Display connection might be limited

I get this in windows 11 but not in windows 10...

USB popup saying "Display connection might be limited. Make sure the DisplayPort device you're connecting to is supported by your PC."

my Dell U2720QM Monitor is connected via standard display port. Yet I get this message when I want to use the USB Ports on my monitor. I have the USB Hub in the monitor connected back to the system via USB-C, which is the only way the uplink port goes back.

Why would my display connection be limited? nothing is limiting it, and there is no video over USB-C set up, thunderbolt is turned off on in the BIOS config as I am powering this monitor over a nVIDIA RTX 3080 card and have no need for thunderbolt either.

What am I missing? I want to use the monitors side USB  ports and use the display port connection to the dedicated card and not get this warning every time I start up in windows 11

image.png.f85469e9b5518bc4e1d6ea7a842d5682.png

You keep having problems over problems.. :laugh: 

I think it's just a Windows 11 bug, imo.. If it works fine, why?

On 21/05/2023 at 08:43, Mindovermaster said:

This is how rumors start. Go ahead and explain why it’s a Windows 11 bug. 

On 21/05/2023 at 08:27, neufuse said:

I get this in windows 11 but not in windows 10...

USB popup saying "Display connection might be limited. Make sure the DisplayPort device you're connecting to is supported by your PC."

my Dell U2720QM Monitor is connected via standard display port. Yet I get this message when I want to use the USB Ports on my monitor. I have the USB Hub in the monitor connected back to the system via USB-C, which is the only way the uplink port goes back.

Why would my display connection be limited? nothing is limiting it, and there is no video over USB-C set up, thunderbolt is turned off on in the BIOS config as I am powering this monitor over a nVIDIA RTX 3080 card and have no need for thunderbolt either.

What am I missing? I want to use the monitors side USB  ports and use the display port connection to the dedicated card and not get this warning every time I start up in windows 11

image.png.f85469e9b5518bc4e1d6ea7a842d5682.png

Have you tried another cable to connect your monitor?

I used to have a 27" G Sync Dell and that had a USB hub too, but it used the following cable:

image.png

This is what a USB uplink usually looks like. I haven't seen one with a Type C connector, Type C is usually used for Thunderbolt/DisplayPort connections.

I am using one right now from DisplayPort to Type C on a mini PC. You will find that Type C ports will also have a DisplayPort symbol on it.

On 21/05/2023 at 13:44, adrynalyne said:

This is how rumors start. Go ahead and explain why it’s a Windows 11 bug. 

Explain why it isn't..

"Think" means, I'm not sure, just my opinion on the matter. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Make sure the Type C connector is in the right port. You want to make sure the USB Hub connection isn't in the one with the DisplayPort symbol. (use the one with the red arrow).

• Thanks 1

On 21/05/2023 at 13:57, Steven P. said:

image.jpeg

Make sure the Type C connector is in the right port. You want to make sure the USB Hub connection isn;t in the one with the DisplayPort symbol. (use the one with the red arrow).

Good catch. I forgot about that.. I know they use different DP ports for usual PC connection, and daisy chain.

On 21/05/2023 at 11:55, Mindovermaster said:

Explain why it isn't..

"Think" means, I'm not sure, just my opinion on the matter. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

I know what I means but clearly you cannot even back up your own opinion. 

On 21/05/2023 at 14:57, Steven P. said:

image.jpeg

Make sure the Type C connector is in the right port. You want to make sure the USB Hub connection isn't in the one with the DisplayPort symbol. (use the one with the red arrow).

yeah that's which one it is plugged into the upstream usb-c port, yet it keeps thinking its trying to use thunderbolt

On 21/05/2023 at 11:43, Mindovermaster said:

this is a completely different system too with a new monitor

On 21/05/2023 at 14:57, Steven P. said:

image.jpeg

image.thumb.png.7406c2f1779dc3e67bfbd58e83e4d40a.png

According to the manual the upstream USB-C port is also display port, there is no independent upsteam USB port, the two USB3 downstream ports are not upstream. The input on the screen is set to Display Port not USB Type-C for the video. Windows seems to think that the USB-C even though DisplayPort on it is turned off in the bios is still a display port via USB-C

Check to see if your USB-C setting is prioritized for data or resolution. I have a similar monitor and noticed my internet speeds weren't maxing out at 1Gbps and changed it from max graphics to max data.  My graphics didn't seem to take any hit but my ethernet capped out after the change. 

image.thumb.png.74984558d30373f8bfac07271c7a6bf8.png

Chances are you can probably safely ignore that message if you're getting your intended resolution. The warning may go away if you happen to have it set to max data and toggle to max resolution instead. 

On 21/05/2023 at 18:08, FizzyChickenBroth said:

Check to see if your USB-C setting is prioritized for data or resolution. I have a similar monitor and noticed my internet speeds weren't maxing out at 1Gbps and changed it from max graphics to max data.  My graphics didn't seem to take any hit but my ethernet capped out after the change. 

image.thumb.png.74984558d30373f8bfac07271c7a6bf8.png

Chances are you can probably safely ignore that message if you're getting your intended resolution. The warning may go away if you happen to have it set to max data and toggle to max resolution instead. 

graphics aren't going through the USB-C cable, they are going through a DP cable, so that wouldn't affect resolution, but the USB-C port is set to data but that shouldn't matter as the motherboard's bios is set to disable video on USB-C since I'm not using it for that 

right now nothing is affected by it, just an annoying windows pop up randomly warning me about it, which I can't seem to stop even with notifications for it turned off

On 21/05/2023 at 14:51, Steven P. said:

I used to have a 27" G Sync Dell and that had a USB hub too, but it used the following cable:

image.png

This is what a USB uplink usually looks like. I haven't seen one with a Type C connector, Type C is usually used for Thunderbolt/DisplayPort connections.

I am using one right now from DisplayPort to Type C on a mini PC. You will find that Type C ports will also have a DisplayPort symbol on it.

this monitor has no type b or type b 3 connectors, only USB-C upstream ports and 2 USB 3 Type A downstream ports on the bottom and 1 Type A / 1 Type C downstream on the side

Hello,

It sounds like the monitor is trying to negotiate a DisplayLink connection to the computer with the Nvidia RTX 3080 video card in it over the computer's USB-C port.  That's just a guess on my part, though, since I haven't seen any mention of the brand and model of computer and do not know what its capabilities may or may not be.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 23/05/2023 at 13:42, neufuse said:

Dell support - "This is a normal message when using the USB ports on this monitor inside of Windows 10 or 11"

ok....

Umm.. Yeah.. Just another way of saying they don't know either..

On 23/05/2023 at 17:11, Mindovermaster said:

Umm.. Yeah.. Just another way of saying they don't know either..

yeah, that's basically what I expected from dell support too... but had to ask just incase there was something they knew... wish I knew how to stop this, not hurting anything just annoying how it randomly pops up warning about it.. and it's only on this monitor, I have other USB-C capable dell monitors that are larger 4K displays and they don't do this

Edited by neufuse
  • Sad 1

Hello,

What is the complete and exact sub-brand and model number of the Dell computer with the Nvidia RTX 3080 video card in it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky