new computer not detecting DVD ROMs

im building a new computer for a friend but on boot up its not detecting the 2 Dvd drives, i checked the jumpers i set the them correctly and doesn't work i even tried changing them around to see if it would work but nothing. I also tried connecting one at a time to see if it would detect them and still it says none on bootup. I though it might have been the cable so i tried some different cables and the same thing happened, any one have any ideas why its not detecting them:

if it matters the motherboard its a

Asus P4S8X-X

and im trying to connect a dvd-burner and a dvd-rom

oh and i know its not the drives cuz their from another comptuer and they were working perfectly when before taking them out, my only two thoughs are that the IDE connector might be messed up or that it will detect it once it gets into windows, but the problem is that i need the dvdrom to still windows cuz the harddrives are brandnew :wacko:

Are they connected to power? Maybe stupid to ask considering all the tests you did but you never know. You said the jumpers are set properly, one is master the other is slave? Confirm the jumpers are correct. Do the LED's on the drives light up on power on? Have you tried plugging them into both the primary and secondary channels? Have you been into the bios and made sure there is no setting that is preventing normal operation? Have you tested another drive (other than the current two) like a plain old CD-ROM drive? Does ASUS' support site mention any troubles like this in it's knowledge base? Have you tested the setup with another power supply? Do the hard drives get detected?

Have you tried flipping the cable around?

I know but I had to ask.

As far as I know IDE cables work both ways, doesn't matter what side is plugged in. The one side is labeled for the motherboard because otherwise you would have to twist the cables to get the things plugged in.

I dunno either tbh but aside from power and jumpers I had nothing else to add and well it's worth a shot, I have a floppy that only works one way.

I wasn't criticizing your suggestion, just posting a clarification that I am 90% sure is true.

the power is connected to both and they both light up when i turn on the computer, its just not recognise on bootup during the bootup screen where it says

Primary Master: Maxtor....

Primary Slame: HDD #2

Secondary Master: None (should be dvd)

secondary Slave: None (should be dvd-burner)

i checked through the Bios and there's not settings that is preventing it, and the Bios is not recognizing them either

i found this somewhere

The computer BIOS is not detecting my CD drive

This isn't a big deal. Some BIOS's just can't see CD-ROM's. But, since CD operation is dictated purely by drivers and not by the BIOS, it really doesn't matter whether it sees it or not. Don't worry about it. 

i would hate to think this is the problem here cuz i need to install the Os and i need to access the cd :no:

I tried everything, so i decided to ship back the motherboard and have them send me a new one i think its that the secondary IDE connector is messed up, cuz i tried everything i can think off, different cable, different drives, check the bios, the jumpers, even tried a hard-drive and i got nothing