Let’s Talk : Domain names and why if you have one, it should be under your name.

People purchase domain names for a bunch of different reasons.

They might have their own website; they may want to have a unique email address with their own @example .com or they just want a simple type-in address that takes people to another site.

Whatever the reason, if you have a domain name, it should be registered under your name.

It’s not uncommon for people to hire someone to create a website for them. The person or company they hire might create the domain name and put it under their name and not under the customer's name.

Using a single person as an example, what happens if that person unexpectedly dies?

There have been horror stories where the customer loses COMPLETE control of their website’s domain because the person who created and maintained their site died.
That was just one scenario of many

The simplest way to put the domain in your name is to create your own account on the domain registrar they used (you'll probably have to ask them which one it is), and they can transfer the domain to you.

Once it’s transferred to you, it’s your responsibility to renew the domain, but it can be set up on auto-renewal.

I realize most of the people reading this do not have their own domain, but for those who do, make sure it’s under your name.

I mention all of this today because over the weekend I had to help a customer get back into their google workspace account (Got it back). So they can restore access to their Gmail address which was set up using a custom domain setup by an ex-son-in-law. The domain was under his name, not theirs.
  • Like 1