have short attention spans.

• Like 1

So they're only just introducing RC because of the wokeness right?
(as in, I am not against it, they should have done it before!).

And there I was expecting Unicron...

Just use the same script (more or less) as the animated movie and fit everything around that - would make a great film!

• Facepalm 1

On 01/12/2022 at 15:44, Fleet Command said:

Transformers... I'm sure I've watched them. Maybe even talked about them here in Neowin. But I don't remember right now.

Are they good?

You basically just summed it up. they don't have any real staying power as they tend to be forgettable at best.

because to me, in very simple terms, movies are ultimately broke into two categories... ones ill re-watch (Thumbs Up) and those I won't (Thumbs Down).

hell, even looking at movies that say cracked the $1bil+ club (of which two Transformers movies are in this category), which is basically 51 movies according to boxofficemojo's website, there are very few that stand out if you ask me, as the only movies in that club that would be among my favorite movies in general (i.e. movies I personally score a 7/10 or higher) are... Skyfall (2012)(9/10), Top Gun: Maverick (2022)(8/10 (but closer to a 9 than a 7 based on my initial viewing so far)). there is some others I mildly like (roughly another seven movies) and one that's just shy of making it into 'my favorite movies' category The Dark Knight (2008)(6-6.5/10).

with that said, in regards to Transformers series in general... if I HAD to re-watch one of them right now I would probably go with the first one from 2007 (or give the only other movie I have not seen so far from 2018 (Bumblebee) a chance as I would guesstimate this is better than some of the others from a hunch on trailer etc). I have seen 5 out of 6 so far(all besides Bumblebee (2018)), or will be 5 out of 7 counting the one in the topic which I doubt ill watch.

but my opinion of the Transformer series in terms of score, all have been either a 5/10(average) or 4/10(below average) range as some are watchable while others are fairly dull/uninteresting, but they could be worse. just to list my definitions for my Thumbs Down score range...

5 = Average (Thumbs Down) (while ultimately a negative score, they typically don't waste my time)
4 = Below Average. (my interest in a movie really starts to struggle at this point)
3 = Failure. (I generally finished watching these but they are just bad)
2 = Boring. (I could not finish watching due to boredom and boring is pretty much the worst crime a movie can commit)
1 = Greatly Dislike. (very little I have seen is THIS bad)

for measure... most movies I see get a 5/10 with a 6/10 being the next most common and to state the obvious I ultimately rate movies based on how interesting they are as the further they get away from that the lower the score.

p.s. I think that's a problem with many people who rate movies on IMDb for example... they see a random movie, may score it pretty high only to never really care about it much after that which to me speaks volumes about what they really think of it. hence, they are not scoring it honestly based on their true interest in the movie as when people score movies it should always be in relation to everything you have seen and only score movies on the higher side if they genuinely stand out for you. because using my example above with Thumbs Down and Thumbs Up it comes back to the following for me in terms of scoring them on IMDb with it's 1 through 10 scoring system... 5/10 or less = Thumbs Down(but a 5/10 score is 'average' which is usually okay enough for a one time viewing but ultimately has no re-watch value as 4's and less is when things start to stand out in a negative way), 6/10 or higher = Thumbs Up. basically my favorite movies start at a 7/10 (like that I personally score a 7 or higher) which at the moment only 145 movies managed to pull that off out of the 2,350+ total movies I have seen. even movies a bit shy of reaching favorite movie status is only a additional 67 movies at the moment. but just straight up, with everything I have seen (i.e. 2,350+ total movies etc) only about 1 out of 5 (tops) (or about 20%) is worth re-watching and breaking it down like that in terms of favorites in the long term it's averaging about 1 out of every 16 movies I have seen and counting those just shy of favorite status it's averaging about 1 out of every 11 movies I have seen (I am sure these figures would decline even further if I continued to watch a bunch of movies from the past etc since I feel I have largely exhausted seeing movies that would be of any real worth for me into the past). but it's not surprising simply because the vast majority, if not a high percentage, of movies are nothing special (but I guess you got to watch a bunch before you start to really see the gems from 'just-another-movie' sort of thing). but those that do stand out, are simply the best form of general entertainment overall if you ask me.

Edited by ThaCrip

Looks good.

I loathed all of the Michael Bay Transformer movies.  The soft reboot Bumblebee was really good so I'm looking forward to this sequel with the Gen 1 Transformers.  

A side note ... Netflix's Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy was really good.

• Thanks 1

On 01/12/2022 at 22:26, Sir Topham Hatt said:

So they're only just introducing RC because of the wokeness right?
(as in, I am not against it, they should have done it before!).

And there I was expecting Unicron...

Just use the same script (more or less) as the animated movie and fit everything around that - would make a great film!

I hope not... That movie, soundtrack aside, was a horrible confusing mess!  There was zero plot, it just went from one random battle to another...

On 09/12/2022 at 14:41, spacelordmaster said:

Is it me or does this movie looks inferior in terms of visuals to the past films?

The trailer is low resolution.

• 4 months later...