The Last String..

On 04/05/2023 at 16:29, Nick H. said:

GPU works fine at the start. Then it gets confused and conks out. Wouldn't be the first time that I've seen it.

Again, what tests have you done against it to rule it out as a possibility?

At times it would even freeze before the desktop comes up.. I don't think it is the GPU here.. As I can not test it, being soldered down..

On 04/05/2023 at 22:42, Mindovermaster said:

At times it would even freeze before the desktop comes up.. I don't think it is the GPU here.. As I can not test it, being soldered down..

Sure you can. Run a few benchmark tests, stress it out a bit and see if it bites the bullet during those tests.

I think its one of the only things that you haven't done so far, so what else could it be? And what have you got to lose by ruling it out as a fault?

• Like 1

On 04/05/2023 at 17:13, Nick H. said:

Sure you can. Run a few benchmark tests, stress it out a bit and see if it bites the bullet during those tests.

I think its one of the only things that you haven't done so far, so what else could it be? And what have you got to lose by ruling it out as a fault?

I ran GLX-gears for a few minutes, and it freezes. I can run Edge browser and it freezes. I can be just on the desktop for a few minutes, and it freezes. Sometimes it freezes before it gets to the desktop.

What more do you want from me?? IT FREEZES no matter wth I do..

Can't see how stressing the GPU does anything.

On 04/05/2023 at 23:40, Mindovermaster said:

I ran GLX-gears for a few minutes, and it freezes. I can run Edge browser and it freezes. I can be just on the desktop for a few minutes, and it freezes. Sometimes it freezes before it gets to the desktop.

What more do you want from me?? IT FREEZES no matter wth I do..

Can't see how stressing the GPU does anything.

Fair play. My point is that you haven't entirely ruled out the GPU being the cause of the issue. And this line of inquiry comes from you mentioning that the OS doesn't acknowledge that the GPU is there.

Now I'm wondering how we can do something that would allow us to rule out the GPU being the issue...

On 05/05/2023 at 10:45, Nick H. said:

Fair play. My point is that you haven't entirely ruled out the GPU being the cause of the issue. And this line of inquiry comes from you mentioning that the OS doesn't acknowledge that the GPU is there.

Now I'm wondering how we can do something that would allow us to rule out the GPU being the issue...

I can understand why you suspect it might be GPU related, but as the OP has stated, its onboard graphix, so if the "GPU" is faulty its a new CPU and possibly MB for the system.

OP:

Does the system freeze during your RAM tests for instance?  or does it freeze when its trying to initialize any graphic "intensive" process (inc just the desktop)

can you run benchmarks in pure CLI without any slowdowns or freezes?

On 04/05/2023 at 17:58, Mud W1ggle said:

Does the system freeze during your RAM tests for instance?  or does it freeze when its trying to initialize any graphic "intensive" process (inc just the desktop)

can you run benchmarks in pure CLI without any slowdowns or freezes?

This DOES NOT happen while running memtest86+

But, it freezes on any desktop, KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE.

I can test running it in TTY1. Or just GRUB CLI. See if it freezes the keyboard there.

On 04/05/2023 at 19:59, theefool said:

I'm sure you saw this:

That is from the preview edition. Was made several several years ago, too.. In the final version, this doesn't happen. I opened it up and see no liquid metal on the board. That's the FIRST thing I checked.

OK, It even froze when I was in TTY2..

On 05/05/2023 at 17:05, Mindovermaster said:

OK, It even froze when I was in TTY2..

Hmmm, I think its prob time to write it off as a bad bet then...

On 08/05/2023 at 00:04, Mud W1ggle said:

Hmmm, I think its prob time to write it off as a bad bet then...

Mhm, I contacted Minisforum (maker) about RMAing it. Or whatever the #! they do..

Edit: I have previously, but doing everything they asked me to do, I couldn't do it..

Edited by Mindovermaster