quick question

how can i change wich sound card is wich /dev/dsp ?

i have two (and some third one :s) currently my sb is dsp0 and something is dsp1 and my via (onboard) is dsp2. i want the via to be dsp0.. how do i do that??

dist: debian unstable

o and yeh, i am a noob in linux :p

Why do you need them to be in different orders?

If you are using a program that you want to have access a different system, you probably can specify which dsp to use. (either from the command line, or a config menu on a GUI program).

Well, you can probably disable your onboard sound, and that will eliminate one of your dsps. Not sure what your second one is. But, basically, unless you need all three of them, I would disable the others, so the one you want is guaranteed to be default.

I am sure that there is a more elegant way at re-ordering them, but I don't know it. :(

hm, well (i) idea :p

since the default device for everything is /dev/dsp and that is by default a link do /dev/dsp0 how can i change that link?

or how could i smimply disable loading the sb?

you could (as root) delete /dev/dsp, then do a ln -s /dev/dsp1 /dev/dsp

that'll link /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1 for ya.

Yeah! A symbolic link might do the trick for you! After all, that's how most Linux systems I know select different kernels. They have the vmlinuz symlinked to the current vmlinuz-2.x.xx-xxxx file. You can select one of the others manually, but the default of vmlinuz will be directed to one of the longer-named ones!

Let us know if that works. Pretty good idea, and worth trying!