Acronis True Image cannot run on Win 10.

Hello,

The failure rate for any type of digital storage device is 100%… eventually.

It's a good idea to have some sort of a backup solution, regardless of whether it's your existing one or something new.  I'd also suggest that if the data in question is particularly valuable (or unique), that having more than one copy of it is very important.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 08/03/2023 at 12:38, Warwagon said:

isn't this the EXACT same question you asked in this thread? Why did you create another thread for the exact same question?

Not the same question, but additional information and advice request. You may have missed it. The threads were merged. This is my most recent:

Upgraded successfully to Win 10 and a new Kingston 480G internal SSHD. Acronis True Image 2018 no longer works.

From Acronis: "I would like to inform you that Acronis True Image 2018 is an obsolete version. The latest version is Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office which has latest fixes and patches. " Subscription is $49.99/year. 

Firstly, given the reliability of the new SSHD, are Acronis backups really necessary? How likely would failure of the new drive be? 

Secondly, any better alternatives? I want it to be user-friendly and minimum cost.

Thank you for any advice.

On 08/03/2023 at 10:38, Howard Davis said:

Upgraded successfully to Win 10 and a new Kingston 480G internal SSHD. Acronis True Image 2018 no longer works.

From Acronis: "I would like to inform you that Acronis True Image 2018 is an obsolete version. The latest version is Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office which has latest fixes and patches. " Subscription is $49.99/year. 

Firstly, given the reliability of the new SSHD, are Acronis backups really necessary? How likely would failure of the new drive be? 

Secondly, any better alternatives? I want it to be user-friendly and minimum cost.

Thank you for any advice.

all your questions already were answered.

On 08/03/2023 at 23:00, goretsky said:

Hello,

It's a good idea to have some sort of a backup solution, regardless of whether it's your existing one or something new.  I'd also suggest that if the data in question is particularly valuable (or unique), that having more than one copy of it is very important.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

dont forget to backup your backups ;)

Hello,

Here is the backup strategy I currently use for my desktop PC:

16TB NVMe PCIe card backed up to an internal  3 × 10TB HDD storage pool, which is in turn backed up to three external USB hard disk drives in rotation.  The external USB HDDs are powered down when not being backed up to (or restored from).  A subset of data from the backups are copied to five other computers, which are also powered down when not being backed up to, or in use.  If data is updated/added on one of these computers, it is synced to the desktop.

I also maintain offsite (and off-region) backups  One set of of backups that go to locations one time-zone away from me, and the another set that are eight time-zones away.  These are updated less frequently than the daily backups.

If you are curious as to what I am backing up, here is a directory listing of my hardware files collection (device drivers, documentation, troubleshooting and diagnostic utilities, etc.).

So far it has been working okay with no data-loss issues.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 11/03/2023 at 07:53, goretsky said:

Hello,

Here is the backup strategy I currently use for my desktop PC:

16TB NVMe PCIe card backed up to an internal  3 × 10TB HDD storage pool, which is in turn backed up to three external USB hard disk drives in rotation.  The external USB HDDs are powered down when not being backed up to (or restored from).  A subset of data from the backups are copied to five other computers, which are also powered down when not being backed up to, or in use.  If data is updated/added on one of these computers, it is synced to the desktop.

I also maintain offsite (and off-region) backups  One set of of backups that go to locations one time-zone away from me, and the another set that are eight time-zones away.  These are updated less frequently than the daily backups.

If you are curious as to what I am backing up, here is a directory listing of my hardware files collection (device drivers, documentation, troubleshooting and diagnostic utilities, etc.).

So far it has been working okay with no data-loss issues.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for your reply.

Obviously you are a professional with a professional approach to backup. In the case of my one home PC with a 480G SSHD, your way would be total overkill. 

In the unlikely event my SSHD failed I could restore important files from USB thumb drives I keep them on. I would lose some software, but upon converting to Win 10 I found new software will always be required as the planned obsolescence of older things makes necessary. That's why I'm asking here about a backup arrangement for my now non-operating Acronis True Image 2018. 

On 02/03/2023 at 16:23, Howard Davis said:

Upgraded to Win 10; now Acronis True Image 2018 will not back up to the usual external HD. Acronis support for this no longer exists.

Can anyone recommend good new backup software to take its place? 

Running network here with both Acronis True Image 2016 and 2018 on win10 and 11 boxes. It works fine on all of them. I back up to internal drives and a NAS with no issues. It may be the external drive crap that's got you. Also note that all current versions of of Acronis are yearly cost. If you backup from an Acronis boot device it'll back up to the external drive. Bottom line is I have 10, 2018 installs of Acronis and 5, 2016 installs and they all work fine on 10 0r 11. I'd look into it more before jumping ship.

On 12/03/2023 at 14:19, Mut said:

Running network here with both Acronis True Image 2016 and 2018 on win10 and 11 boxes. It works fine on all of them. I back up to internal drives and a NAS with no issues. It may be the external drive crap that's got you. Also note that all current versions of of Acronis are yearly cost. If you backup from an Acronis boot device it'll back up to the external drive. Bottom line is I have 10, 2018 installs of Acronis and 5, 2016 installs and they all work fine on 10 0r 11. I'd look into it more before jumping ship.

Thanks for the reply.

Why does Acronis say that True Image 2018 not working with Win 10, as seems true in my case, is to be expected? Do they just want to sell their new products? 

I have an Acronis boot disc from 2017 but never had the need to use it. 

Can my presently installed but non-functional True Image 2018 be made operable to save to the same external drive I've used all along? If it became necessary, would recovery be possible? 

Are the chances of internal SSHD failure (a new Kingston 480G SSHD) high enough to warrant the annual cost of new backup software? 

On 14/03/2023 at 09:36, Howard Davis said:

Are the chances of internal SSHD failure (a new Kingston 480G SSHD) high enough to warrant the annual cost of new backup software? 

See the previous answer by goretsky. Having a backup software is one decision and whether said software is worth an annual price is another. There are backup solutions with a one-time price.

On 08/03/2023 at 21:00, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 15/03/2023 at 00:18, i_was_here said:

See the previous answer by goretsky. Having a backup software is one decision and whether said software is worth an annual price is another. There are backup solutions with a one-time price.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd be interested in a backup solution with a reasonable one-time price, unless it's likely it will not last for more than a few years as with Acronis. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.