Bluetooth randomly stops working

Hi all, I have moved to PC gaming this last week and I have a xbox one controller connected to my PC via bluetooth, it works until the bluetooth randomly disappears.  when I remove drivers and re-install it works fine another day or two then mid-gaming, my controller disconnects and the rgb on my keyboard and mouse flashes to say it has disconnected and been reconnected. 

Wifi is built into the motherboard so no add-in cards or usb bluetooth.  Windows is up to date

MB - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

OS  - W11 22H2 

I had similar problems with a bluetooth speaker. It would keep shorting out during a YT vid, for example. Or, you know, whenever it wants.

Does your XBOX controller have enough battery life?

I only use USB XBOX  One controllers, so I'm unsure here..

On 28/12/2022 at 16:15, Mindovermaster said:

I had similar problems with a bluetooth speaker. It would keep shorting out during a YT vid, for example. Or, you know, whenever it wants.

Does your XBOX controller have enough battery life?

I only use USB XBOX  One controllers, so I'm unsure here..

Fully charged, but it is something to do with the bluetooth on the MB - as that is the only issue. Would ideally like to avoid a fresh install https://ibb.co/Gn087Nh - just for reference I have removed the intel driver and software for bluetooth and on reboot this is all I have, nothing is plugged into the PC except for keyboard and mouse

On 28/12/2022 at 11:23, sikhwarrior said:

but it is something to do with the bluetooth on the MB

Not to be mean, but how do you know? Could be the controller itself..

But, umm, I've heard a LOT of Win 11 problems, maybe this is one of them? Maybe someone else can shed light on this?

On 28/12/2022 at 17:30, Mindovermaster said:

Not to be mean, but how do you know? Could be the controller itself..

But, umm, I've heard a LOT of Win 11 problems, maybe this is one of them? Maybe someone else can shed light on this?

tried with two different controllers both over bluetooth. inside windows I try and get windows to add another bluetooth device and it says I don't have bluetooth installed... so I am pointing at windows 11 + drivers as the problem. Controllers have no issue on a W11 21H2 build  

since you do not specify the bluetooth model, I can only proceed from the information that can be read in the motherboard manual

guess your 

Wireless & Bluetooth is named Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200
Chipset AMD B550 Chipset

This download consists of three types of files:

All files: This file includes all zip files for both Drivers only and Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software package (includes drivers) in this download. 
 WiFi-22.190.0-all.zip

Drivers only: This is a compressed package that includes all files required to install the wireless adapter drivers only. The zip package allows you to extract the drivers for installation on multiple systems.

Windows® 10 32-bit: WiFi-22.160.0-Driver32-Win10.zip
Windows® 10 64-bit/ Windows 11®: WiFi-22.190.0-Driver64-Win10-Win11.zip
Windows 8.1* 32-bit: WiFi-21.40.5-Driver32-Win8.1.zip
Windows 8.1* 64-bit: WiFi-21.40.5-Driver64-Win8.1.zip
Windows 7* 32-bit: WiFi-21.40.5-Driver32-Win7.zip
Windows 7* 64-bit: WiFi-21.40.5-Driver64-Win7.zip

Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes drivers): This is a compressed package that includes all files required to install the wireless adapter drivers and Intel PROSet/Wireless Software. The ZIP package allows you to extract the drivers and software for customized or silent installation on multiple systems.

Windows 8.1* and Windows 7* 32-Bit: WiFi-21.40.5-PROSet32.zip
Windows 8.1* and Windows 7* 64-Bit: WiFi-21.40.5-PROSet64.zip

IT Administrator Links for Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017246/wireless.html

IT Administrator Links for Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Software
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005773/wireless.html

Supported Adapters

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX211
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX210
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX203
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX1011
Intel® Wireless-AC 9560
Intel® Wireless-AC 9462
Intel® Wireless-AC 9461
Intel® Wireless-AC 9260
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Intel® Wireless 7265 (Rev D) Family
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/189347/intel-wifi-6-ax200-gig/downloads.html

Edited by Christopher Andreason
  • Like 1

Think it has something to do with Intel and their shoddy drivers... I have the AX210 6E pci-e wireless card and its constantly doing this even with the new 22.190.0 driver... I would say go for another bluetooth dongle thats not Intel. 

So bluetooth and windows has ALWAYS been a problem, especially with the Xbox controller. On my SL3 and SPX, the bluetooth will drop my controller randomly. On my gaming PC with bluetooth built into the mobo (forgetting chipset manufacturer right now), the bluetooth is better because I have an external antenna for it but its still trash and drops. Whats funny is, the same xbox controller works great on my switch AND my steam deck. Its definitely Windows awful driver support + ###### poor chipsets. 

I have tried other Bluetooth adapters (both USB and PCIe) and I still face the same issues. I truly think its a windows issue but I dont see anything in event viewer (its useless anyway but I figured I would try) and I haven't used windows seriously for over a decade so I dont care to learn how to troubleshoot the issue deeper.

I couldnt test the controller's reliability in Linux on the USB or PCIe adapters because i dont have a cloud gaming subscription AND I didnt want to go through the hassle of installing Linux, Proton and all that on my gaming machine just to test this. As far as I'm concerned, it working flawlessly on the steam deck is enough to prove its not a Linux issue and more likely a Windows issue.

But this issue doesnt bother me because I prefer using the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows since it guarantees no delay and works flawlessly between Windows and Linux. I would recommend you pick one up so you dont have to deal with this headache anymore.

On 01/01/2023 at 02:17, Sikh said:

So bluetooth and windows has ALWAYS been a problem, especially with the Xbox controller. On my SL3 and SPX, the bluetooth will drop my controller randomly. On my gaming PC with bluetooth built into the mobo (forgetting chipset manufacturer right now), the bluetooth is better because I have an external antenna for it but its still trash and drops. Whats funny is, the same xbox controller works great on my switch AND my steam deck. Its definitely Windows awful driver support + ###### poor chipsets. 

I have tried other Bluetooth adapters (both USB and PCIe) and I still face the same issues. I truly think its a windows issue but I dont see anything in event viewer (its useless anyway but I figured I would try) and I haven't used windows seriously for over a decade so I dont care to learn how to troubleshoot the issue deeper.

I couldnt test the controller's reliability in Linux on the USB or PCIe adapters because i dont have a cloud gaming subscription AND I didnt want to go through the hassle of installing Linux, Proton and all that on my gaming machine just to test this. As far as I'm concerned, it working flawlessly on the steam deck is enough to prove its not a Linux issue and more likely a Windows issue.

But this issue doesnt bother me because I prefer using the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows since it guarantees no delay and works flawlessly between Windows and Linux. I would recommend you pick one up so you dont have to deal with this headache anymore.

I agree with get the official adapter but you linked to an Android Adapter.

On 01/01/2023 at 08:38, SnoopZ said:

I agree with get the official adapter but you linked to an Android Adapter.

I think its something on your end. I just clicked on the link in the post and was taken to "Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows (Bulk Packaging)" page. Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/mT75A0T

On 01/01/2023 at 16:00, sikhwarrior said:

I wiped my PC and installed windows 10 no issues at all even with the latest drivers, so a part of me thinks that between windows 11 and the intel drivers, there are issues. 

I definitely wouldn't trust windows 11 right now with anything, especially gaming. I'm also surprised that something that works "fine" on windows 10 has issues on windows 11.

I hope your experience on Windows 10 Bluetooth and Xbox Controller are much better than mine but I still recommend you pick up an adapter before they are hard to find. Microsoft got rid of the individual ones and only bundle it with a controller now specifically for "PC"

I had this issue after I upgraded to Windows 11, I had to do a factory reset, and that fixed it for me. Have you tried running the Bluetooth trouble shooter in System > Troubleshoot > Other trouble-shooters?

On 02/01/2023 at 21:57, Neowinian said:

I had this issue after I upgraded to Windows 11, I had to do a factory reset, and that fixed it for me. Have you tried running the Bluetooth trouble shooter in System > Troubleshoot > Other trouble-shooters?

one of the first things I tried, no luck. Going back to windows 10 is working a lot better now no issues, so definitely windows 11 and driver issues