Kroger Gas Pump Fuel Injector Cleaner - Worth It?

I always fill up my car at the Kroger gas station. While fueling they try to sell you fuel injector cleaner. All you have to do is push the button for it and it's automatically added to your gas as you fill up.

I have a few problems with this. First, how do you know if it actually added the cleaner into the gas line? For all I know it doesn't do anything and just takes your money.
Next, how do you know how much it actually added, and maybe it's been sitting in the tanks forever and has expired, got water in it, etc.
I just don't like how it's behind the scenes, but I do like the convenience of it.
The last time I tried to add octane booser into my car it ended up all pouring down the side of my car despite the bottle being all the way in the filler, so I don't like to use the bottles from the auto parts store when possible.

I would recommend filing up at Costco, Chevron, or Shell which are top tier rated. 

I have seen this additive but I don't know anyone who has used them. 

I would suggest using Chevron's Techron or Lucas products for fuel injector cleaners. Octane boosters are useless and a waste of money for non-carbureted engines. The vehicles PCM/ECU automatically adjusts the octane level if it's above OEM spec. If you want better performance and added cleaning, go with Chevron's 94 Premium fuel which contains zero ethanol. 

I also suggest reading up on ethanol fuel and why it's not good for our vehicles.

Unless you're having problems with your fuel injectors, this cleaner stuff probably doesn't do anything.  There's lots of discussions about these products, and most people seem to think they're snake oil.

Sea Foam is one of the more known brands, and they say to dump the can in at around 1/4 tank.  A can of that stuff is around $10, so unless the Kroger mix added ~$1/gal, I'd question how concentrated of a mix you were given.  Likely not enough to do anything.
Either way, there's lots of videos of Sea Form (and like products) making huge exhaust smoke plumes.  I tend to think that's not a good thing.

On 11/08/2023 at 02:50, Lassie said:

I would recommend filing up at Costco, Chevron, or Shell which are top tier rated. 

I have seen this additive but I don't know anyone who has used them. 

I would suggest using Chevron's Techron or Lucas products for fuel injector cleaners. Octane boosters are useless and a waste of money for non-carbureted engines. The vehicles PCM/ECU automatically adjusts the octane level if it's above OEM spec. If you want better performance and added cleaning, go with Chevron's 94 Premium fuel which contains zero ethanol. 

I also suggest reading up on ethanol fuel and why it's not good for our vehicles.

Timing* a PCM/ECM can't adjust octane.... lol

The problem with most modern fuel injected cars is that their direct injection instead of in the intake manifold/ports, so even if you add in additives that are meant to reduce carbon buildup it bypasses the valves... 

Also if your having issues with using the bottles from an auto store use a funnel or even an adapter, your meant to shove the bottles down into the filler neck as quick as possible to avoid spillage.

Modern (since like the '70s) fuel injectors are self cleaning. They require no maintenance. They either work as they should, or they need replaced.

Don't spend money on injector cleaner. If your vehicle doesn't require it, don't buy premium fuel. Oil additives can sometimes be beneficial, but if you buy quality lubricant it isn't necessary, and using additives may void your warranty. Something that requires a (very little) bit of research is tires: Expensive doesn't mean better in a lot of cases. Kuhmo makes a really good 'performance' tire for half or more less than premium brands.

Finally, like anything else on the internet, everyone is an expert and no one is ever wrong. And they don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about. In other words, your mileage may vary.

I would be EXTREMELY weary of the value of ANY additive dispensed & charged extra for from a gas pump...you have no way of knowing if you actually got what you paid extra for, nor the quantity or quality of it....

As others have said, modern injectors are essentially maintenance free, unless you regularly used old, crappy, expired gas, which you won't get from a name brand gas station pump anyway...and the only cars that benefit from premium fuel are high-end performance cars like porsche, ferarri, maserati, lambo, 'vette etc

And modern cars are designed (and warrantied) to use synthetic oil, which contains all the necessary additives to work properly, and does NOT need any additional ones...

Finally, if you see the smoke effect shown in the video above, you are doing/have done more harm than good to your engine....

I haven't used any cleaners in years. I did various google searches for if fuel injector cleaners are actually useful and the general consensus I gathered was yes,