Dune Part 2 (November 2023)

On 04/05/2023 at 20:06, hagjohn said:

Looks like it will be darker than the others films.

There is very little light in the Dune universe... :p

I have a feeling this will do better than the first which is good news, then we can probably get a movie for book 2.  It helps that book 2 and 3 are around half the size of book 1 to.   I think you can do both of those as one movie each.   Maybe another 2 parter for book 3?    Book 4-6 could be HBO tv series IMO, harder to make those into movies.   But if done right then you use the last two books as a trilogy of movies and end it all.    That's my dream outcome anyways.

On 07/05/2023 at 02:38, FloatingFatMan said:

There is very little light in the Dune universe... :p

Supposedly, this is supposed to be closer to the book than the previous movies.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2023 at 07:44, George P said:

I have a feeling this will do better than the first which is good news, then we can probably get a movie for book 2.  It helps that book 2 and 3 are around half the size of book 1 to.   I think you can do both of those as one movie each.   Maybe another 2 parter for book 3?    Book 4-6 could be HBO tv series IMO, harder to make those into movies.   But if done right then you use the last two books as a trilogy of movies and end it all.    That's my dream outcome anyways.

Well, to be fair, the first half of the book sets up the universe and characters, and the second half has all the actual action in it. Action movies tend to make more money than non-action, so it's fairly easy to predict Dune 2 will do better...

Book 3 is way too small for a 2 part movie, so personally I'd say that should be the starting point for a series... As long as it's in the same Villeneuve movie world...

On 07/05/2023 at 13:36, hagjohn said:

People continually rag on the Lynch movie for drifting too far from the book... If only they looked at the credits for who wrote the screenplay... Herbert was closely involved with Lynch in writing the thing...

On 07/05/2023 at 13:36, hagjohn said:

Marketing baloney.  This trope is always reeled out when a remake is done of something based upon a book.

I'm not the most informed Dune fan, but the Lynch movie was... I mean, I struggle to say "enjoyable" but it was a thing that I see as art!

• 1 month later...