Need a new graphics card but

Unfortunately ?60 won't get you anything that'll run game better.

You're looking at around double that for a good gaming card.

Edit: I had no idea prices had come down so quickly.

That 9600 was under 60, it was 69 with VAT(I got no clue what this is some kind of tax for you guys or something) and is a HUGE step above a GF 4 mx 440(GF2 basically).

NM :guess you saw it too, you must have edited right when I hit the button to reply cause that wasn't thier at first lol.

cheers for advice, i know i won't get a much faster card but like i siad there are more & more games comming that will not even run with the gf4 mx 440 card, it has something missing from it that will not even allow me to start certain games.

Ive heard in the past ati cards have problems with some games or has this been sorted now & do you have one of these cards if so what do you think of it , yeah stuff get taxed 17.5% here in the uk

Well I have the 9700, it's a little better than the 9600, but rest assured the 9600 is a great card, and probably unbeatable in terms of price to performance ratio.

Anyways ATI cards run pretty much every game just fine with one huge exception and that comes to the anti-aliasing feature. Nvidia and previouse ATI cards had a supersampling function which works on almost every single game, with the 9500 series and up the radeon's only offer multisampling which has better performance and usually looks just as good. The thing is multisampling doesn't work on most games in 16bit color and may cause errors with certain new games like Madden football or Deus Ex:IW(although it works if you disable bloom).

Now recently the playing fields been narrowed a bit because current games are starting to have issues with nvidia cards and anti-aliasing as well like Halo and Splinter Cell. They are crappy console ports and don't do AA on either card. That's where most of these game errors come from because when you try and force a game to do AA(which it usually isn't programmed to do) you run into problems so it's not really ATI's fault. I have heard need for speed had some kind of bug along though but I don't know much about it.

If you don't use the anti-aliasing feature than you'll almost undoubtably be just fine I've ran into no errors on my radeon 9700, with the exception of Halo and Deus Ex:IW not liking AA on, but then I don't use AA anyway so it's a non issue for me.

Not to mention it's a DX9 card and is two generations above the card you currently have so it'll be a huge jump.

I build computers so no worries about the shipping cost, might have to try out one of these ati cards then from the looks of it.

cheers all the adivce nice if people still left some comments

Well the 9200 is crap I'd stay away from that, the 9200's(based on the radeon 8500 kinda) kinda like the GF4(the real one not that MX you got) in terms of power and if you want to go that generation than I feel a geforce 4 Ti would be the way to go because on the directX 8 generation of cards Nvidia was at the top of thier game in both performance and driver stability and compatability. So if you're looking at the DX8 generation of cards stay with nvidia and get a true Geforce 4.

The 9600 SE he linked to is slightly slower than the one I posted but still a good card, you might consider that one.

Although I still think the one I posted is the best bang for the buck.

mAcOdIn posted the best choice the 9600. Don't bother with the 9600SE sure the clock speed is a bit lower but the memory bus width is half 9600=128bit 9600SE=64bit. From the reviews I've seen this makes the 9600SE quite a bit slower than the 9600. Also only ?13 difference between the 2. I'd try and get an extra ?12.45(the total with delivery and VAT for the 9600 is ?72.45).