[POLL] Who makes the best motherboard in 2023?

Who is the best motherboard manufacturer in 2023?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite motherboard manufacturer?

• Advantech
    • ASRock
    • ASUS
    • Biostar
    • Colorful
    • ECS (Elite Group)
    • EVGA
    • Foxconn
    • Fujitsu
    • Gigabyte
    • Intel (includes NUCs)
    • Maxsun
    • MiTAC
    • MSI
    • NZXT
    • Raptor Computing
    • Soyo
    • Supermicro
    • Trenton Systems
    • Tyan
    • Zotac
    • Other (specify below)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/24 at 07:59

Hello,

This year, we are introducing a poll of the best motherboard manufacturers for AMD, IBM, and Intel processors.  Some of these companies sell complete pre-built systems as well as motherboards, but have a significant presence in the motherboard market.  Companies whose main focus is pre-built systems (i.e., Apple, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, etc.) are not included.  This poll is meant to cover only motherboards as used by Neowin's members to build their own systems. 

We have included some manufacturers which are regional as well as those that specialize in commercial motherboards, as Neowin's membership is global and some of you build systems for business as well as home use.

This poll is multiple choice, in case you have more than one favorite.  Feel free to share favorite motherboard model(s) as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

ASUS and Gigabyte has been my top 2 for ages. SuperMicro is superb for server computers.

• Like 3

ASUS

while I have used computers at home since 1995, I have only built two so far. one in March 2006 and the other May 2012 and both are ASUS boards...

-ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I built this in March 2006 (it's basically high end 2005 tech).

-ASUS P8H61-M LX Plus (Rev 3.0). I built this in May 2012 but used the same case from my initial build above as I just swapped out the motherboard/CPU/RAM.

both are also my Top 2 spots for longest used main PC as my current one is 10 years and 8 months old and counting and my previous record was that A8N32-SLI board at 6 years and 2 months (it's currently my backup PC as I put that A8N32-SLI board in a computer case I got in 2001 (which was a Alienware PC with a 1.2GHz Athlon etc) and I replaced most of the capacitors on it (well all of the 6.3v 820uF type which is the vast majority of the caps) in June 2021)).

the onboard sound died in the year 2020 on my current main PC but thankfully that was easily restored by getting one of those cheap (about $10-20) USB sound cards with a 3.5mm jack and then I just disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS.

I am not sure when ill get around to building another computer but I don't see myself dumping my current setup for years to come. so short of the motherboard dying and the like, ill probably be using my current setup for the foreseeable future. hopefully I won't have to upgrade my GPU anytime soon as if I do, that 'might' be enough for me to just build another computer (because I know my current CPU and general setup can still benefit from a better GPU than what I have, which is a 1050 Ti 4GB, but I guess it just boils down to how much of a problem that CPU will be in the coming years if it's only a minimal hit to performance or not as if it's a rather solid difference then at that point I am better off just building another computer), but I suspect even when I do build another ill probably try to use what I can from my current setup (like say SSD/HDD's/monitor/mouse/keyboard etc) to keep costs down. all-in-all, my guess is ill probably be using my current setup until at least 2025-2027 time frame, possibly later (I think it's plausible, assuming it's still working, that I could be using it until about 2029), especially if it continues to work and no new games I really want to play come out that don't work well enough on my current setup. but there is likely very little coming that I would want to play enough to even consider a upgrade etc.

I voted ASUS even though my current board is a Gigabyte Z390 Pro WiFi. I've had more problems with this board than any ASUS before it, mostly power related on the USB ports.

When I upgrade I hope I can go back to ASUS.

Another vote for ASUS.

All the computers I've built over the years have used ASUS motherboards.

Hell... I had a friend in the mid-90's when we were in high school who insisted on ASUS motherboards.

Hello,

As mentioned in the introductory post, companies whose primary business is delivering pre-built systems are not a part of this survey:
image.png.103bd2a58078906919ba1b43635bc846.png

As a vendor of pre-built systems, Apple is not included in this survey.  It is certainly possible that Neowin might do a "best pre-built" poll in the future, though, in which case Apple would likely be listed in that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 02/01/2023 at 04:08, TarasBuria said:

Where's Apple? :)

On 02/01/2023 at 07:08, TarasBuria said:

Where's Apple? :)

Apple? mahaha... their motherboards have so many flaws, design issues, and even the slightest humidity causes corrosion issues so bad it can destroy itself.... just ask Louis Rossman or Paul Daniels :laugh:

• Like 2

Are we meant to be able to scroll through the Poll choices? As that is not possible on both my Android browsers on mobile and tablet.

Surely we should have all Poll choices visible without having to faff around?

Edit

If I'm logged out all poll results are displayed but if I'm logged in I get a small box with only 6 visible choices and a scrollbar, sometimes it'll scroll but most of the time it's frozen.

Screenshot_20230103_151638_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

Edited by SnoopZ

On 03/01/2023 at 09:09, SnoopZ said:

Are we meant to be able to scroll through the Poll choices? As that is not possible on both my Android browsers on mobile and tablet.

Surely we should have all Poll choices visible without having to faff around?

Edit

If I'm logged out all poll results are displayed but if I'm logged in I get a small box with only 6 visible choices and a scrollbar, sometimes it'll scroll but most of the time it's frozen.

Screenshot_20230103_151638_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

it's a CSS bug in the latest IPB forum update. i noticed it yesterday and reported it as well so it'll get looked at when our dev gets a moment :)

• Like 2

I have pretty much always used either ASUS or Gigabyte over the last 20 years, so voted for both as the poll allowed that.

The only ASUS motherboard I actually recall failing in one of my builds is the P5N-E SLI, that lasted approx. two and a half years.

On the flipside I have actually just upgraded my parents HTPC this Christmas, that had a Core2Duo era ASUS motherboard which was approx. 15 years old. Over the last few months that had trouble posting and resuming from sleep to record tv. I'd say that is a pretty good testament to ASUS the motherboard lasted 15 years with daily use.

• Like 3

I built my computer back around 2015 using an ASUS  P8H61-I motherboard, running Windows 7.
Except for rebooting when doing a system restore from a Macrium backup, my computer runs 24 hours a day.
Unless the board itself dies on me, I don't have any plans to build another computer.

• goretsky unpinned this topic