Too hot - Dell XPS 7590 keeps hitting 90°C - 100°C under average(?) load after thermal repaste. Is this expected?

On 16/05/2023 at 18:05, Mindovermaster said:

Your fans working OK? Did you clean them, too?

Edit: Also, you never said you cleaned the ENTIRe laptop. Dust ANYWHERE can make your system work overtime.. Hence the heat.

Actually no.

@goretsky mentioned it too.

It seems it could also be time for a complete cleanup.

There could be places where dust is hidden, like underneath the motherboard.

On 16/05/2023 at 18:35, adrynalyne said:

Unfortunately, it knee caps performance for everything under the throttle threshhold.

Are you able to undervolt it instead?

I have.

But that hasn't been enough.

I do live in a very dusty area, and that could be one of the significant issues.

Although I don't see dust visually accumulated in other areas, is this a blind spot that i'm having?

On 16/05/2023 at 09:56, Jose_49 said:

I have.

But that hasn't been enough.

I do live in a very dusty area, and that could be one of the significant issues.

Although I don't see dust visually accumulated in other areas, is this a blind spot that i'm having?

What is your ambient temperature, are you blocking any vents anywhere? My daughter would put her laptop on her bed; it drove me insane. 

On 16/05/2023 at 18:59, adrynalyne said:

What is your ambient temperature, are you blocking any vents anywhere? My daughter would put her laptop on her bed; it drove me insane. 

Currently around °23 Celsius = 73.4 F.

Using the laptop on a table. No vents blocked.

And here it's a picture after the cleaning.

I currently shot them with an S10e.

Temps are better, ain't gonna lie.

• Stock: Turbo Boost enabled + no undervolting:
  • They still oscillate between 60 - 85°C with Firefox opened + 7 tabs (Plus my default programs).
  • Fans still kick in but they aren't as loud as before.

I know these CPUs run hot by themselves.

I'll let you guys know the result after a couple of tests.

20230516_201635 (Small).jpg

image.png

Wow.

• The PC is so much snappier! It feels as if it has been cleanly installed.
  • VSCode is snappy as fingers.
  • Temps do oscillate between 66°C - 95°C, which is normal.
  • Fans aren't kicking in as they used to with the same loads.
  • When watching a YouTube video, even the fans are coming down.

Too early to come up with a conclusion, but first impressions are goooooood.

On 16/05/2023 at 14:19, Jose_49 said:

Wow.

• The PC is so much snappier! It feels as if it has been cleanly installed.
  • VSCode is snappy as fingers.
  • Temps do oscillate between 66°C - 95°C, which is normal.
  • Fans aren't kicking in as they used to with the same loads.
  • When watching a YouTube video, even the fans are coming down.

Too early to come up with a conclusion, but first impressions are goooooood.

Did we not say so? 😛

I just wanted to give an update. I wanted to thank everyone for helping me out.

Here are some findings after some days after going back and forth:

1. There's some performance penalty when I disable the Turbo Boost. So I am keeping things undervolted instead.
  2. My workflow, even though I don't realize it, will put the computer to stress. Having multiple browsers with multiple windows opened are power hungry and eats a lot of CPU. This multiplies even further considering I'm using a lot of Electron apps (Slack, VSCode, Postman) .
  3. Fans are less noisy, and the PC is snappier. The full cleanup did help.
  4. I have to accept that:
    1. The Dell XPS has a small chassis,
    2. The i7 9750H is a hot processor.
  5. I'll probably have to get an M-series Macbook to achieve both: great battery life and great performance for work-related stuff.

image.png.9cfc661a917f21356ce2c7afc087afc6.png

• Like 2

On 18/05/2023 at 13:12, Jose_49 said:

I just wanted to give an update. I wanted to thank everyone for helping me out.

Here are some findings after some days after going back and forth:

1. There's some performance penalty when I disable the Turbo Boost. So I am keeping things undervolted instead.
  2. My workflow, even though I don't realize it, will put the computer to stress. Having multiple browsers with multiple windows opened are power hungry and eats a lot of CPU. This multiplies even further considering I'm using a lot of Electron apps (Slack, VSCode, Postman) .
  3. Fans are less noisy, and the PC is snappier. The full cleanup did help.
  4. I have to accept that:
    1. The Dell XPS has a small chassis,
    2. The i7 9750H is a hot processor.
  5. I'll probably have to get an M-series Macbook to achieve both: great battery life and great performance for work-related stuff.

image.png.9cfc661a917f21356ce2c7afc087afc6.png

I know XTU didn't work for you, have your tried power throttling the chip instead? Like dropping the PKG power to like 36W or something, or setting the multiplier to something lower

This is an excellent and informative thread for Dell ultra book owners. Many thanks.

Going to try some of these on the XPS's (13 & 15) we own. Both late models but the wife's XPS 13 suffers overheating (I did remove all the dell support assist shite which was chewing cycles in the 6-7 background processes it had running).

The 15 isn't so bad as i9-10885h with 64gb of ram.

• Like 2

On 18/05/2023 at 15:26, hellowalkman said:

I know XTU didn't work for you, have your tried power throttling the chip instead? Like dropping the PKG power to like 36W or something, or setting the multiplier to something lower

I haven't!

I haven't looked too much into Throttlestop to know how to do it, though.

Here's my current setup

image.png.4d9407abb405c730d763f53cee604744.png

• Like 1

On 18/05/2023 at 15:38, Sledge said:

This is an excellent and informative thread for Dell ultra book owners. Many thanks.

Going to try some of these on the XPS's (13 & 15) we own. Both late models but the wife's XPS 13 suffers overheating (I did remove all the dell support assist shite which was chewing cycles in the 6-7 background processes it had running).

The 15 isn't so bad as i9-10885h with 64gb of ram.

The 15 is a beast.

The only thing is that if I recall correctly, Intel disabled undervolting in 10th gen CPUs.

On 18/05/2023 at 20:03, Jose_49 said:

I haven't!

I haven't looked too much into Throttlestop to know how to do it, though.

Here's my current setup

image.png.4d9407abb405c730d763f53cee604744.png

Can you drop the IccMax? depending on what kind of lower power target you are trying to achieve. For example, try something around 115 Amps. That's a 10% drop. Or may be 109Amps for a 15% drop. That will lower the clocks on the CPU somewhat and should decrease temps by a lot. Generally Amps vs Power is quite linear (like 90% linear).

You will need to find your own balance between the right amount of under-volting and the right amount of under-amping to see whatever meets your performance targets for the least amount of heat.

On 18/05/2023 at 16:47, hellowalkman said:

Can you drop the IccMax? depending on what kind of lower power target you are trying to achieve. For example, try something around 115 Amps. That's a 10% drop. Or may be 109Amps for a 15% drop. That will lower the clocks on the CPU somewhat and should decrease temps by a lot. Generally Amps vs Power is quite linear (like 90% linear).

You will need to find your own balance between the right amount of under-volting and the right amount of under-amping to see whatever meets your performance targets for the least amount of heat.

Oh, I just did that, Niiiiceee.

I haven't tested out the performance penalty, but so far, looking better than disabling the turbo boost.

Note: I'm under full load, meaning that I'm running my usual programs.

image.png.5ce935eab04e8345482ab743573f6a58.png

image.png.96e90391fd43462a4993c9623e015a78.png

• Love 1

On 18/05/2023 at 20:50, Jose_49 said:

I haven't tested out the performance penalty, but so far, looking better than disabling the turbo boost.

Yeah this is why I was recommending playing around with the IccMax instead of simply disabling turbo. Glad it finally worked. :)

On 18/05/2023 at 15:38, Jose_49 said:

The 15 is a beast.

The only thing is that if I recall correctly, Intel disabled undervolting in 10th gen CPUs.

Ouch although the 15 is behaving as a travelling dev pc. Tbh I mostly just remote home now so is overkill. 

The Xps 13 has similar specs to yourself so will be lifting the lid this weekend to play. 

On 18/05/2023 at 20:18, Sledge said:

Ouch although the 15 is behaving as a travelling dev pc. Tbh I mostly just remote home now so is overkill. 

The Xps 13 has similar specs to yourself so will be lifting the lid this weekend to play. 

Nice. Keep us posted to see how it goes!

On 18/05/2023 at 17:36, hellowalkman said:

Yeah this is why I was recommending playing around with the IccMax instead of simply disabling turbo. Glad it finally worked. :)

🤗🤗🤗

Thank you very much!

• Like 1