Short continuous beep codes

Hey there,

I just got a new PC Case and decided to clean out my pc parts. I took out every single part, cleaned it a bit and even applied new thermal paste to the CPU. Then I put everything back in the new case and booted into the bios to configure the fans. Suddenly I get these really loud short continuous beep codes so I decide to power it off again. I have a gigabyte motherboard so I checked what the respective beep codes mean but the websites all claim different meanings like it being a PSU issue, Ram or CPU issue or even unplugged cables (everything is tightly attached I triple checked!) (Also before putting everything into the case I checked to see if all the parts were working like they should so I built everything without the case together and everything was working fine.)

Any ideas? 😢

On 14/04/2023 at 19:14, FujiKeno said:

Hey there,

I just got a new PC Case and decided to clean out my pc parts. I took out every single part, cleaned it a bit and even applied new thermal paste to the CPU. Then I put everything back in the new case and booted into the bios to configure the fans. Suddenly I get these really loud short continuous beep codes so I decide to power it off again. I have a gigabyte motherboard so I checked what the respective beep codes mean but the websites all claim different meanings like it being a PSU issue, Ram or CPU issue or even unplugged cables (everything is tightly attached I triple checked!) (Also before putting everything into the case I checked to see if all the parts wereking like they should so I built  without the case together and everything was working fine.)

Any ideas? 😢

Or is it just my CPU overheating? I'm pretty sure I used plenty thermal paste more than there was on the stock cooler for sure

Beep codes are kind of useless, unless you can find them described in the documentation for your specific motherboard (which is quite rare).

As I understand it, you had everything working outside of the case. But, when installed in the case, it worked well enough to get into the BIOS, except it started beeping. Correct?

Since most other problems would result in the PC not booting up that far, I would still highly suspect a problem with the fans/heatsink. Some things, like a missing power cable to the video card (if required), normally result in no video or a message on the screen, but are still worth checking.

Start with everything disconnected/removed other than the essentials: PSU, motherboard, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, and CPU fan/heatsink. Connect a video card only if there is no onboard video.

Make sure that the cables are connected, not just securely, but in the correct headers and plugged into the correct pins in those headers (not shifted by 1 pin or something). Additionally, make sure the heatsink is attached properly. If it has a bracket under the board, make sure it's positioned flat and oriented correctly. Make sure the heatsink is resting flat against the CPU and not resting/snagged on something that is keeping it from making proper contact. Make sure no cables are blocking any fans and preventing them from spinning properly.

I doubt the thermal compound has anything to do with your problem (assuming it's intended for CPUs and not decades old or something). Its purpose is simply to fill the microscopic air gaps between the two metal surfaces. Excess compound will just squeeze out the sides or even create a larger microscopic distance between the two surfaces, causing worse heat transfer. The best application method is to clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, then put 2 or 3 lines of compound on the CPU, keeping the lines equidistant from each other and from the edge of the CPU. Once the heatsink is attached, the compound will be squeezed out flat over the whole CPU surface (the corners don't matter).

That's usually a memory issue. Reset both/all your RAM sticks...

On 14/04/2023 at 18:13, ShadeOfBlue said:

Beep codes are kind of useless, unless you can find them described in the documentation for your specific motherboard (which is quite rare).

And, umm, no.. In the early days it was confusing, but nowadays they use pretty much the same beeping code..

On 15/04/2023 at 01:13, ShadeOfBlue said:

As I understand it, you had everything working outside of the case. But, when installed in the case, it worked well enough to get into the BIOS, except it started beeping. Correct?

Since most other problems would result in the PC not booting up that far, I would still highly suspect a problem with the fans/heatsink. Some things, like a missing power cable to the video card (if required), normally result in no video or a message on the screen, but are still worth checking.

Start with everything disconnected/removed other than the essentials: PSU, motherboard, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, and CPU fan/heatsink. Connect a video card only if there is no onboard video.

Make sure that the cables are connected, not just securely, but in the correct headers and plugged into the correct pins in those headers (not shifted by 1 pin or something). Additionally, make sure the heatsink is attached properly. If it has a bracket under the board, make sure it's positioned flat and oriented correctly. Make sure the heatsink is resting flat against the CPU and not resting/snagged on something that is keeping it from making proper contact. Make sure no cables are blocking any fans and preventing them from spinning properly.

I doubt the thermal compound has anything to do with your problem (assuming it's intended for CPUs and not decades old or something). Its purpose is simply to fill the microscopic air gaps between the two metal surfaces. Excess compound will just squeeze out the sides or even create a larger microscopic distance between the two surfaces, causing worse heat transfer. The best application method is to clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, then put 2 or 3 lines of compound on the CPU, keeping the lines equidistant from each other and from the edge of the CPU. Once the heatsink is attached, the compound will be squeezed out flat over the whole CPU surface (the corners don't matter).

Okay I will try doing this but I think I already  know what the problem is! I'm relatively new to PC building so I covered my CPU with a 2-3mm thick layer of thermal paste 😰 (probably way too much) I thought putting more on would increase the efficiency but the thermal paste probably was squished out to the sides and caused some problems.. I am really glad to have access to these kinds of forums because I basically got my instructions to build the Pc from Youtube and sketchy websites... Thanks for your reply I will try it right away and tell you if it worked!

Edit: So I've reassembled everything outside of the case and its still beeping. For more context: The System boots up then beeps once, which it usually does to confirm that it's starting up. Then just after 3-5 seconds later it starts beeping really hard. I'll try to make pictures or a video of it to show exactly what happens. Also I tried doing this without ram sticks at all but then it doesn't even beep once so I guess thats no way to test it. However putting in only one ram stick makes no difference it still beeps. The Video of what exactly happens is attached👇

On 15/04/2023 at 05:01, Mindovermaster said:

That's usually a memory issue. Reset both/all your RAM sticks...

And, umm, no.. In the early days it was confusing, but nowadays they use pretty much the same beeping code..

How do I reset my ram sticks?

Thanks for your reply!

Edited by FujiKeno

On 15/04/2023 at 09:29, FujiKeno said:

How did you but them in? Open the clips on the edge, and carefully pull it out..

Edit: I meant "reseat" not "reset". Sry..

On 15/04/2023 at 16:29, FujiKeno said:

Okay I will try doing this but I think I already  know what the problem is! I'm relatively new to PC building so I covered my CPU with a 2-3mm thick layer of thermal paste 😰 (probably way too much) I thought putting more on would increase the efficiency but the thermal paste probably was squished out to the sides and caused some problems.. I am really glad to have access to these kinds of forums because I basically got my instructions to build the Pc from Youtube and sketchy websites... Thanks for your reply I will try it right away and tell you if it worked!

Edit: So I've reassembled everything outside of the case and its still beeping. For more context: The System boots up then beeps once, which it usually does to confirm that it's starting up. Then just after 3-5 seconds later it starts beeping really hard. I'll try to make pictures or a video of it to show exactly what happens. Also I tried doing this without ram sticks at all but then it doesn't even beep once so I guess thats no way to test it. However putting in only one ram stick makes no difference it still beeps. The Video of what exactly happens is attached👇

Thanks for your reply!

Everyone! I luckily solved it by cleaning the ram slots and resetting the cmos! Thanks for your help!