Planning to get a Intel D875PBZLK

Hello,

I plan on purchasing an Intel D875PBZLK FMB 1.5 motherboard along with a 3.2G P4 Extreme Edition within the next few days.

I am confused about memory choices. I would like to get 1GB (2x512) of the Corsair XMS DDR, but I've heard of issues with this board and corsair memory. There are also many versions of this memory. I realize that I need at least DDR3200, but there are other modules up to DDR3700.

Also, the board states that it supports dual channel memory, but I'm not really sure what this entails other than two sticks of 512MB to get to 1024MB (1GB)

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

i dont mean to stray from the point, but its highly NOT recomended to go with a Expensive Edtion Pentium 4. Perhaps you should get a 3.4GHz NW C?

it looks as if with the Intel 875P chipset you will not be overclocking, so its safe to assume all you would need is Crosair XMS PC3200 Dual Channel Kit.

also if you were planning on spending that much, i would recomend a WD740GD 10,000RPM hard drive. that would boost your speed quite a bit from your 7200rpm hard drives :)

The D875PBZ doesn't overclock at all. So if you're an overclocker don't get an Intel Motherboard.

The 3.4 Pentium 4 C "Northwood" Is faster than the 3.2EE and a lot cheaper man. :yes:

I recommend the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe!

h4xor,

Thanks for your response, but I am set on getting this CPU. I noticed that you are running an Athlon 64 bit proc.

All things considered, it seems that you too are an early adopter of new tech. Even with all of the OS/driver issues that 64 bit processing introduces.

Admittedly, I'm an Intel fanboy and finally have the money to spend on an outragous CPU.

You're right about the 10K-RPM drive, thanks.

h4xor,

Thanks for your response, but I am set on getting this CPU.  I noticed that you are running an Athlon 64 bit proc.

All things considered, it seems that you too are an early adopter of new tech.  Even with all of the OS/driver issues that 64 bit processing introduces.

Admittedly, I'm an Intel fanboy and finally have the money to spend on an outragous CPU.

You're right about the 10K-RPM drive, thanks.

Listen man don't do it. the 3.4 Pentium 4 Northwood is faster than the 3.2EE. Don't be stupid.

Like I said before if you want to overclock the D875PBZ is not the board for you!!

From One Intel Fanboy to another.. seriously the P4C 3.4 will be cheaper and better! and for Memory go for Corsair TwinX-LL (Low Latency). :woot:

the pentium 4 extreme edition isnt really a 'new' technology. its basically the high end xeon (or is it the itanium Staind?) chip rebranded.

you could save alot of money and gain alot of performance just by getting a 3.4ghz c and the WD740GD and a Asus P4C800-D as Staind suggested.

if you must get the EE, then you will be fine with the Corsair XMS PC3200 1GB Dual Channel Kit as i posted earlier :)

Listen man don't do it. the 3.4 Pentium 4 Northwood is faster than the 3.2EE. Don't be stupid.

Like I said before if you want to overclock the D875PBZ is not the board for you!!

From One Intel Fanboy to another.. seriously the P4C 3.4 will be cheaper and better! and for Memory go for Corsair TwinX-LL (Low Latency). :woot:

I also have the low-latency version of the xms and i can get some tight timings 2.2.2.5 here :)

The D875PBZ doesn't overclock at all. So if you're an overclocker don't get an Intel Motherboard.

The 3.4 Pentium 4 C "Northwood" Is faster than the 3.2EE and a lot cheaper man. :yes:

I recommend the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe!

I agree. However, I have no plans to overclock... ever.

I've had many a mobo, from many different manufacturers. I've finally settled on Intel parts only.

After all, there is nothing like plugging an Intel part into another Intel part. :)

The P4 3.4C is infact faster, in clock only. ... at least thats what I thought. The extra cache in the EE is what I'm after to make up for the **** poor FSB evolutions.

Does anyone know the answers to my original questions?

I agree. However, I have no plans to overclock... ever.

I've had many a mobo, from many different manufacturers. I've finally settled on Intel parts only.

After all, there is nothing like plugging an Intel part into another Intel part. :)

The P4 3.4C is infact faster, in clock only. ... at least thats what I thought. The extra cache in the EE is what I'm after to make up for the **** poor FSB evolutions.

your loss :(

but anyway, what other questions do you have besides the memory?

I agree.  However, I have no plans to overclock... ever.

I've had many a mobo, from many different manufacturers.  I've finally settled on Intel parts only.

After all, there is nothing like plugging an Intel part into another Intel part.  :)

The P4 3.4C is infact faster, in clock only.  ... at least thats what I thought.  The extra cache in the EE is what I'm after to make up for the **** poor FSB evolutions.

Both of them have the same FSB. It's obvious you know nothing about Processor Architecture and being blinded by "marketing" EE.. shhessh... :blink:

Dude you're being completely ignorant.

Clock speed > L3 Cache (2MB)

I already answered your questions. Read!

MEMORY: CORSAIR DDR400 TWINX-LL 1GB Package.

Ok, listening. Maybe I'm wrong.

Is the P4 3.4 northwood readily available, or is this an upcoming fab? Although I haven't looked that hard, I haven't seen it on any of the web stores. (newegg and tigerdirect)

Also, not that I don't believe you, but are there any benchmark comparisons that are available on-line?

I really appreciate your input!

Both of them have the same FSB. It's obvious you know nothing about Processor Architecture and being blinded by "marketing" EE.. shhessh... :blink:

Dude you're being completely ignorant.

Clock speed > L3 Cache (2MB)

I already answered your questions. Read!

MEMORY: CORSAIR DDR400 TWINX-LL 1GB Package.

Well, I'm not ignorant, but I could possibly be blinded by the marketing hash. :yes:

However, I was referring to the FSB's lack of evolution to keep up with processor technology. Intel put the extra cache in the EE to make up for the 800Mhz cap on the bus. Hence, my comment!

... be nice please.

its not "readilly" available but u should be able tyo find it. im surprised noone has suggested amd tho. the fx53 will kick all of these procs asses.

Hmmm, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not an AMD fan. No offense, just personal preference.

your loss :(

but anyway, what other questions do you have besides the memory?

What about the Dual Channel question. I feel like an idiot for not knowing this, but are 2 sticks of the XMS dual channel, or do I need to look for something in particular?

Just to clarify, the P4 3.4 "Northwood" some of you are recommending..... this isn't the "Prescott" fab, is it?

I am recommending the 3.4 Northwood, I belive it'll be plenty for you but if you have the cash go for the 3.4EE!! :p

There are 3 different 3.4GHz Pentium 4's

1. 3.4 EE (8K L1 Cache, 512K L2 Cache, 2MB L3 Cache)

BOX CODE: BX80532PG3400F

http://www.spartantech.com/product.asp?m1=...D800%2D3402MBOX

2. 3.4C "Northwood" (8K L1 Cache, 512K L2 Cache)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-116-168&depa=0

BOX CODE: BX80532PG3400D

3. 3.4E GHz "Prescott". (16K L1 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache)

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=59260

BOX CODE: BX80532PG3400E

Of all of these. The 3.4GHz EE is the fastest and most expensive. :)

What about the Dual Channel question.  I feel like an idiot for not knowing this, but are 2 sticks of the XMS dual channel, or do I need to look for something in particular?

Dual Channel is automatically activated when you install Identical Pairs of Memory in to Opposite Slots.

For 2 Modules you insert them into Slots 1 and 3. and for 4 modules well duh you put them in all 4 slots.

Dual Channel will be automatically activated and requires no user intervention.

There are 3 different 3.4's

1. 3.4 EE (8K L1 Cache, 512K L2 Cache, 2MB L3 Cache)

BOX CODE: BX80532PG3400F

http://www.spartantech.com/product.asp?m1=...D800%2D3402MBOX

2. 3.4 "Northwood" (8K L1 Cache, 512K L2 Cache)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-116-168&depa=0

BOX CODE: BX80532PG3400D

3. 3.4GHz "Prescott". (16K L1 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache)

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=59260

BOX CODE: BX80532PG3400E

Of all of these. The 3.4GHz EE is the fastest and most expensive. :)

Stain, you the man! Thanks! (so streety)

Seriously, does anyone know of benchmark results, available on-line, that compare the EE to the 3.4 northwood?

Dual Channel is automatically activated when you install Identical Pairs of Memory in to Opposite Slots.

For 2 Modules you insert them into Slots 1 and 3. and for 4 modules well duh you put them in all 4 slots.

Dual Channel will be automatically activated and requires no user intervention.

Perfect. Thats what I was looking for! Thanks!