Remote control non-smart TV from Windows laptop?

Is there any way to remote control a non-smart TV from Windows laptop. Need basic functions like powering the tv on, changing inputs etc. I know my laptop doesnt have IR but I have heard there are dongles for that. Any idea which dongle is required and what software is needed?

...maybe a USB IR transmitter and something like WinLIRC?

https://winlirc.sourceforge.net/

...or a Broadlink universal remote and integrate it with Home Assistant? 
https://www.amazon.com/Broadlink-RM-Mini3-Universal-Controller-Compatible/dp/B01FK2SDOC
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/broadlink/

Just spit balling ideas...

Hello,

I took a quick look on Amazon, and there many infra-red USB dongles listed.  Some of them mention coming with software as well.

My guess is you could find a brand and model you are comfortable with, and then contact the seller and ask them if they support your particular brand and model of television.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

An alternative would be to get a device like the BroadLink RM4 and ten call it from your PC...

It won't be "Out of the box" but with tinkering, yes sure.

On 11/12/2022 at 05:11, uniacidz said:

No

You are ignorant, so why comment?

That's actually a real neat question. Makes me kind of want to try to to turn off my living room TV with software :D .... I mean now I just say "Ok Google turn on / off the 70 inch" .. its actually being controlled through my NVidia shield, but it would be nice to just click a button.

On 12/12/2022 at 01:25, Warwagon said:

That's actually a real neat question. Makes me kind of want to try to to turn off my living room TV with software :D .... I mean now I just say "Ok Google turn on / off the 70 inch" .. its actually being controlled through my NVidia shield, but it would be nice to just click a button.

Yeah, the power button the remote... 

If the TV is connected via HDMI there is a command set for controlling connected devices through that.  If the TV is connected to a Roku or similar device, there are ways to control the connected tv over the network.  If none of those, then use a IR transmitter connected via USB, FireWire or something like that.  There are also special kits that allow you to control devices over RF which then convert to IR.

On a side note.  Seriously, if you're not here to add something constructive to the forum, just don't post.  "No" is neither constructive or informed.  All you're doing is advertising how much of an idiot you are.  Go to the corner and think about what you've done.

• Like 2

TV's that have a Roku build in, can take power from your phone. But I don't think that is what you meant.

And, most of us are ignoring him, so let him be..

You can pass commands to a Roku, fire stick, etc across the network, just like you can control a Roku from the phone app (which can turn off your tv, control the volume, etc).  

Roku documentation: https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/debugging/external-control-api.md

• Like 2

So just to clarify, if your TV supports CEC you should be able to plug something like the Nvidia shield into the nonsmart TV, then hook the shield to Google and give it a name. Then if you have a google home just say "Ok google, turn on or off (The name) and it "Should" turn on your TV. That's how I do it.

You may have to enable CEC in your tv's settings. Mine was turned off.

it won't change inputs though

*Warning* I will be saying "Ok Google" in this video.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...