Which monitor to get?

My desktop needs a new monitor and I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on what kind to get? I like to play games and surf the web and watching a DVD every now and then :) (if that matters when buying one) and I would like something thats easy on the eyes :)

Right now the one I have is a 17in.

The games I play are Command & Conquer Tibierain Sun,Tibierain Sun Firestorm,Yuri's Revenge,Renegade and Generals Zero Hour.

UT2003(soon to be UT2004 :) )

Thanks for the help,

Aaron :)

I'd stay away from LCD's if you are a gamer. If you have the money the Sony E540 is incredible.

(N)

Not if you get the right LCD. I have a Gateway FPD1730 and it works better than CRT, even for gaming. I love it.

ALL LCD's blur when you play games with fast movements (especially FPS)

Also

all LCDs are inherently color flawed to some degree.
The truth is response time only measure the time it took from complete black to complete white and vice versa. However, in real world situations, most transitions take place between two grey color points, which usually take longer than the listed response time. Thus, the response time is not the whole story on how fast an LCD screen is.
Edited by jeavis

ALL LCD's blur when you play games with fast movements (especially FPS)

What are you smoking? Whatever it is, hook me up :laugh:

Are you saying that you can't play a single game on Apple's LCD screens? Hah! Come on. If you buy a cheap LCD, sure, it'll blur. But if you have a good LCD with a nice response time, you're set.

For example, this Samsung 172x has a 12ms response time, which comes out to be better than a CRT monitor for gaming.

zoom_screen_01.gif

zoom_screen_02.gif

zoom_screen_03.gif

zoom_screen_04.gif

samsung.jpg

613256063.jpg

Reviews:

PCStats.com review link: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1033

Extreme overclocking review link: http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews...ung_172x_1.html

Also, you can wait for OLED screens (coming out in the near future) which blow away anything out today. Google it for more info.

damn u hellbender, i want it. :cry: how much?

Under $600. Its a great price, considering its 17" and one of the best LCD monitors out in the market. Sharp, crisp picture, great response time, and very low power consumption (Y)

And.. Wall-mountable!

degas_fea_05.jpg

degas_fea_04.jpg

i do wonder what the response time on apple's displays are...

*runs off to research*

hmm, ok, so who knows what the response times are for apple cinema displays? i couldn't find it.

Edited by isus

I have the NEC MultiSync LCD1765 17" Monitor with a 16ms response time. I watch DVD's and play the occasional Doom game on it and it is outstanding. No bluring at all.

Check it out: NEC LCD

Price is 499.99 at Best Buy right now

LCD1765_left_big.jpg

Well maybe the samsung is the exception to the rule but the Dell UltraSharp 2001FP I use @ work is terrible for games.

:D i've had my 190fp for about 5 months now and have had no type of problems playing games, i mainly play Cod, Tron, XIII, and Black Hawk Down, i love the monitor no problems with DVI, or VGA so i maybe is just the 20" you have...