New PC build .. Give me a once over.

On 27/12/2022 at 10:09, Warwagon said:

For Christmas, I thought I would build myself a new couch computer.

My current system is a 

CPU i5-7600 3.50 
RAM 32GB DDR 4
SSD 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus Gen 3
Graphics Card GTX 770

New system i'm spec'ing out to build

CPU -AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
MotherboardMSI B550-A PRO ProSeries Motherboard
Graphics Card - ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Twin Edge OC 8GB
Power supply - Corsair RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified,
Ram - G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 4000
Cooler - Noctua NH-D12L, Low-Height Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (120mm, Brown)
Storage - WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid

Current total is $1,376.81

I would like to stay under $1,400

I already have a case i'm going to throw it in. The front IO is old school, but I won't be using that anyway.

I'm going with 64GB of ram because I do like to run VMS with the occasional video editing.

For VMs and occasional video editing, I would suggest you to take a look at some of the Mini PC offers out there. I just ordered this one-off Amazon and it has a $100 discount today. I have been looking at numerous reviews for this model and some of the other most popular Mini PCs of 2022 and this one seems to have rave reviews by most reviewers.  You can get it directly from the Manufacturer as well for even less money, but I like the peace of mind of Amazon returns in case of an issue.

I want this one to use with ProXMoX for some fun projects, but supposedly it can even run 3A games.

On 29/12/2022 at 14:41, Elі said:

For VMs and occasional video editing, I would suggest you to take a look at some of the Mini PCs offers out there. I just ordered this one-off Amazon and it has a $100 discount today. I have been looking at numerous reviews for this model and some of the other most popular Mini PCs of 2022 and this one seems to have rave reviews by most reviewers. 

I already ordered the parts for this one. I had a mini PC once and it sounded like a leaf blower when it worked hard. It was so annoying.

On 29/12/2022 at 15:45, Warwagon said:

I already ordered the parts for this one. I had a mini PC once and it sounded like a leaf blower when it worked hard. It was so annoying.

LOL, I hear you. Let's see how mine sound once I put it up to some tasks. This particular one seems pretty powerful, though.

BTW, I just added the link to the one I purchased on my post above. I had forgotten.

On 29/12/2022 at 14:48, Elі said:

LOL, I hear you. Let's see how mines sound once I put it up to some tasks. This particular one seems pretty powerful though.

Which one was it? It didn’t show up in the post above 

On 29/12/2022 at 15:48, Warwagon said:

Which one was it? It didn’t show up in the post above 

Just added the link. Sorry.

Most of the parts arrived yesterday, the power supply and motherboard will arrive today. Graphics card might be here tomorrow or Saturday. 

In the process of cleaning the case i'm going to be using as it hasn't been used in a while

In the meantime, I might throw my old GTX 770 in there just to get it up going so I can start installing stuff

Also removed the front door on the case for better airflow.

image.thumb.png.a5f00d2948bb0ce08209d11eaac11ff8.png

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 11:59, Warwagon said:

Most of the parts arrived yesterday, the power supply and motherboard will arrive today. Graphics card might be here tomorrow or Saturday. 

In the process of cleaning the case i'm going to be using as it hasn't been used in a while

In the meantime, I might throw my old GTX 770 in there just to get it up going so I can start installing stuff

Also removed the front door on the case for better airflow.

image.thumb.png.a5f00d2948bb0ce08209d11eaac11ff8.png

Case looks horrible for airflow....

• Like 1

i dont know if you have the budget, but i will grab a new case too. After the winter has passed that is. This will keep you warm till then. :D

Edited by hellowalkman
typo

new build looks solid and for a decent price even (Y) 

and I'd like to beg to differ on the PSU comment. 750 watt I'd say is a good minimum with knowing how the RTX 3000 series tends to have power spikes.

The PC looks great...

But I gotta know about the QR Code on your wall!

😎

On 05/01/2023 at 12:14, Warwagon said:

Air intake on the top and front.

image.thumb.png.b506d5d055f7cf31207d80d2664c2c4d.png

Where on front?  Air isn't getting through this...

1261887949_Screenshot2023-01-05165332.jpg.4908152a832a74ef07d99bd7dc9ab167.jpg

....anyway...watch those temps.

On 29/12/2022 at 10:32, sinetheo said:

In my experience io not CPU cores is the bottleneck in my hyper-v lab. Even my older 8 core 9900k launches several server vms instantly.

I would go Intel for 3 reasons. 1. Pci express 4 nvme support 2. Better ipc 3. Cheaper motherboards.

That 5900x will burn capacitors at over 100c easily and ruin the life of the board unless under clocked. Also less cores with alder and raptor lake have met and beat benchmarks against amd and 670x boards are outrageously expensive which can handle the big CPUs.

I would go 13600k on a mid range board. Intel has more value this time around. The 13600k is 20 cores and will use less power with 4 ecores. IO bandwidth with a gen 4 pci express will better able to run your vms and huge adobe premiere files with ease at 7 gbs transfer rates.

It's 14 cores 20 threads vs 12 cores 24 threads on AMD. I prefer slightly more real cores over less threads.

Whew where to start...

PCIe 4 is on both and has been that way for multiple generations first of all.  My searchfu might be weak as I could not find any widespread capacitor issues in general let alone specifically for a 5900x.  You are correct about a small ipc benefit going with Intel in this comparison, as the 5900x came out years ago.  Passmark and editing software seems to favor the 5900x over the 13600K.  Passmark is a decent indicator of simultaneous video transcode capability which is why I even bring it up - every 2K should equate roughly to one transcode using software.

Graphics card is out for delivery today, but I assembled the system last night.

image.thumb.png.84990c588798576e75da5f1b2833bb71.png

I threw in my GTX 770 and slapped a version of windows 11 on quick to do some benchmarking and temps. With 7 passes on Cinebench the Max temp was 154.9F

On 06/01/2023 at 10:47, hellowalkman said:

how stable is your RAM XMP at 4000?

Stable how? All I can say is nothing BSOD'ed .

• Like 1

So here is how last night's build went. I put it together and on the first post was getting a white CPU light. I researched online and flashed the newest bios using the flashback bios method. That flashed without issue, but it still wouldn't post.

So, then I ended up removing the cooler to reseat the CPU. In the process I somehow managed to get thermal paste on 3 of the CPU pins.

Luckly a few months ago I had purchased a microscope for working on microscopic components of electronics and it saved my bacon. Got all the thermal paste cleaned off but I still got the CPU light.

Then I put it on my bench, out of the case with a different power supply and it came to life. Finally, I put it back in the case and moved the modular CPU cable from next to the 24-pin to the 2nd row where it was also labeled CPU. This time it worked without issue!

*Hugs* Microscope *Hugs

*image.jpeg

image.thumb.png.ca3da634af1cd1ec9a1522ae76fa8b89.png

image.png.9aae3625977c18ceba8a5456acdef6c1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One day I'll retire my GTX770 too, lol. The thing just won't die, and neither will the rest of the build (Haswell i5 CPU). If it was power efficient by today's standards, I wouldn't mind using it more. Nice build - jealous. For my next build (whenever that will be), I want a lower TDP CPU & low/mid-tier GPU

On 06/01/2023 at 11:26, Warwagon said:

Graphics card is out for delivery today, but I assembled the system last night.

image.thumb.png.84990c588798576e75da5f1b2833bb71.png

I threw in my GTX 770 and slapped a version of windows 11 on quick to do some benchmarking and temps. With 7 passes on Cinebench the Max temp was 154.9F

Looking great @Warwagon. Looks like you've built yourself a great machine.

At the end, I didn't purchase that MiniPC I mentioned earlier. There was a very long delay to get it delivered. So I cancelled the delivery and got this one by MinisForum:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0BLW5NL5L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 07:04, Elі said:

Looking great @Warwagon. Looks like you've built yourself a great machine.

At the end, I didn't purchase that MiniPC I mentioned earlier. There was a very long delay to get it delivered. So I cancelled the delivery and got this one by MinisForum:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0BLW5NL5L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ever since buying my Powerful i7-4770R Brix Pro

This little i7 4770R Gigabyte Brix Pro was one of the best PCs I ever had |  ResetEra

never again am I buying a little powerful mini PC. Hopefully yours is quiet.

My Old Brix Pro audio

• Haha 1