Javascript on Desktop

Hi

I've written a "vague clock" (it's nearly quarter to ten in the evening) in JavaScript, and was wondering if there were some way to present this as a desktop widget?

Open to ideas.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 02:17, xfx said:

There are hundreds of GUI libraries and frameworks for JS apps.
This is one of them: https://docs.nodegui.org/

I am coming at it from a different angle: that being a desktop widget framework that will allow me to use JS as a language for scripting.

I believe I’ve found a solution; xWidgets

• Like 1

could also use electron (🤮).

On 04/07/2023 at 22:01, Dick Montage said:

I've written a "vague clock" (it's nearly quarter to ten in the evening)

I know this isn't the point of the discussion, but can I ask...

Br00TCn.gif

I love applying Marvin the Android personalities to things ("Not that anyone cares, but it's nearly quarter to ten in the evening" and so on) but surely you either want to know the time or you don't? :laugh: Or is it like I'm guessing, and just a novelty or part of an exercise?

I might take a look at XWidget...there have been a couple of topics about widgets recently that have made me think that while I like a desktop with no icons, I could maybe add some more functionality to it. Thanks for the tip!

On 05/07/2023 at 08:56, Nick H. said:

I know this isn't the point of the discussion, but can I ask...

Br00TCn.gif

I love applying Marvin the Android personalities to things ("Not that anyone cares, but it's nearly quarter to ten in the evening" and so on) but surely you either want to know the time or you don't? :laugh: Or is it like I'm guessing, and just a novelty or part of an exercise?

I might take a look at XWidget...there have been a couple of topics about widgets recently that have made me think that while I like a desktop with no icons, I could maybe add some more functionality to it. Thanks for the tip!  

You know... it was one of those "This is an interesting little project" things.  I don't care for the exact time (when using this PC) more just "Oh, wow, it's bedtime" sorta thing.  Also, I adore "natural speaking" things - conversant interfaces.

And then it evolved, and I'm giving it a nice little tickle every now and then to improve the code.

On 06/07/2023 at 00:21, xfx said:

Maybe you could share the repo if you decide to make it open-source?

I'd gladly share it, but JavaScript is a language I only use for stupid fun stuff - not used it in a commercial environment in years - am sure there are better examples out there.  But like I say, sure - will upload at some point :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought that the Rainmeter software was ideal for this sort of thing; clocks / cpu meters / visualisers ?

Xwidget looks super too.

• 5 months later...
On 06/07/2023 at 10:59, adrynalyne said:

You are evil.  Pure evil.

Electron is great if you know what you're doing and don't need to rely on the node.js/modules part of it. I use it as a very basic shell for my hosted web apps so I can have a clean ui and seamless printing and other simple os integrations that are all built in electron function. It's still always over 100mb though lol, I should probably take a look at WebView2, however I need it to work on Mac and Linux.

On 06/07/2023 at 10:59, adrynalyne said:

You are evil.  Pure evil.

When have I claimed otherwise?