Microsoft Account: Yes or No? (and why?)

Hi,

i admit that i'm an old school windows user and i never understand because microsoft force to use a MS Account. (i know they try to monetize your data...)

At the moment i don't use an account, and if i will use Windows 11 i will stay on Local Account.

But what are you opinion?

Thanks very much

I've got a Microsoft account attached to my computer. I'm not sure that I could provide a single advantage to having done so, though. I've had a hotmail account for 24 years, so when I was setting up the computer and it asked me to sign in I did. *shrug*

Didn't you kinda already ask this in another thread?

I use an MS account because... why not?  Doesn't mean I need it to be tied to anything else, and it's the preferred way to log into Windows.  The more you try and fight against it - the more work you'll  create for yourself.

Definitely use a Microsoft Account for ease and extra security. I recommend setting up a specific outlook.com email address purely for managing your Windows devices.

How much you share with it is easily decided. Perhaps you have your own email address linked to a Microsoft 365 account so would sign into OneDrive and office apps using that address within the main user profile on your computer(s) but there are numerous benefits of synchronising apps and media purchases from Microsoft Store, privacy choices, Windows Security and Windows Defender controls and Edge favourite websites and history. Even device backups are possible now too. A Microsoft Account simplifies so much.

Why wouldn't you?

A Microsoft Account is a requirement for setting up a Windows 11 Home machine. Just think before you click.

#SeeTechMoreClearly

• Like 3

I use a Microsoft account Windows login for online, etc., but NOT as an Administrator, it is setup as a Standard User. I have a separate Local account for Administrator use.

I find that using the MSA while online often simplifies things, logins, apps, etc. within the Microsoft eco-system. But of course, they do that so you WILL use a MSA while online.

I don't have a Microsoft account, I don't see what benefits I get from having one.

- I give up a lot of extra data to Microsoft

- I only use Windows on my home systems with this ID, where I can just use local accounts hosted on my server

- My copy of Office (legal) and all my Windows installs (legal) were bought from brick and mortar stores, so I have no reason attach an MS account to their activation.

I've got way two many PC's but only use a MS account on 2, a laptop I use when I go on vacation (not work related just work with any pictures and watch streaming) , makes it easier to deal with encryption on it and locking it, and the other is on my insider desktop.  Everything else nope don't use any MS services on them so not really needed or wanted.