iPhone 13 mini; get it now or wait for new iPhone availability?

In my other thread I asked whether or not it's wise to stay with an iPhone 8 after iOS17 will be released.

I think it's better to get a new phone. I also think the iPhone 13 mini [kind of same form factor as iPhone 8] is more 'futureproof' with FaceID, better cameras, larger screen etc than the iPhone SE 2022.

But.... seeing that the new iPhone 15 will be released next month, or October, is it wise - stock & availability taken into account - to get it now already, or wait for a potential price drop (and by how much) after the iPhone 15 is announced?

If this is for your parents from the other thread, I’d just wait for the new iPhone 15, but grab a previous model at a lower cost. I would actually not opt for mini as older people generally prefer larger phones for the larger display. You also get better battery life with the larger models (12/13/14 compared to iPhone 12/13 mini) 

On 15/08/2023 at 05:18, tsupersonic said:

If this is for your parents from the other thread, I’d just wait for the new iPhone 15, but grab a previous model at a lower cost. I would actually not opt for mini as older people generally prefer larger phones for the larger display. You also get better battery life with the larger models (12/13/14 compared to iPhone 12/13 mini) 

Thx.

At the end of the day the larger displays doesn’t mean larger fonts/sizes on iPhone I noticed, it’s just more text.

Or it must be set from the settings, but than it looks ugly as h*ll and hearing my parents about those magnified screens… it’s a no-go 😉

On 15/08/2023 at 17:22, kiddingguy said:

Thx.

At the end of the day the larger displays doesn’t mean larger fonts/sizes on iPhone I noticed, it’s just more text.

Or it must be set from the settings, but than it looks ugly as h*ll and hearing my parents about those magnified screens… it’s a no-go 😉

Since iPhone 6, you have the option to use Standard or Zoomed view... You can either use that or just make the text bigger in display/accessibility settings...

On 15/08/2023 at 12:08, aioraito said:

Since iPhone 6, you have the option to use Standard or Zoomed view... You can either use that or just make the text bigger in display/accessibility settings...

Yeah I know. But Zoomed view is nothing more than a 'magnifier'. For a larger screen with 125% zoomed sizing the larger display would contain the same kind of information as compared to a smaller size screen with 100%/regular zoomed view.

On 15/08/2023 at 05:22, kiddingguy said:

Thx.

It's not just text. If your parents watch videos, then larger screen is nicer to have. Really a personal preference. If they have access to a store that has both the standard iPhone 13 and a iPhone 13 mini, they can choose between the two. The Mini is discontinued so if they get used to the 13 Mini size, they'll be SOL when trying to upgrade next time. 

On 15/08/2023 at 16:51, tsupersonic said:

It's not just text. If your parents watch videos, then larger screen is nicer to have. Really a personal preference. If they have access to a store that has both the standard iPhone 13 and a iPhone 13 mini, they can choose between the two. The Mini is discontinued so if they get used to the 13 Mini size, they'll be SOL when trying to upgrade next time. 

I have an iPhone XS/14 Pro, so they can see what the screen size is like (compared to a 'regular' model).

The mini is just for the same-like form factor as the iPhone 8 [they're currently having].

• 2 weeks later...

So, to get back to the original question...

is it wise for them to buy the 13 mini now?
Or will there be a (huge) price drop after the iPhone 15 announcement on 3rd party sites like amazon?

On 26/08/2023 at 05:06, kiddingguy said:

So, to get back to the original question...

is it wise for them to buy the 13 mini now?
Or will there be a (huge) price drop after the iPhone 15 announcement on 3rd party sites like amazon?

The regular iPhone 13 will drop in price with the release of the iPhone 15. It’s hard to say what will happen with the 13 mini as it’s no longer being produced with the latest iPhones. It could dip in price as it becomes older or it could increase in value as it is the last mini (for now). Apple will most likely discontinue sales with the release of the iPhone 15. On Swappa, the 13 mini is going for anywhere from $415-620, depending on condition. There’s also supposed to be an SE4 coming out next year, if you also want to wait for that to decide.