Edge now putting icons on the desktop at update

In windows 10 I've now noticed that Edge will put an icon on the desktop out of no where after an update (last update that did this was 109).0.1518.55... 

anyone else see this? I also noticed Google is doing this randomly with Google Earth Pro too when it does an update.... so annoying

• Like 3

I've noticed several programs do this (Google Earth, Adobe Acrobat and now Edge).  Can't really say it bothers me though...I just drag it to the recycle bin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/01/2023 at 16:45, Jim K said:

I've noticed several programs do this (Google Earth, Adobe Acrobat and now Edge).  Can't really say it bothers me though...I just drag it to the recycle bin.

Just annoying, don't know what possesses them to suddenly do this, they feel the start menu isn't putting them front and center enough now?

On 17/01/2023 at 14:41, neufuse said:

In windows 10 I've now noticed that Edge will put an icon on the desktop out of no where after an update (last update that did this was 109).0.1518.55... anyone else see this? 

I noticed it a day or two ago. Thought it was odd, deleted it, and moved on. Then it turned up again (perhaps on another machine?), so deleted it again. Another nag from MS?

A major "project" I'm working on won't need the internet on that one PC, so I'll just uninstall Edge and all other net-related stuff from that machine.  

On 17/01/2023 at 16:55, nerim said:

I noticed it a day or two ago. Thought it was odd, deleted it, and moved on. Then it turned up again (perhaps on another machine?), so deleted it again. Another nag from MS?

A major "project" I'm working on won't need the internet on that one PC, so I'll just uninstall Edge and all other net-related stuff from that machine.  

It's reappeared one one system 3 times now after deleting it, usually after another update applies... I got it again after this months CU, then again after the Edge 109 update

On 18/01/2023 at 08:47, neufuse said:

Just annoying, don't know what possesses them to suddenly do this, they feel the start menu isn't putting them front and center enough now?

Then uninstall Edge as I have done. It isn't difficult and doesn't harm the system at all. Then you can stop complaining about the Edge virus and Microsoft who are user hostile in not respecting user browser preference. 

Just flush the Edge virus.

Edited by foolsfolly

On 17/01/2023 at 17:45, foolsfolly said:

Then uninstall Edge as I have done. It isn't difficult and doesn't harm the system at all. Then you can stop complaining about the Edge virus and Microsoft who are user hostile in not respecting user browser preference. 

Just flush the Edge virus.

that's great and all but some of us have to use edge for testing also.. maybe MS could stop playing games like the OOBE random startup trying to force you to use edge every so often too on boot?

I've noticed Edge has done this recently on a couple of machines, I deleted the shortcut and I don't think it has come back yet.

Adobe Acrobat has been doing this for years and seems to require admin rights to delete that shortcut, that one does annoy me a bit as some people will ask me to delete it for them.

On 18/01/2023 at 02:52, neufuse said:

that's great and all but some of us have to use edge for testing also.. maybe MS could stop playing games like the OOBE random startup trying to force you to use edge every so often too on boot?

I must admit I switched to Edge from Chrome, however the all that and the random price comparison bloat / side menus are starting to get a bit much. Same with the search results in the start menu, I can't help but feel Microsoft getting a bit too much like Google in exploiting their userbase.

This sorta reminds me of the windows 98 days when literally every program wanted to be in start menu, desktop, and quick launch bar! Yes it's annoying, and it's troubling that Microsoft thinks that Bing rewards belongs in the "pro" skus, since their often used by small business. 

I'm also not big fan of the "restore required" warning in Settings just because i'm not using bing as a search engine.

I like edge, and Windows, but Microsoft are trying their hardest to change that. 

image.png.1befe3e62e7a311cadd4230bfeff293b.png

The good news is most of the rubbish is pretty easy to turn off

• Like 2

On 17/01/2023 at 16:41, neufuse said:

In windows 10 I've now noticed that Edge will put an icon on the desktop out of no where after an update (last update that did this was 109).0.1518.55... 

anyone else see this? I also noticed Google is doing this randomly with Google Earth Pro too when it does an update.... so annoying

I was wondering about that. Only noticed it on 1 computer that I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, so thought it was part of the install, but just got on wife's computer and there's the icon!

On 17/01/2023 at 14:41, neufuse said:

Yeah, it updated mine when I was in Windows 10 and put the shortcut on the Desktop.  Not a big fan of Desktop icons frankly.

I have desktop icons hidden but I just checked and quite a number of programs have put a shortcut onto the desktop. Both Edge and Firefox have got a shortcut there and I'd be surprised if other browsers didn't.

On 18/01/2023 at 05:15, cooky560 said:

The good news is most of the rubbish is pretty easy to turn off

Yes, and I do that regularly as well. But MS gets a bit desperate on occasion, methinks. I have to go into Settings once in a while to check that my "choices/selections" haven't been altered. 😉

I love Edge... but I cannot stand how sometimes when they update the browser, they feel compelled to try and reset your browser settings to default or "suggested", which means getting Bing back.

What's worse is when Windows updated the other day, I proceeded to get a prompt once again about Edge, how I should buy Office (even though I have a license from work), along with some OneDrive storage push before I can finally get back to my Windows profile. It's obnoxious, and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to try things like Edge if they keep doing this nonsense.

• Like 3

I love Edge too, but they keep adding strange "features" and resetting my personal settings. I used to use Firefox most of the time, but that all changed when Edge Chromium came along. 

I loved the chromium based Edge when they first released it but as others have mentioned they seem hard pressed to just keep adding more and more bloat to it now that NO ONE has asked for.

I was on it for a good while since released but all this bloat in combination with all the V3 extension manifest BS going on (though admittedly that has now been delayed) I ended up switching back to Firefox at home for the first time in nearly a decade. I still use Brave at work and on my phone but don't expect me to touch Edge or vanilla Chrome much anymore.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2023 at 13:15, Brandon H said:

I loved the chromium based Edge when they first released it but as others have mentioned they seem hard pressed to just keep adding more and more bloat to it now that NO ONE has asked for.

Yep!  

I should just create a rule on my network that redirects all bing requests to my search engine of  choice, and have no reason to worry about what edge does 😛

On 19/01/2023 at 13:03, dead.cell said:

I love Edge... but I cannot stand how sometimes when they update the browser, they feel compelled to try and reset your browser settings to default or "suggested", which means getting Bing back.

What's worse is when Windows updated the other day, I proceeded to get a prompt once again about Edge, how I should buy Office (even though I have a license from work), along with some OneDrive storage push before I can finally get back to my Windows profile. It's obnoxious, and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to try things like Edge if they keep doing this nonsense.

I had the same thing happen to me after an update, and then I had to go through a mini first-setup screen where they again tried to push me to reset all defaults to Edge (including opening PDF files, despite the fact that I have a PDF editor installed), sign up for Office (I also have it through work), and get some more OneDrive space for safe measure (I already have 200 GB, which is more than enough).  Then when Edge updates it's this whole 12 screen walkthrough wizard you need to endure so see all the features of the browser that I likely will never use.  Then you get this survey question about whether I would recommend Windows to a friend.  For one, I don't recommend operating systems to friends because no one really gets a choice in their operating system that they would need a 'recommendation'.  I guess if OEMs like Dell and HP were my friends I could honestly answer 'NO' I would not recommend Windows to them.

On 18/01/2023 at 04:08, InsaneNutter said:

Adobe Acrobat has been doing this for years and seems to require admin rights to delete that shortcut, that one does annoy me a bit as some people will ask me to delete it for them

Wait... People need to come to you for help because you have admin rights on their computer and they don't? LOL

On 18/01/2023 at 13:55, DonC said:

I have desktop icons hidden but I just checked and quite a number of programs have put a shortcut onto the desktop. Both Edge and Firefox have got a shortcut there and I'd be surprised if other browsers didn't.

Firefox puts a icon on the desktop if you don't uncheck that option during install (offline installer) but it doesn't put the icon back when it updates.

What seems ridiculous and ties in the bloat added is the size of Edge on the hard drive! Granted, space is cheap nowadays, but compared to say Firefox or another chromium browser, Opera,the Edge folder is huuuge...Why do we have to have sevearal instances of the same file in different folders.

I seem to have a the Program Files (x86) Microsoft/ (Edge/EdgeCore/EdgeUpdate/EdgeWebView/Temp) taking up 1.62GB of space, not including the AppData folder which has nearly 500MB.

3 the same versions of msedge_pwa-Launcher.exe, 3 of msedgewebview2.exe, 3 or even 4 of  nearly everything...why 🤬

Opera has 1 old verion to roll back to if anything fails and even with that is a third of the size, just because we have the space doesn`t mean you can take the hit and ######.

This is aswell as shoving a shortcut on the desktop randomly!

On 24/01/2023 at 14:51, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Wait... People need to come to you for help because you have admin rights on their computer and they don't? LOL

Totally normal in a business environment, no one outside of I.T. requires admin rights to do their job.

On 24/01/2023 at 10:39, InsaneNutter said:

Totally normal in a business environment, no one outside of I.T. requires admin rights to do their job.

I am very aware how things work in a business environment as I work in IT but none of that context was mentioned in your comment. it sounded like friends and family were asking you for computer help.

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot