What case are you using?

I have been looking into a new case for my build and was looking at a NZXT H510 Elite or a Phanteks Eclipse G360A. I have not really made a decision on it yet and was wondering what case's people were using in new builds. I will most likely be using air cooling and need space for either a NVidia 30 or 40 series video card. 

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified.

A great case that has a terrible hotswap system that is completely blocked off from any cooling. I had to buy a WD Gold drive just to handle the temperatures since it killed my WD Black drive.

The 10 ton* Thermaltake View 71.

If you're going air cooling, or even water cooling (it has three areas to mount water coolers)... it's a decent case. Plenty of room, including a side mount for the GPU if you like to see the front of your card, or it's a massive beast and you don't want the weight of it bearing down on the PCI-E connector.

She's made of steel and 5mm tempered glass..(*giving it a seriously hefty weight empty) removable top and front. Each top/front has screens to help with dust. Many ways to have either HDD/SDD mounts in the front and back of the case.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365017-REG/thermaltake_ca_1i7_00f1wn_01_view_71_tempered_glass.html

Edited by xMorpheousx416

I always used Fractal Design.

Use a Fractal Design Define S2 rn.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2023 at 19:34, adrynalyne said:

A great case that has a terrible hotswap system that is completely blocked off from any cooling. I had to buy a WD Gold drive just to handle the temperatures since it killed my WD Black drive.

snap i have the same case 

Case Using Currently for my Gaming Desktop--Intel 10700, 32GB of Ram,  Geforce 1660 Super,  Micro AtX Gigabyte b460m-ds3h

Thermaltake V200 TG RGB

((if i had to pick a newer case now)  probably would be a Black Nzxt Airflow model  or Corasir 4000D AIrflow or 5000D Airflow (and hopefully would fit on my desk lol) 

Though would consider a Fractal Design  Meshify Case or Torrent model maybe if i could afford one

I have an NZXT 511 (OEM builder only model with less USB C on the front but otherwise identical). It's OK, would be very tight with a 40 series card if it would even fit. I use a Be Quiet 280mm RAD in the front which fits neatly, the included fans were pants so I switched them out for Silent Wings and populated all the fan positions in the case. The cable management features on the NZXT cases are top notch though so everything is hidden away very neatly

Personally I'd go with a Corsair 5000 D Airflow or Fractal Design meshify, gives more space to work, will probably give lower overall temps and you can fit a bigger RAD should you wish to move from air to AIO/Water cooling in future.

I'm using a Mac Pro clone case. I know stupid, but I really liked it for the living room media center PC.

(not my photo, but same case)

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.c4c9c5549269e1acedd23d6a28b8e485.jpg

• Like 3

When I built mine in 2019, I wanted a quiet system with the option for a BluRay writer and possibility for a glass side for RGB.

da59235ce356dd41ac8119b55900aa2f.jpg

bgw21_w_h_6.jpg

bgw21_w_h_8.jpg

side panel is off atm

20230517_121511.jpg

But more importantly I wanted the buttons and front USB to actually be on the front, not a side or on the top cover as has become the norm.

That switch controls the fan speed. And it is pretty inexpensive for what it achieves.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/937

Edit: It is shipped with a non glass side by the way, the glass panel is an accessory you can order.

• Like 3

Hello,

My current primary desktop PC's case is a Fractal Design Define R6 with an upgrade to top/front port cluster to add a USB Type-C port.  If you are curious about what's inside, the PCPartPicker list can be found here for it.

More recently, I started a gaming system around a Fractal Design Define 7 XL case and an EVGA Z690 Classified motherboard.  I had started with a Fractal Design Define 7 (no XL) case for that, but this motherboard has many right-angle connectors on its bottom/left edge that couldn't easily be connected, so I switched to the larger case.

I have been using Fractal Design's cases for many years and have been very happy with them.  I have used some Antec, Lian-Li, Nanoxia, Rosewill, and Silverstone cases for other builds, too, and those worked very well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 16/05/2023 at 23:09, Mindovermaster said:

I always used Fractal Design.

Use a Fractal Design Define S2 rn.

Samesies. My current machine is in a Fractal Define 5. I've previously used Thermaltake (Tsunami & Armor JR) and I've built PC's with Antec, but Fractal is now my go-to.

On 17/05/2023 at 10:53, Steven P. said:

https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/937

Edit: It is shipped with a non glass side by the way, the glass panel is an accessory you can order.

I didn't know BeQuiet did cases. I have a bunch of their fans, and a Dark Rock Pro 2 HSF. 

• Like 2

Just a quick update. As of right now I am seriously looking at (but not set on) these:

NZXT H5 Flow

NZXT H5 Elite

Corsair iCUE 4000D RGB Airflow Mid-Tower Case

Right Now on my current build I am using a NZXT H440 case. 

The problem I have is with storage for the NZXT cases. I need at least on High GB hard drive. And that weird GPU fan that takes a lot of space. 

• Like 1

I used an Antec P180 for over 10 years and many builds; it was a great case but it's really big and the firewire port on the front isn't all that useful these days. I replaced it a couple of years ago with an Antec P5, nowhere near as tank-like as my old one but it's quiet and does what I need. I'll probably build a retro PC or something in the P180 eventually. If I were buying one today though I really like the look of the Fractal Design North with the wooden slats on the front.

On 19/05/2023 at 15:48, Skyfrog said:

I used an Antec P180 for over 10 years and many builds; it was a great case but it's really big and the firewire port on the front isn't all that useful these days. I replaced it a couple of years ago with an Antec P5, nowhere near as tank-like as my old one but it's quiet and does what I need. I'll probably build a retro PC or something in the P180 eventually. If I were buying one today though I really like the look of the Fractal Design North with the wooden slats on the front.

Yea I looked at the Fractal Design North, good case but I am not a fan of the wood. 

Compared to others posted here, mine looks fairly ancient, as I am still using the same case I originally bought in March 2006 (although motherboard/CPU/RAM (and even the 120mm case fans) etc has been swapped since), which is Antec SLK3000B...

11-129-152-06.JPG

although on the front there I removed the door at the top (which opens/closes) there a while ago since it's just in the way of my two CD/DVD drives (I know CD/DVD is ancient tech for some people, but it's still a good way to backup high importance data etc for long term storage).

p.s. my backup desktop has the motherboard (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe) that was originally in the case of the picture I posted, but is now currently in a 'Alienware' PC case I got back in 2001.

• Like 3

On 19/05/2023 at 19:15, ThaCrip said:

Compared to others posted here, mine looks fairly ancient, as I am still using the same case I originally bought in March 2006 (although motherboard/CPU/RAM (and even the 120mm case fans) etc has been swapped since), which is Antec SLK3000B...

11-129-152-06.JPG

although on the front there I removed the door at the top (which opens/closes) there a while ago since it's just in the way of my two CD/DVD drives (I know CD/DVD is ancient tech for some people, but it's still a good way to backup high importance data etc for long term storage).

p.s. my backup desktop has the motherboard (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe) that was originally in the case of the picture I posted, but is now currently in a 'Alienware' PC case I got back in 2001.

As long as it works, bro. :)

• Like 2

On 16/05/2023 at 19:34, adrynalyne said:

I was thinking there... The only place I remember where you can mount drives is the vertical piece that hides the cables. As everywhere else in my case is occupied. 

IMG_1083_-small.jpeg

IMG_1221_-small.jpeg

On 20/05/2023 at 02:14, vf- said:

I was thinking there... The only place I remember where you can mount drives is the vertical piece that hides the cables. As everywhere else in my case is occupied. 

IMG_1083_-small.jpeg

IMG_1221_-small.jpeg

Not sure what you mean.  The hot swap bays are to the back. In the first screenshot, it looks like you removed one of the cages or is this another o11 variant? The XL ROG has two bays, which each can hold 2 drives.

IMG_1555.png

Yes, I removed both of them. One for all the cables to sit below and the other for the top section to get ventilation.

On 19/05/2023 at 19:15, ThaCrip said:

Compared to others posted here, mine looks fairly ancient

I had this case for over 20 years... only reason I got rid of it (year ago), was an influx of new cases.. and very little room for empties. Plus, it was all aluminum and the HDD cages wouldn't lock any more (had slide locks to keep them in place). Just wore it out. But.. she seen Windows XP (Athlon XP 1400+ to 3200+) all the way to an AMD FX8350 and Windows 10.

81961283_934.jpg