Favourite programming language?

Question

C# First, It may not be as easy as python, but you won't die by a thousand cuts. Also, you can use it everywhere from back-end to embedded. 

Powershell second, see the first one

Typescript third

Python fourth 

• Like 3

C, you can do anything but that does not mean you should do it.

Then C++ after that, just because is C... with classes.

I prefer C myself, but C++ is a close second.  I do embedded design on Renesas and ARM Cortex microprocessors, and C is a nice language for those.

I was bombarded with Java classes in my college years and hated it with a passion.  I'm glad to never have to deal with it in my professional career.

• Like 1

For me it goes C++, Swift, and PHP, but I may be changing from PHP to ASP.Net Core soon...

Absolutely hate x86/x86_64 assembly.

On 27/01/2023 at 22:11, Astra.Xtreme said:

I prefer C myself, but C++ is a close second.  I do embedded design on Renesas and ARM Cortex microprocessors, and C is a nice language for those.

I was bombarded with Java classes in my college years and hated it with a passion.  I'm glad to never have to deal with it in my professional career.

I’m surprised you hate Java. It’s surely easier than C++ from my experience. Less to learn.

Why hate Java? It was the first programming language I studied, so it’ll always hold a special place in my heart... as that is how I learnt OOP !

On 27/01/2023 at 20:50, Arceles said:

C, you can do anything but that does not mean you should do it.

Then C++ after that, just because is C... with classes.

Oh gosh! Yeah, I studied it at university where obviously it’s all about proving you KNOW concepts and somehow use them all... so I have NO IDEA about best practices and all that... since I’ve never used them in a commercial environment.

On 30/01/2023 at 07:02, Software Dev Expert said:

I’m surprised you hate Java. It’s surely easier than C++ from my experience. Less to learn.

Why hate Java? It was the first programming language I studied, so it’ll always hold a special place in my heart... as that is how I learnt OOP !

Java isn't necessarily hard, but it's bulky and slow.  It's popularity has been in decline for that reason.  Depending on the application, I think Python, .NET, or C++ are better options.

Overall, I wasn't super interested in object-oriented languages.  But if I had to pick one, I'd go with C++.

• Like 2

On 30/01/2023 at 17:00, Astra.Xtreme said:

Java isn't necessarily hard, but it's bulky and slow.  It's popularity has been in decline for that reason.  Depending on the application, I think Python, .NET, or C++ are better options.

Overall, I wasn't super interested in object-oriented languages.  But if I had to pick one, I'd go with C++.

So many devs rave over the slowness of PHP loops, I once had to loop over billions of items and it wasn’t as bad as you’d expect ! 

I hear devs raving about how bad Java is with garbage collection though... leading to memory leaks and all that. Never experienced such myself though

C#.  I dabbled with C# 1.0 betas before dropping it then spent 3-5 years working with each of: C, PHP, Objective-C, Swift, Ruby... but since the release of .NET Core I've pretty much exclusively used C#/.NET and really like the language. If I had to rank the ones I've worked with extensively in order of favourites it would be:

1. C#
  2. Ruby
  3. Swift
  4. C
  5. PHP
  6. Objective-C

If we're adding scripting languages mIRC scripting will always be special to me for nostalgic reasons, messing around with mIRC scripting in MSN chatrooms was good times and what got me into programming in the first place. Honourable mention for AHKScript being the least favourite / most frustrating scripting language I've used :laugh:

On 30/01/2023 at 21:45, Dick Montage said:

Does PowerShell count as a "programming" language?  If so:

C#

PowerShell

PHP

I mean, I love working in T-SQL also, but that absolutely doesn't count, right?

Not intended but i suppose haha!! 

SQL counts for sure yeah :) It is technically a language as you can write functions and stored procedures 

But it’s not ALWAYS programmed, sometimes just queried ;)

On 30/01/2023 at 22:22, ZakO said:

C#.  I dabbled with C# 1.0 betas before dropping it then spent 3-5 years working with each of: C, PHP, Objective-C, Swift, Ruby... but since the release of .NET Core I've pretty much exclusively used C#/.NET and really like the language. If I had to rank the ones I've worked with extensively in order of favourites it would be:

1. C#
  2. Ruby
  3. Swift
  4. C
  5. PHP
  6. Objective-C

If we're adding scripting languages mIRC scripting will always be special to me for nostalgic reasons, messing around with mIRC scripting in MSN chatrooms was good times and what got me into programming in the first place. Honourable mention for AHKScript being the least favourite / most frustrating scripting language I've used :laugh:

I’m starting to use C# .Net at work now, all new to me !

• Like 1

1. C#

2. Swift (Xcode can use some updating though)

3. PHP

4. C/C++

I am not a fan of Java either. While it has improved on some items like garbage collection over the years, the fact that you need to purchase your certs for publishing and self-signing is a pain/worthless make the language a no-go. C# and Kotlin are much better alternatives.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2023 at 02:52, Jester124 said:

1. C#

2. Swift (Xcode can use some updating though)

3. PHP

4. C/C++

I am not a fan of Java either. While it has improved on some items like garbage collection over the years, the fact that you need to purchase your certs for publishing and self-signing is a pain/worthless make the language a no-go. C# and Kotlin are much better alternatives.

Ah, regarding your mention of certs, are you suggesting you’re a self employed programmer?

F#

Always liked C#, especially since the introduction of Linq. Using F# feels like applying the same principles to the whole language. C# obviously has been going in that direction for a while but can't really get there all the way without ceasing to be C#.

On 31/01/2023 at 04:11, Software Dev Expert said:

Ah, regarding your mention of certs, are you suggesting you’re a self employed programmer?

Not any more as I have changed careers to a CyberSec path. When I was freelancing and Java 8 was released with mandated Oracle signed certs, I could no longer easily build and share apps.

I see Java as more of a mock-up language now. Great to build something quick and dirty to show a concept, but then build the final project in a better language. With all of the other options for multi-platform compatibility, Java's overhead and need for licensing just is not worth it in my opinion.

So this afternoon I started a task: To write an Azure Function App in a few different languages:

PowerShell Core
C#
Node.JS
Python

I've not had reason to use C# in quite a while and it’s moved forward quite a bit.

PowerShell (beyond T-SQL) is my most frequently used language these days. I found it on par with C# for my use here, maybe a little more elegant, but only marginally.

Node.JS I had never used before. Quite like it, it feels streamlined, efficient.

Python… what the actual hell is this? The syntax considering layout, it just feels awkward. People like this?

• Like 2

On 31/01/2023 at 19:18, Dick Montage said:

Python… what the actual hell is this? The syntax considering layout, it just feels awkward. People like this?

I'm actually in the process of creating a clone of mracko/MSFS-Mobile-Companion-App in Asp.Net Core, just getting my head around the single file design is baffling alone...  

• Like 1

On 31/01/2023 at 14:25, ParadiseLost said:

F#

Always liked C#, especially since the introduction of Linq. Using F# feels like applying the same principles to the whole language. C# obviously has been going in that direction for a while but can't really get there all the way without ceasing to be C#.

Do you mean F#? Are we playing musical notes here? :)

On 31/01/2023 at 23:44, Jester124 said:

Not any more as I have changed careers to a CyberSec path. When I was freelancing and Java 8 was released with mandated Oracle signed certs, I could no longer easily build and share apps.

I see Java as more of a mock-up language now. Great to build something quick and dirty to show a concept, but then build the final project in a better language. With all of the other options for multi-platform compatibility, Java's overhead and need for licensing just is not worth it in my opinion.

Fair enough, I know nothing about self-signing. All I know is that getting iOS apps signed off is a headache from research although I’ve never developed such myself.

I’ve built a Java desktop GUI app, and developed for Android using Android Studio. I’d call Android Studio user friendly.

I also used the Java Spring framework back at university for web backend work. The configuration required was annoying in comparison to other backend frameworks. Other frameworks are plug and play whereas the spring framework required more understanding of certain concepts and config especially as a beginner was time consuming.

On 01/02/2023 at 00:25, Matthew S. said:

I'm actually in the process of creating a clone of mracko/MSFS-Mobile-Companion-App in Asp.Net Core, just getting my head around the single file design is baffling alone...  

Woah, in Python?

Modern development typically uses C# with .Net. In the past however VB was primarily used for .Net.

On 01/02/2023 at 00:18, Dick Montage said:

So this afternoon I started a task: To write an Azure Function App in a few different languages:

PowerShell Core
C#
Node.JS
Python

I've not had reason to use C# in quite a while and it’s moved forward quite a bit.

PowerShell (beyond T-SQL) is my most frequently used language these days. I found it on par with C# for my use here, maybe a little more elegant, but only marginally.

Node.JS I had never used before. Quite like it, it feels streamlined, efficient.

Ah nice! So you’re using Azure Ckoud?

On 01/02/2023 at 11:31, Software Dev Expert said:

In the past however VB was primarily used for .Net.

I’m not sure that’s correct. C# was the more pure .net language and what Microsoft wanted to push, VB.net was more for older VB6 devs who wanted to adapt.

• Like 3

On 01/02/2023 at 12:57, Dick Montage said:

I’m not sure that’s correct. C# was the more pure .net language and what Microsoft wanted to push, VB.net was more for older VB6 devs who wanted to adapt.

Exactly, One of the main goals of VB-NET was to allow easier upgrading of VB6 applications. As a result, some creepy "features" were introduced. For example, the implied existence of a default WinForm instance with the same name as the class because many VB6 programmers had trouble understanding the concepts of classes and instances. Another was the default "Option Explicit Off" and "Option Strict Off" for new projects. In short, things that shouldn't really exist in the OOP world

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 04:23, Software Dev Expert said:

Do you mean F#? Are we playing musical notes here? :)

That’s an odd question considering your net handle. 🙃

• Like 2