Windows 7 won't install

I need to do some programming with Windows 7 & VS 2008. I have an old period laptop HP Elitebook 8570p that came with Windows 7.

My son used this laptop back when Windows 10 came and i could just make a Win10 usb and install, no problems.

Now I made Windows 7 SP1 (iso image from MS) USB with Rufus all i get is black screen after I select the boot device.

I burned the image to DVD and there is some progress. It boots from the DVD, loads install files but the before the install starts in the starting windows screen it gets stuck in it. I had original Vista disc also and same thing.

This laptop came with Win7 and I have no Idea why it wont install. I'm pretty sure Win8 would work just as Win10 did.

I have resetted bios. Only thing different with this laptop is that it has Samsung 840 or something SSD. If I remember correctly this came with HDD.

Any ideas?

Edited by Joni_78

Hello,

From looking at the specs for the Hewlett-Packard Elitebook 8750p it should run Windows 7 just fine, so my thoughts are either an issue with the installation media such as a bad Windows 7 ISO file, or perhaps an issue with the drive inside the laptop.

My initial thought would be to try wiping the Samsung 840 SSD inside the laptop prior to installing Windows 7, and then try performing a clean install of the operating system. 

Once it is up and running, be sure to check for firmware updates for the Samsung 840 SSD.  I recall there were several over the course of that series of drive to fix various issues.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I dont think there is anything wrong with the iso or burned disk as there is the same problem with original Vista disk.

I think Goretsky is right, it is because of the SSD. I’ll try with HDD.

*I booted with Win11 usb deleted all partitions from ssd, but it was the same.

Hello,

Just to check, when you made the Windows 7 installation media with Rufus, did you select the MBR/BIOS option, and not the GPT/UEFI option for making the installation media?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 03/06/2023 at 12:07, goretsky said:

Hello,

Just to check, when you made the Windows 7 installation media with Rufus, did you select the MBR/BIOS option, and not the GPT/UEFI option for making the installation media?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I tried both but no luck. It might have been because of the BIOS settings.

There were two problems. Ssd it had some issues. Works with hdd.

Second was the bios settings. Secure Boot, Native UEFI, Hybrid UEFI, Legacy.

I had native UEFI and thats why it hang when installing from DVD. With Hybrid UEFI I can install from the DVD.

What settings should I actually use with Windows 7? Whats the difference between legacy and hybrid uefi as both of those seem to work when installing from DVD.

Also it seems that it’s bossible to make USB that allows native UEFI + then there is that secure boot support that was added into W7 some time ago.

What would be the proper way to set these?

^ exactly what is that old laptop like 2012 time frame?  So like 11 years old - wouldn't it just be easier to fire up a VM on whatever your current device is, I would hope its newer than 11 years and do whatever you need to do with antiquated vs2008..

VM would take the fun out of this. Also I wanted to restore this laptop to the OS it had when it came.

I got alot of free Windows 7 keys from different beta tests and fortunately I had saved those as I wasn't able to activate with OEM media. It was hard to find iso image with the correct technet iso hash though.

Win7 is actually alot better than I remember. I mean it was good when it came and when Win8 came, but i'm suprised it's still this good.

Sent from Windows 7 Ultimate :)

Edited by Joni_78

On 03/06/2023 at 10:29, Joni_78 said:

VM would take the fun out of this. Also I wanted to restore this laptop to the OS it had when it came.

I got alot of free Windows 7 keys from different beta tests and fortunately I had saved those as I wasn't able to activate with OEM media. It was hard to find iso image with the correct technet iso hash though.

Win7 is actually alot better than I remember. I mean it was good when it came and when Win8 came, but i'm suprised it's still this good.

Sent from Windows 7 Ultimate :)

Windows 7 isn't supported anymore.

There are probably security flaws big enough for a bus to drive through them.

Edited by Mockingbird

I would suggest a VM would be better, I am running Windows Pizza  (I mean Vista Home Basic) for fun in my exploring the operating system (with it on a private network, without an internet connection) and to test out some old software I have and never used. 

At least with a VM, you can segment it from your network, so any malicious crap doesn't come through,

Nah let's not drive a bus through Windows 7, the passengers deserve better. :)

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 21:21, Mockingbird said:

There are probably security flaws big enough [in Windows 7] for a bus to drive through them.

To speculate a bit (as the following sounds plausible)... given only about 3.61% of Windows users are using Windows 7 and as long as browsers continue to get updates, I suspect the real world risk of someone compromising that system is low enough. so it's still probably reasonably safe to browse websites online with it as long as your browser is updated, which Firefox is still getting updates for Windows 7. but apparently Mozilla is dumping support of Firefox on Windows 7 in Sep 2024. so people have until at least then (maybe a bit past for those who want to live on the edge a bit) before it will be more of the true nail in Windows 7's coffin for online usage.

but given not many are using Windows 7, I can't imagine the hacker types are targeting it at this point in time. so whatever flaws are in the OS, unless it's something fairly major and fairly easy to exploit etc, I can't imagine people have too much to worry about.

p.s. but honestly, for a person using Windows 7 who can't install a any Windows newer than Win7, unless someone must stick with Windows 7 on that computer for whatever reason, I suggest installing Linux Mint to it (either now, or by no later than about Sep 2024) as then you will have a secure machine online for many years to come. even if a person has to keep Win7 around for a limited amount of software etc for whatever reason, I would suggest a two HDD (or SSD) setup... Linux on your main boot drive with Windows 7 on a backup. I have never been a fan of dual-booting, but when I do, I prefer to use the two hard drive setup, which is what I am using on a old ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard I have which is basically higher end 2005 motherboard tech as I still primarily have Windows 7 on it for a very limited amount of games that are not a option on Linux for that particular computer (although my main computer runs the couple of games or so through Linux without issue. so it's more of a backup reason in case my main PC dies etc).

side note: the Windows 7 I have is updated as of Jan 2023. there is a Integrate7 script online (by user 'wkeller') that one can create a updated ISO of Windows 7 (and strips out excess junk to as a bonus) as it makes getting things up and running much quicker during clean installs since you don't have to worry about running windows updates etc.

• Facepalm 2

On 04/06/2023 at 07:21, ThaCrip said:

To speculate a bit (as the following sounds plausible)... given only about 3.61% of Windows users are using Windows 7 and as long as browsers continue to get updates, I suspect the real world risk of someone compromising that system is low enough. so it's still probably reasonably safe to browse websites online with it as long as your browser is updated, which Firefox is still getting updates for Windows 7. but apparently Mozilla is dumping support of Firefox on Windows 7 in Sep 2024. so people have until at least then (maybe a bit past for those who want to live on the edge a bit) before it will be more of the true nail in Windows 7's coffin for online usage.

but given not many are using Windows 7, I can't imagine the hacker types are targeting it at this point in time. so whatever flaws are in the OS, unless it's something fairly major and fairly easy to exploit etc, I can't imagine people have too much to worry about.

I don't know what's worse: that you still have Windows 7 connected to the internet or the excuse that you made for it.

Unsupported operating systems are low-hanging fruits for hackers because exploits are not being patched.

You should look up "Exploit Wednesday".

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Like 2

I don’t understand why everyone is screaming like i would infect the whole world with Covid on Windows 7. I know what i’m doing, i have antivirus,  i’m just surfing and reading on trusted sites and programming with VS2008. This computer is not connected to any other computers in this house.

You know, I’ll finish my Windows 98 build and i’ll be back on saturday.

On 04/06/2023 at 15:53, Joni_78 said:

I don’t understand why everyone is screaming like i would infect the whole world with Covid on Windows 7. I know what i’m doing, i have antivirus,  i’m just surfing and reading on trusted sites and programming with VS2008. This computer is not connected to any other computers in this house.

because it is the internet and people will always have opinions and will want you to do what they say, or else... your're wrong lol :laugh:

On 04/06/2023 at 16:53, Joni_78 said:

You have all the rights to try to run Windows 7 again. Actually you gave a very nice idea and I'm gonna do the same and connect to the internet. lol 😄

On 04/06/2023 at 15:21, Mockingbird said:

I don't know what's worse: that you still have Windows 7 connected to the internet or the excuse that you made for it.

Unsupported operating systems are low-hanging fruits for hackers because exploits are not being patched.

You should look up "Exploit Wednesday".

Do you honestly think I am wrong in my general point/reasoning? ; if so, please explain how I am wrong.

because my general point is this... just connecting Windows 7 to the internet is unlikely for it to get infected since if you don't have nothing running (like nothing someone can connect to etc) there is nothing for shady people to exploit. note: I am just assuming the user won't do nothing stupid like run a shady exe etc.

so based on this... the browser is probably the weakest link, which Firefox is still being updated for Win7, so as long as someone can't exploit some sort of drive-by download type of flaw (i.e. just visiting a site infects your computer), it's unlikely you will get infected just having Win7 connected to the internet.

don't get me wrong, I am not recommending it, but it's probably not as bad as some make it out to be is my general point if someone has to use Win7 for whatever reason, Firefox is still receiving updates until Sep 2024. so it's still probably 'secure enough' until the browser is no longer patched since I would tend to assume the browser is where exploits would generally have to compromise a Windows 7 system.

on the computer I do have Win7 installed, while it is connected to the internet when I boot to it (it boots to Linux Mint by default though), I am not concerned since I don't browse the internet on it anyways (and nothing on the Windows hard drive is of high importance to me anyways) and it just sitting there seems quite unlikely it will get 'hacked' because people can't just magically get into the OS as it's behind a router firewall and it's not like some shady person can connect to that computer.

so given all of that info... I don't even think it's possible (or at least unlikely) to hack it in that state (like it's just sitting there with a basic internet connection behind a router with a firewall), correct? ; putting aside the user doing something stupid like running a shady etc at which point it's probably not going to matter whether they got Win7/Win10 etc, it's a matter of time before these kinds of people will end up with a compromised system.

in short... just having Windows 7 connected to the internet, with it just sitting there (since there is nothing for a shady person to access on it to exploit), is unlikely it's going to get infected with a virus is my point if that's too much to read. because if this could happen super easily, and happen quickly, I am sure boatloads of people would have gotten screwed in the past even when stuff was getting patches since it took roughly 2-4 weeks to get a patch and in that time, if it was easy for this to occur, a lot of people would have gotten infected etc.

Edited by ThaCrip

On 04/06/2023 at 17:20, ThaCrip said:

Do you honestly think I am wrong in my general point/reasoning? ; if so, please explain how I am wrong.

because my general point is this... just connecting Windows 7 to the internet is unlikely for it to get infected since if you don't have nothing running (like nothing someone can connect to etc) there is nothing for shady people to exploit. note: I am just assuming the user won't do nothing stupid like run a shady exe etc.

There is nothing for exploit...

...except for the OS itself

so based on this... the browser is probably the weakest link, which Firefox is still being updated for Win7, so as long as someone can't exploit some sort of drive-by download type of flaw (i.e. just visiting a site infects your computer), it's unlikely you will get infected just having Win7 connected to the internet.

That's like saying that even though there are huge holes in the fence, intruders can't get in because the front gate is secure.

don't get me wrong, I am not recommending it, but it's probably not as bad as some make it out to be is my general point if someone has to use Win7 for whatever reason, Firefox is still receiving updates until Sep 2024. so it's still probably 'secure enough' until the browser is no longer patched since I would tend to assume the browser is where exploits would generally have to compromise a Windows 7 system.

If someone has to use Windows 7 for whatever reason, he/she needs to keep it offline.

on the computer I do have Win7 installed, while it is connected to the internet when I boot to it (it boots to Linux Mint by default though), I am not concerned since I don't browse the internet on it anyways (and nothing on the Windows hard drive is of high importance to me anyways) and it just sitting there seems quite unlikely it will get 'hacked' because people can't just magically get into the OS as it's behind a router firewall and it's not like some shady person can connect to that computer.

No one can hack your PC because it is behind a router? LMAO.

Also, you just said that you browse the internet on Firefox.

in short... just having Windows 7 connected to the internet, with it just sitting there (since there is nothing for a shady person to access on it to exploit), is unlikely it's going to get infected with a virus is my point if that's too much to read. because if this could happen super easily, and happen quickly, I am sure boatloads of people would have gotten screwed in the past even when stuff was getting patches since it took roughly 2-4 weeks to get a patch and in that time, if it was easy for this to occur, a lot of people would have gotten infected etc.

No. Most people who ran Windows 7 would have Windows Update enabled and be automatically updated to Windows 10.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyhow, not that you would be convinced.

I am sure that you would just come up with more excuses.

On 04/06/2023 at 12:53, Joni_78 said:

I don’t understand why everyone is screaming like i would infect the whole world with Covid on Windows 7.

If your PC becomes infected and becomes part of a botnet or whatever, it affects the rest of us

On 04/06/2023 at 12:53, Joni_78 said:

I know what i’m doing, i have antivirus,  i’m just surfing and reading on trusted sites and programming with VS2008. This computer is not connected to any other computers in this house.

That's like saying that even though there are huge holes all over the fence, no intruder is going to get in because you hired a security guard.

Edited by Mockingbird

On 04/06/2023 at 15:53, Joni_78 said:

The fact that you seem to think your PC can't be infected because you have AV and only go to 'trusted" sites suggests you don't actually know what you are doing.  Regardless, I understand you wanting to install older operating systems to mess around with which would be perfectly fine if it wasn't connected to the Internet. Why do you have to browse the Internet on it? Do you not have any other machines do that?

• Like 2

Just to add to the debate, as long as you install the correct VC runtimes then VS2008 runs perfectly fine in Windows 10, in fact for one of our legacy applications even VS6 can be shoehorned into Win 10 if you're really desperate although that involves rather more work. I personally wouldn't be connecting Win 7 machines to the internet in this day and age, remember the RPC vulnerability in XP? I remember reading an article about that being exploited on a honeytrap machine within 2 minutes of it being connected to the internet without opening a browser and I'm sure there are similar exploits on Windows 7.

I would stick with Windows 10 if you want to run the laptop "connected" or go with an isolated VM on a modern OS if you want to play wit Windows 7 or alteratively keep the machine off the internet.

On 04/06/2023 at 22:03, Mockingbird said:

There is nothing for exploit...

...except for the OS itself

Hence, my point.

HOW can someone exploit the OS if there is nothing for them to exploit it from? ; they can't just magically hack into Windows 7 without some way to do it. which the browser would probably be the primary way, but if this is patched, the odds are against them getting into your computer as long as Firefox continues to receive updates, which it will until Sep 2024.

That's like saying that even though there are huge holes in the fence, intruders can't get in because the front gate is secure.

Bad analogy.

because it's not THAT simple for them to get in. if it was, a lot more peoples computers would be compromised, and they are not. this is just more evidence in favor of the general point I am making here.

If someone has to use Windows 7 for whatever reason, he/she needs to keep it offline.

If you want to be extra cautious, I would agree. but... like I was saying, it's not a red flag level issue if someone does use it online assuming they are using  a updated browser like Firefox, which still receives security updates on Windows 7.

No one can hack your PC because it is behind a router? LMAO.

Also, you just said that you browse the internet on Firefox.

You are overlooking the obvious and not understanding what I meant as I obviously don't mean that it's impossible to hack just because it's behind a router.

I am saying because it's behind a router, and there is no open ports or services on Windows 7 to potentially exploit, so it's not like they can magically hack into the computer as the computer is basically invisible to the internet as something (like a program (i.e. browser etc)) has to access the internet for someone to potentially exploit.

so like I said before, they would have to bypass the browser to exploit something on the Windows 7 OS itself and, while not impossible, is not likely. at the least it's not unreasonable for me to claim browsing the internet on Windows 7 with Firefox is still most likely secure enough, at least until it stops receiving updates in Sep 2024, at which point I would then agree browsing the internet on Windows 7 would be a bad idea, or at least unwise.

because while I understand flaws in the OS won't be patched, which makes it technically less secure, the question is, in the real world, are those exploits likely to be taken advantage of through a updated browser? ; not likely in my estimations, especially given Windows 7 is not used by a lot of people at this point, so hacker types probably ain't rushing out to even attempt exploiting Windows 7 flaws in the OS, especially if it's not easy for them to do.

Anyhow, not that you would be convinced.

I am sure that you would just come up with more excuses.

The reason I am not convinced is because you never reasonably proven I am wrong, so my general point still stands. so I am not making excuses, just valid points.

I am not here to mess with your or anything, I am genuinely serious here as it's a honest point.

but like I said... I would definitely recommend for people who want to continue using a computer running Windows 7 to switch to something like Linux Mint though since that will be safer to use online etc. but if they can't for whatever reason, it's probably still secure enough to use it as long as Firefox continues to receive updates, which it will until Sep 2024. but shortly after Sep 2024, then it's probably a bad idea to continue browsing the web on Windows 7 at which point it's pretty much a offline-only machine (although even then, just having the ethernet cable connected, does not automatically mean the computer is going to get a virus/hacked, because like I said, a hacker would need a way in through software etc).

Edited by ThaCrip

On 05/06/2023 at 03:03, ThaCrip said:

Hence, my point.

HOW can someone exploit the OS if there is nothing for them to exploit it from? ; they can't just magically hack into Windows 7 without some way to do it. which the browser would probably be the primary way, but if this is patched, the odds are against them getting into your computer as long as Firefox continues to receive updates, which it will until Sep 2024.

Bad analogy.

because it's not THAT simple for them to get in. if it was, a lot more peoples computers would be compromised, and they are not. this is just more evidence in favor of the general point I am making here.

If you want to be extra cautious, I would agree. but... like I was saying, it's not a red flag level issue if someone does use it online assuming they are using  a updated browser like Firefox, which still receives security updates on Windows 7.

You are overlooking the obvious and not understanding what I meant as I obviously don't mean that it's impossible to hack just because it's behind a router.

I am saying because it's behind a router, and there is no open ports or services on Windows 7 to potentially exploit, so it's not like they can magically hack into the computer as the computer is basically invisible to the internet as something (like a program (i.e. browser etc)) has to access the internet for someone to potentially exploit.

so like I said before, they would have to bypass the browser to exploit something on the Windows 7 OS itself and, while not impossible, is not likely. at the least it's not unreasonable for me to claim browsing the internet on Windows 7 with Firefox is still most likely secure enough, at least until it stops receiving updates in Sep 2024, at which point I would then agree browsing the internet on Windows 7 would be a bad idea, or at least unwise.

because while I understand flaws in the OS won't be patched, which makes it technically less secure, the question is, in the real world, are those exploits likely to be taken advantage of through a updated browser? ; not likely in my estimations, especially given Windows 7 is not used by a lot of people at this point, so hacker types probably ain't rushing out to even attempt exploiting Windows 7 flaws in the OS, especially if it's not easy for them to do.

The reason I am not convinced is because you never reasonably proven I am wrong, so my general point still stands. so I am not making excuses, just valid points.

I am not here to mess with your or anything, I am genuinely serious here as it's a honest point.

but like I said... I would definitely recommend for people who want to continue using a computer running Windows 7 to switch to something like Linux Mint though since that will be safer to use online etc. but if they can't for whatever reason, it's probably still secure enough to use it as long as Firefox continues to receive updates, which it will until Sep 2024. but shortly after Sep 2024, then it's probably a bad idea to continue browsing the web on Windows 7 at which point it's pretty much a offline-only machine (although even then, just having the ethernet cable connected, does not automatically mean the computer is going to get a virus/hacked, because like I said, a hacker would need a way in through software etc).

Sounds like your entire argument hinges on an updated browser. 

That’s an issue since it’s not the only attack vector.  Think back to the numerous routers exploited over the years. Few to  none of them relied on a client web browser to occur.

On 05/06/2023 at 07:38, adrynalyne said:

Sounds like your entire argument hinges on an updated browser.

That’s an issue since it’s not the only attack vector.  Think back to the numerous routers exploited over the years. Few to  none of them relied on a client web browser to occur.

Not entirely (although my basic point of browsing sites online pretty much does, but at that point it's probably mainly the browser that needs securing more than the Win7 OS). it pretty much hinges on HOW one can exploit flaws in the Windows 7 OS itself, which I would imagine largely boils down to bypassing the browser, which would probably be mostly exploiting the browser I would imagine, but could potentially further exploit Windows 7 flaws etc. because without some software to exploit, those unfixed flaws in the Windows 7 OS can't magically be exploited. basically it's not super easy to compromise a Windows 7 system connected to the internet is my general point where as some act like since security flaws in the OS itself are no longer patched, it automatically makes Windows 7 totally insecure to use online, which I would argue is not true (even though technically risk does increase on some level).

but I agree with your router exploit thing. but even if this were to occur, for most this won't be a real issue since flaws like that tend to be limited to a more limited amount of hardware when it comes to the common person. besides, even if a person has no firewall at all (like no hardware firewall or software firewall), 'if' there is nothing to connect to (like no software running with ports open to potentially exploit to take advantage of the potential flaws not fixed in Windows 7), I don't even think it's possible to exploit it, correct? ; hence, just having Windows 7 connected to the internet is not inherently insecure (at least in it's default state with nothing to connect to from the outside world).

if I am right there, my general point is correct in that still using Windows 7 online is not a reg flag issue and is ultimately still safe enough, at least until the browser stops being updated since once that's no longer updated, flaws will be eventually be found and could potentially be exploited to compromise Win7 etc. basically once Firefox stops being updated in Sep 2024, then not too long after that it's probably no longer a good idea to continue using Windows 7 to browse the internet on that setup. at which point one could just simply stop browsing the internet on it, like uninstall the browser etc, but leaving it connected behind a router for basic file transfers over the local network is likely still safe enough for the common user (since it's behind a router firewall).

Edited by ThaCrip
  • Facepalm 1

On 05/06/2023 at 06:37, ThaCrip said:

Not entirely (although my basic point of browsing sites online pretty much does, but at that point it's probably mainly the browser that needs securing more than the Win7 OS). it pretty much hinges on HOW one can exploit flaws in the Windows 7 OS itself, which I would imagine largely boils down to bypassing the browser, which would probably be mostly exploiting the browser I would imagine, but could potentially further exploit Windows 7 flaws etc. because without some software to exploit, those unfixed flaws in the Windows 7 OS can't magically be exploited. basically it's not super easy to compromise a Windows 7 system connected to the internet is my general point where as some act like since security flaws in the OS itself are no longer patched, it automatically makes Windows 7 totally insecure to use online, which I would argue is not true.

but I agree with your router exploit thing. but even if this were to occur, for most this won't be a real issue since flaws like that tend to be limited to a more limited amount of hardware when it comes to the common person. besides, even if a person has no firewall at all (like no hardware firewall or software firewall), 'if' there is nothing to connect to (like no software running with ports open to potentially exploit to take advantage of the potential flaws not fixed in Windows 7), I don't even think it's possible to exploit it, correct? ; hence, just having Windows 7 connected to the internet is not inherently insecure (at least in it's default state with nothing to connect to from the outside world).

if I am right there, my general point is correct in that still using Windows 7 online is not a reg flag issue and is ultimately still safe enough, at least until the browser stops being updated since once that's no longer updated, flaws will be eventually be found and could potentially be exploited to compromise Win7 etc. basically once Firefox stops being updated in Sep 2024, then not too long after that it's probably no longer a good idea to continue using Windows 7 to browse the internet on that setup. at which point one could just simple stop browsing the internet on it, like uninstall the browser etc, but leaving it connected behind a router for basic file transfers over the local network is likely still safe enough for the common user.

Why is it that you have to run Windows 7 and connect it to the internet?

Windows 10 is a free upgrade.

If you have equipment that requires Windows 7, you can keep the PC offline.

• Like 2