How do I enable automatic windows updates?

I have googled this phrase and tried the options it outlines, but the setting I need is simply not there. It does seem to indicate that a policy may be enabled that disables it, but I have looked briefly through the group policy editor and since I am not 100% certain what I am looking for, nothing stands out as being the specific policy. Most specifically I wish to automate the Windows Security updates, which seem to happen around twice a day or so.

On 04/12/2022 at 18:10, Dick Montage said:

A bit more info would help.  Like, who is applying a policy?  Is it a work laptop that is centrally managed?

Not a work laptop, it is a clean install of the OS. I did use O&O Shut up to change a few things, but I've not done anything involving group policies.

On 04/12/2022 at 21:26, jnelsoninjax said:

Not a work laptop, it is a clean install of the OS. I did use O&O Shut up to change a few things, but I've not done anything involving group policies.

A lot of those applications that do things like that use group policy and registry edits to accomplish the task.

• Like 2

Defender will install the definitions automatically, you don't need to keep checking Windows update multiple times a day...

Otherwise you can do it via script (PowerShell), and a scheduled task.

• Like 2

On 06/12/2022 at 20:54, binaryzero said:

Defender will install the definitions automatically, you don't need to keep checking Windows update multiple times a day...

Otherwise you can do it via script (PowerShell), and a scheduled task.

The problem is that it doesn't update on its on, it pops up telling me there are updates, but doesn't install automatically.

1. Open PowerShell (Admin).

2. Run - "Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate". Accept untrusted repos, if you want to add the repo to the trusted list, go for it. Once installed, close PowerShell Window.

3. Open new PowerShell (Admin) window, run "Get-WindowsUpdate -Install -IgnoreReboot -Confirm:$false -Verbose".

4. Optional: Open PowerShell ISE, paste "Get-WindowsUpdate -Install -IgnoreReboot -Confirm:$false -Verbose", save as .ps1. Add to scheduled task.

On 07/12/2022 at 19:45, binaryzero said:

1. Open PowerShell (Admin).

2. Run - "Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate". Accept untrusted repos, if you want to add the repo to the trusted list, go for it. Once installed, close PowerShell Window.

3. Open new PowerShell (Admin) window, run "Get-WindowsUpdate -Install -IgnoreReboot -Confirm:$false -Verbose".

4. Optional: Open PowerShell ISE, paste "Get-WindowsUpdate -Install -IgnoreReboot -Confirm:$false -Verbose", save as .ps1. Add to scheduled task.

That did not do anything, no error messages, just as soon as I pasted the command and hit enter it simply displayed the command again

Capture.PNG.72afa76c82a58d9db945f678e1f15b1f.PNG

On 07/12/2022 at 20:12, binaryzero said:

Errr remove the " "

Oops! I tried to copy the script without the " " but I wasn't looking that closely!

OK, I got to the second script Get-WindowsUpdate -Install -IgnoreReboot -Confirm:$false -Verbose and I get an error saying that scripts can not run on this system.

Edited by jnelsoninjax