My First AMD: Help

Ok guys, I need help. I want to upgrade my family's computer, which is a pentium 2, with 400 mhz, to something faster. But I only have about $100 of a budget cuz frankly, it's my brothers' computer, but they dont wanna shell out the cash, but insist on using my computer instead and it's driving me crazy!

Ok, my old PC specs are:

Pentium 2 @ 400 mhz

192 sdram

40 gb hard drive

Now, I already have an extra GeForce 4 video card I can put in the system, and an extra 256 ddr ram, so all I really need is a processor and a new motherboard.

I wanna go towards AMD, but I'm such a noob going into it, that I'm confused reading about different versions of AMD chips. For example, whats the difference between Athlon and Athlon XP? How much of a difference in performance would an Athlon XP with 333fsb and 512kb cache compare to a 266fsb and 256kb cache?

Here are two set ups I'm thinking about getting:

Setup 1: $80

AMD Athlon XP 1900+, 266 MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor - OEM

PC Chips KT266A Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "M811LU" -RETAIL

Setup 2: $110

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM

PC Chips SiS 746 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "M848ALU" -RETAIL

With those setups, I plan on adding these current parts to the system:

DVD/CD Burner

8 gb hard drive

40 gb hard drive

GeForce 4 128 mb

256 mb ddr ram

What do you guys think? I know some of you might mention going BIGGER. but frankly, financially, I can't do it right now. Besides, it's just something to get my siblings away from my computer and using their own. And with this system, I'm sure they can play current games without any problem, right? Mostly Counter Strike and War Craft is what they play.

Feedbacks would be greatly appreciated.

With all of the althlon XP chips you can jsut use the PR ratting (ie the 3200 or 1700 following it) to give you a fairly good estimate of speed. THey match up preaty well with a P4 chip running that speed. I would get a 1700 (natorious for overclocking) and a nForce2 motherboard of some sorts. Rember you get exactly what you pay for.

Omg please dont get a SIS chipset. For goodness sake, ive had NOTHING but awfull experinces with them.

With all of the althlon XP chips you can jsut use the PR ratting (ie the 3200 or 1700 following it) to give you a fairly good estimate of speed. THey match up preaty well with a P4 chip running that speed. I would get a 1700 (natorious for overclocking) and a nForce2 motherboard of some sorts. Rember you get exactly what you pay for.

Omg please dont get a SIS chipset. For goodness sake, ive had NOTHING but awfull experinces with them.

Ok. But is having a fsb/cache of 266/256 compared to a 333/512 that big of a difference that it would be better to just go ahead and get the 333/512? Or would it be better of getting a 1700 with 266/256?

I don't really know much about those two mobo's (don't really have the time to research them). But just by going with what you said, I'd spend the 30 more $ and go with the 2500+. In the long run you'll be happy you did, it'll give you some more time/room to grow, so you won't have to upgrade again in another 6 months-1year (which there is a good chance you'd have to with eh 1900+) I have a 2400+ and love it, so i'd def. recommend the 2500+ (I'm even considering upgrading to one sometime soon) Hope this helps!

What would you guys recommend for a motherboard,and how much would it run? And notice that I have a budget... Maybe upto $120 or $130 (total), depending if I can get my leechers of brothers to chip in for their system.

Ok ok, that PC Chips mainboard doesnt seem to be getting any fans around here. Sorry, it was just something I saw that is the cheapest and may work.

How about this?

MSI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "K7N2 Delta-L" RETAIL

Someone mentioned an Nforce so I thought this might do.

You need to get NEW RAM too.. you left that out...

You'll need to get 512MB of DDR2700 min. :p

I also looked into this processor to go with the MSI mainboard.

MSI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "K7N2 Delta-L" RETAIL 

Would that be fine, considering it has a lower fsb and cache size than the processor from setup 2?

Man you are way confused.. you just posted a link to an Athlon XP 2000+ where before in your first post you had a Barton Athlon XP 2500+..

Make up your mind..

RAM , CPU and MOBO you need.

:p

You need to get NEW RAM too.. you left that out...

You'll need to get 512MB of DDR2700 min. :p

I actually said I have an extra stick of 256 ram.

But yeah, I would really like to have a 512, but I'm sure they'll just have to deal with 256 for now until they get their butts to buy their own.

I actually said I have an extra stick of 256 ram.

But yeah, I would really like to have a 512, but I'm sure they'll just have to deal with 256 for now until they get their butts to buy their own.

Extra sick of what DDR266 or DDR333, DDR400?

or is it old SDR PC133?

Match the speed of your RAm with the processor you chose and the motherboards FSB.

Man you are way confused.. you just posted a link to an Athlon XP 2000+ where before in your first post you had a Barton Athlon XP 2500+..

Make up your mind..

RAM , CPU and MOBO you need.

:p

Exactly, I didnt make up my mind up yet, thats why I have different setups to go by.

I'm getting inputs on what would work.

I know I need a cpu, mobo and ram.

Extra sick of what DDR266 or DDR333, DDR400?

or is it old SDR PC133?

Match the speed of your RAm with the processor you chose and the motherboards FSB.

I actually stated in my first post that it was a 256 ddr ram. If you'd like me to be more specific, it's a 333mhz ram.

ASUS A7N8X-X

Barton 2500+ (333MHz FSB)

(Use your Existing DDR333 RAM You have)

thats like 150@newegg :yes:

You'll need a new case and a new PSU. or at least a new PSU to run this thing don't forget that.

350Watts or higher.. I recommend Antec.

Edited by xStainDx

I actually stated in my first post that it was a 256 ddr ram. If you'd like me to be more specific, it's a 333mhz ram.

If tis DDR333 then get a Barton Athlon XP as its FSB is 333MHz.

Don't go cheap on the CPU that only has a 266MHz FSB like the 2000+ You'll end up with Memory running lower than its rated...:s

I'll 2nd xStainDx's post and go for:

ASUS A7N8X-X

Barton 2500+

If you say you've already got 256 of ddr then you obviously don't need to buy more since cash is tight....if the price of the two ends up being a little higher than expected then go a step down on the processor....keep the motherboard though....that definitely has more of an impact on stability and performance. Processors you can always overclock...stability from the motherboard you chose is a different matter.

From the looks of it, you are building a PC for them not you. AT LEAST, I GOT THAT POINT. :p So getting the SIS better CPU might be good, just you probably should get setup number one given your extra DDR speed. It will work just fine. I built a PC for friends with similiar specs, and it works fine. They are basic PC users as well as your family.

xStainDx also brought up a good point about the powersupply....I've seen athlon's run on 250w but for a gaming system you want a minimum of 300w

The power supply isnt a problem. I got an extra one lying around since I upgrade from a 350 to a 500.

Yes, this is being upgraded for my brothers (as well as my parents), which I why I really dont want to spend so much money on it if they're not helping me out with the spending. I don't mind upgrading it for them, but upgrading it to a point where I'm digging myself into a hole isn't gonna work.

It seems like this thread has gotten way off point where I simply wanted basic upgrade, not a huge one. I figured, getting them an upgrade from a 400 mhz to about 1.6 ghz would suffice since a lot of my friends are running games on their systems with only 1.4 ghz.

So if anyone else have any suggestions on an upgrade I can do along those lines, as well as price ranges not costing over $100 (give or take $10), I'd like to hear them.

ASUS A7N8X-X

Barton 2500+ (333MHz FSB)

(Use your Existing DDR333 RAM You have)

thats like 150@newegg :yes:

You'll need a new case and a new PSU. or at least a new PSU to run this thing don't forget that.

350Watts or higher.. I recommend Antec.

Seems like XstainDx knows what he is talking about since he gave me the same advice in another thread! I would listen to him....he is always helpfully and 99.9 % right about this stuff!